Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

dryslot

4 minutes ago, amarshall said:

I took the lens cover off when i opened. My P3 had better video quality than my mavic

That stinks.  Eyewall is the go to guy with Mavics.  He had a P3 first then upgraded.  Lots of info on the net.  Im waiting for the P5 to upgrade.  Love my P4.  Good Luck.  Maybe its faulty and you can return?  Amazon allows 30 days...

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did some post processing with Adobe Premiere Elements which is actually very limited. I didn't do much video with the P3 but I find the quality comparable. You have to watch your focus with the Mavic which may be an issue you are having. There are also different modes to shoot in and I am not sure what you are using (I am using the default 4K setting on mine). I mainly use it for stills but have started using the video more lately. For stills I touch up in lightroom. I only wish the Mavic had the P4 camera. I didn't go P4 because I wanted the portability.

Rain/snow mix now with crashing temperatures (edit: mostly snow now, albeit light). Over an inch of rain today at the nearest mesonet station up in Searsburg (I will get my own once finances permit [and snow melts]...probably a Davis VP2). Precipitation is about to end though. Gusty west wind, but not as bad as it was a couple of hours ago.

Although my experience is still limited, this location seems to have a very hard time mixing out in pre-cold frontal situations. Twice now since I've been up here I get socked in with dense fog, virtually no wind and temperatures rotting in the low to mid 30s while a light glaze slowly drips off the trees. We had a bit of a glaze last night and into early this morning, porch was a sheet of ice before sun came up. It was 29° F around 11 PM last night and then it slowly rose overnight. Even Woodford to my NW has more of a propensity to mix out per their mesonet stations on route 9.

Went to North Adams earlier before the FROPA and they were mixed out with E and SE winds and temps in the high 40s while I was fogged in at 34° F.  Coming back up here immediately post FROPA, North Adams was gusty and out of the west with heavy rain showers, 48° F. As I came up route 8/100, I hit a foggy cold pocket that didn't mix out a bit north of the VT line, car thermo briefly dropped to 36° F around 1400-1500'. Meanwhile, I arrive back here and it's above the inversion, with a very gusty W wind and 41° F. It was raining at varying intensities all the while. A couple of photos from yesterday's glaze before it got dark.

IMG_0314.JPG

IMG_0315.JPG

3 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

Rain/snow mix now with crashing temperatures (edit: mostly snow now, albeit light). Over an inch of rain today at the nearest mesonet station up in Searsburg (I will get my own once finances permit [and snow melts]...probably a Davis VP2). Precipitation is about to end though. Gusty west wind, but not as bad as it was a couple of hours ago.

Although my experience is still limited, this location seems to have a very hard time mixing out in pre-cold frontal situations. Twice now since I've been up here I get socked in with dense fog, virtually no wind and temperatures rotting in the low to mid 30s while a light glaze slowly drips off the trees. We had a bit of a glaze last night and into early this morning, porch was a sheet of ice before sun came up. It was 29° F around 11 PM last night and then it slowly rose overnight. Even Woodford to my NW has more of a propensity to mix out per their mesonet stations on route 9.

Went to North Adams earlier before the FROPA and they were mixed out with E and SE winds and temps in the high 40s while I was fogged in at 34° F.  Coming back up here immediately post FROPA, North Adams was gusty and out of the west with heavy rain showers, 48° F. As I came up route 8/100, I hit a foggy cold pocket that didn't mix out a bit north of the VT line, car thermo briefly dropped to 36° F around 1400-1500'. Meanwhile, I arrive back here and it's above the inversion, with a very gusty W wind and 41° F. It was raining at varying intensities all the while. A couple of photos from yesterday's glaze before it got dark.

Love your observations and photos, man.  Thanks for taking the time to pass them along.  I've always loved that area in S.VT and know its a surprising "weenie" location due to the high plateau.  Had friends who grew up in Wilmington and Halifax, and visiting them it was always an entirely different world.  From a weather standpoint, growing up it was always the place I was fascinated with.  The Albany weather would always have SVT in the highest snow, coldest temps, most frequent severe t-storms, exciting weather in general.

Ground whitened up with graupel/snow mix very quick.  CAA streamers igniting and getting enhanced from the Spine, classic autumn or spring season look and feel when its pouring graupel to whiten the wet ground.  Pretty ugly out, nothing like driveway mud season with a coating of dippin dots.  Every foot step sinks in an inch or so, like walking on a giant sponge around here lately.

