Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, MarkO said:

Coincidentally I posted in the other thread it appeared to be snow per your cam. Precip falling to my northe per radar and visual, but I think it's sleet. :/

Actually surprised by how much snow has already fallen... P&C says less than an inch, but it looks like about an inch so far (by eye, haven't measured yet)

And speaking of which... is the P&C wrong, or is something going to change? It's snowing moderate to heavy, approaching an inch of accumulation, temp is 23, and it's supposed to snow through the day tomorrow... yet the P&C gives 1" overnight and <1" tomorrow. Doesn't make sense... 

16 minutes ago, alex said:

Actually surprised by how much snow has already fallen... P&C says less than an inch, but it looks like about an inch so far (by eye, haven't measured yet)

And speaking of which... is the P&C wrong, or is something going to change? It's snowing moderate to heavy, approaching an inch of accumulation, temp is 23, and it's supposed to snow through the day tomorrow... yet the P&C gives 1" overnight and <1" tomorrow. Doesn't make sense... 

Alex.  Im looking at the 18Z GFS.  You get almost an inch of qpf over the next 24 hours.  The temperatures at the surface and above seem like they don't warm through this period.  So if you are already snowing at a good clip its going to continue.  Look at the radar and all that moisture streaming your way.  The weatherbell clown map Im looking at has over 10" for the Whites during this period.   You might not get that much but if I was a betting man your going to get many, many inches.  In my humble opion a Winter Storm Warning should be issued for the Whites.

I think the clown maps are way over-done. The GFS one especially. 

We had a good steady period of snow but now back to IP/ZR mix with some snow grains.  The good flakes are gone as I don't consider snow grains as "snowing".  

Roads are snow/slush packed and it's definitely winter at 24F and this precip falling out of the sky.  All white though with just the tops of grass blades poking out.  

Winter storm feel but doubt we hit any warning criteria.

Event totals: 0.8” Snow/1.07” L.E.

Precipitation has been a mix of snow and sleet from what I’ve seen, but there also must have been some freezing rain in there at times.

Today’s accumulation core off the boards was one of the more challenging ones I’ve had to deal with.  There’s a refrozen layer about a tenth of an inch down that just didn’t want to budge.  I had to bring a board in and hit it with a hair dryer for a minute or two before I could finally soften it up enough for the core.  It was still a somewhat messy process, so I’ve got another board softening up to confirm it later. 

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.42 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 1.9

Snow Density: 52.2% H2O

Temperature: 26.1 F

Sky: Sleet

Snow at the stake: 1.0 inches

29 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Looking out the hotel window, seems like nothing but cloudy skies here in Montreal. 

They have a warning for 10-20 millimeters of freezing rain beginning later today it looks like. We never went to all snow and had mainly a sleet fest overnight.

16 minutes ago, eyewall said:

They have a warning for 10-20 millimeters of freezing rain beginning later today it looks like. We never went to all snow and had mainly a sleet fest overnight.

Yeah, I’ve got to get my son up so we can hit the road soon. Probably not the best decision to come up this weekend. 

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Ahh nothing like a sleet and freezing rain event on April 15th.

Grass is covered in sleet/snow mix and landscape is white.  Icing in progress.

This is putting quite a nice shot of liquid equivalent onto/into the pack – we’ve had close to ¾” of frozen liquid down here by now, so the mountains will of course be higher, and there’s still more to come over the next couple of days.  It should be fun to see how the rest of the week plays out at elevation after this warmer push in the early part of the week:

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

745 PM EDT Sun Apr 15 2018

.LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY THROUGH SUNDAY/...

As of 318 PM EDT Sunday...A large upper low will slowly push eastward into the Canadian Maritimes on Wednesday, keeping the threat of showers around through midweek. Though there may be a very brief break in the precipitation Wednesday night, a couple of waves of low pressure will bring more rain and snow to the region Thursday and Friday. It`s not till later Saturday or Sunday that we`ll finally get high pressure to build in and dry things out. Temperatures will remain below normal through the entire period, right up through next weekend. Daytime highs will be warm enough for rain, but snow is more likely during the overnights, especially over the higher terrain.

Impressive cold month we have unfolding right now. First 20+ days of April are running -6 degrees below average ...don't see how that doesn't deepen this week with the highest temps barely cresting 45 in the CPV after today.  CPC says we have another month of below average temps coming as well.  Hopefully that means lows and sunny in May and not 50s and rain. HA

37 minutes ago, adk said:

Impressive cold month we have unfolding right now. First 20+ days of April are running -6 degrees below average ...don't see how that doesn't deepen this week with the highest temps barely cresting 45 in the CPV after today.  CPC says we have another month of below average temps coming as well.  Hopefully that means lows and sunny in May and not 50s and rain. HA

Really putting a crimp in any golf plans. Our fairways were finally starting to clear but with this stuff glued to them and no real big warmups in sight, it may be two more weeks before we open. 

2 hours ago, mreaves said:

Really putting a crimp in any golf plans. Our fairways were finally starting to clear but with this stuff glued to them and no real big warmups in sight, it may be two more weeks before we open. 

Yea. BCC's tenative opening was the 15th. Then the 22nd. Then the 27th.  Now....I have doubts about that.  This ice event was brutal for soil conditions. There is so much water in the soil right now and this week is going to not dry a ounce of that water up.  

Archived