Back to 32F with 1.75sm -SN at the ASOS...we've come full circle from warm frontal 33/32 snow yesterday evening, to pouring rain and up into the 40...and now back down to freezing with frozen flying again. 

METAR KMVL 050030Z AUTO 26007KT 1 3/4SM -SN OVC021 00/M03 A2942 RMK P0002

oNaJ3r4.gif

This is some high-end wind this evening.  Gusts recorded to 45mph at a station near town (extremely rare at that station)... vertical profile of wind gusts all in the town of Stowe:

4kft... 66mph, gusting 96mph

1,500ft... Gust to 59mph so far

800ft... Gust to 45mph, very rare for this station/elevation. 

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This is some high-end wind this evening.  Gusts recorded to 45mph at a station near town (extremely rare at that station)... vertical profile of wind gusts all in the town of Stowe:

4kft... 66mph, gusting 96mph

1,500ft... Gust to 59mph so far

800ft... Gust to 45mph, very rare for this station/elevation. 

Yeah, the wind is crazy. I was in my office until 8:00 and didn’t realize how windy it was getting. Absolutely roaring at times. 

Back online after 10 hours without power.  The biggest damage was my Stratus rain gauge that was bungeed to a post on my deck.  Bungee broke and now Stratus is in plastic pieces on the deck.  Time for a shiny new one.

Looking forward to my 2-4" of snow tomorrow.   2" more inches and I break 90"....

The latest BTV NWS projected accumulations map for the upcoming storm is below – the forecast seems to be generally 1-3” for the valleys, with a bit more shown in a few spots.  Checking on point forecasts for some areas around here above 2,000’ I’m seeing projected accumulations in the 2-5” range.  We’ll have to see how it plays out in the higher elevations, but falling later in the afternoon and into the evening could set things up for a nice coating on the slopes for tomorrow morning.

06APR18A.jpg

41 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Wintry appeal.  It's not even wet snow given the temps and I bet ratios are like 12-14:1, haha.

Jeez J.Spin, that looks impressive.  Was only eyeballing 1.5-2" here.

Well, ratio here was 14.3:1, just like you estimated, so snow production was pretty efficient.  We got a couple more tenths after 6:00 P.M. board clearings, but it’s tapered off now.  The forecast does suggest the chance for a bit more snow though, and there’s some moisture visible upstream on the regional radar.

Event totals: 4.1” Snow/0.25” L.E.

Details from the 12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 30.6 F

Sky: Mostly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 3.5 inches

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 29.3 F

Sky: Mostly Clear

Snow at the stake: 4.0 inches

Below is the north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas from this this latest winter storm.  Accumulations generally look to be in the 2-4” range in the northern half of the state and the 6-8” range in the southern half of the state.

Jay Peak: 4”

Burke: 3”

Smuggler’s Notch: 2”

Stowe: 2”

Bolton Valley: 3”

Mad River Glen: 4”

Sugarbush: 4”

Middlebury: 4”

Pico: 6”

Killington: 6”

Okemo: 7”

Bromley: 7”

Magic Mountain: 8”

Stratton: 7”

Mount Snow: 6”

2 hours ago, J.Spin said:

Below is the north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas from this this latest winter storm.  Accumulations generally look to be in the 2-4” range in the northern half of the state and the 6-8” range in the southern half of the state.

Jay Peak: 4”

Burke: 3”

Smuggler’s Notch: 2”

Stowe: 2”

Bolton Valley: 3”

Mad River Glen: 4”

Sugarbush: 4”

Middlebury: 4”

Pico: 6”

Killington: 6”

Okemo: 7”

Bromley: 7”

Magic Mountain: 8”

Stratton: 7”

Mount Snow: 6”

We ended up with 3" on the upper half of the mountain, but kept 2" on the report because 1) its April and 2) was too late checking the High Road stake.  I was tied up with something else and by the time Andre got there that ship had sailed.  2.25" roughly at the parking lot level.  3" at 3,000ft about two-thirds up the mountain.  A quick few hour period of snow to dust the mountain, nothing overly exciting but nice to see.  Occasional flakes in the air today too, mixed with sunshine.  If its going to be cold there should be flakes in the air.

GNS3heH.jpg

Archived