Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 6:19 PM, powderfreak said:

It's crazy how filled in the mountain is after these two storm cycles that dropped 69" at 3,000ft in 11 days.

Oh man, you aren’t kidding.  I’ve been wanting to get up there ever since I saw your images.  We didn’t head up into the alpine that weekend because of the very cold wind chills, but I finally brought my ski program group up above tree line yesterday because the weather was so great.  That was a real plastering up there – even the usually wind-scoured places up on The Chin have snow on them, and people were skinning right up to the summit on an unblemished carpet of white.  The snow was still solidly wintry up there, having not seen any thaw-freeze cycles, and it was so good that the kids made their first descent of Hourglass Chute.  I’ve added a few images below, and the rest can be found in yesterday’s trip report.

25MAR18E.jpg

25MAR18G.jpg

25MAR18L.jpg

25MAR18C.jpg

25MAR18D.jpg

9 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I heard some ticks on the window and I see we’ve got some sleet and granular snow falling outside with a bit of accumulation.

Actual snow squall here. Haven’t really been paying much attention to the forecast so it’s a bit unexpected, at least by me. 

Interesting phenomenon occurring in my slowly melting snow pack known as "cupping", which results from the sun warming tree trunks and melting the snow right around them. Scouring from wind when the snow is still powdery likely contributes to this as well. Beware of the spruce traps or you'll sink in well past your knees.

Depth is highly variable. Down to 10-14" in a bright sunny spot that bakes all day, 20-24" in deciduous woods, 25-28" in evergreen woods, but still about 28-32" in my yard which gets a neutral amount of sun. One spot still has about 36". Snow will solidify tonight. 

Valleys are mostly melted out save for patchy snow on northern exposures and the usual plow piles and drifts. 

IMG_0303.JPG

IMG_0305.JPG

Thought I'd check in and say hi.  Snow is gone in my fields but still a foot or two in the woods.  Really nice to have the rain this morning, finally cleaned the salt off the roads.

The deer are just going crazy tonight.  Eating and playing.  Back and forth around and around the pond.  They have real personalities.  

Here's a slightly speeded up clip from earlier this evening.  They soon will be gone from our property as they scatter up into the hills.

https://video.nest.com/clip/0b9cf9f07f474fa3bfdda7cb79165201.mp4

22 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

Interesting phenomenon occurring in my slowly melting snow pack known as "cupping", which results from the sun warming tree trunks and melting the snow right around them. Scouring from wind when the snow is still powdery likely contributes to this as well. Beware of the spruce traps or you'll sink in well past your knees.

Depth is highly variable. Down to 10-14" in a bright sunny spot that bakes all day, 20-24" in deciduous woods, 25-28" in evergreen woods, but still about 28-32" in my yard which gets a neutral amount of sun. One spot still has about 36". Snow will solidify tonight. 

Valleys are mostly melted out save for patchy snow on northern exposures and the usual plow piles and drifts. 

IMG_0303.JPG

IMG_0305.JPG

Classic mountain snowpack in the spring... wait till it gets down to the final 6-8" or so.  You'll have 12-18" circles around the base of trees that is snow free.  The last patches of snow left will be equidistant from the tree trunks.  

I love up in the 3,000-4,000ft range in like early June when the very last patches are melting, they'll be feet away from any trees in the middle of any opening.  Like the snow is allergic to tree trunks.

Had some good snow squalls this morning for the Easter Sunrise Service... then the sun came out, but so much for that.

It's been snowing for the last 90 minutes in this plume of moisture that looks like its almost coming from Lake Huron.  The heavier echoes in the cellular stuff are like huge graupel balls.  Has a autumn-like appeal in a way.

5ac1161a25037_April1.gif.299cb069a9ea06b79d3a9819f86ac981.gif

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 6:09 PM, powderfreak said:

Classic mountain snowpack in the spring... wait till it gets down to the final 6-8" or so.  You'll have 12-18" circles around the base of trees that is snow free.  The last patches of snow left will be equidistant from the tree trunks.  

I love up in the 3,000-4,000ft range in like early June when the very last patches are melting, they'll be feet away from any trees in the middle of any opening.  Like the snow is allergic to tree trunks.

It is, if only because the sun warms bark faster than it warms snow.  Another phenomenon I've seen is when the settling of a deep pack tears snow-encased lower branches from evergreen saplings.  Saw none of that while I was snowshoeing around the woodlot Saturday - normally needs a crust to grab the branches, and this year's crusts were all too low.  (Did stretch - painfully - ligament of my left foot when the right snowshoe went thru the ice of a small but deep brook, because my forward lurch to avoid an icewater bath twisted the left one such that the foot got injured.  Only slightly gimpy today.)

Numbers for an oddly split March:

Avg high:  37.7   -0.7   Highest was 51, on the 28th and 30th.  Coldest high was 20 on the 17th.
Avg low:  19.0   +2.8   Lowest was -5 on the 18th.  Mildest low was 31 on the 30th.
Avg mean: 28.3  +1.0  Mildest mean was 41 on the 30th.  Coldest was 9 on the 18th.

Precip:  3.76"  +0.07"   "Wettest" day was the 8th with 1.90"  (and 19.6" snow)
Snow:  37.1"  +19.3" and 2nd snowiest March of 20.
Snowpack:  Ranged from 13" on 5th-7th to 34" on the 14th.  Depth was 37" at 7 AM that day but had settled 3" (despite 2.5" of new fluff) by my 9 PM obs.

The odd split:
March 1-15 averaged 29.5, 5.3 AN, and had 36.4" snow
March 16-31 averaged 27.2, 3.1 BN, and had 0.7" snow - why should we expect wx to be logical?
My place shows that the combined 2nd halves of Feb-Mar bring 38% of those months' snow, no surprise given the move toward spring.  For 2017 and 2018, only 12% of snow came during the 2nd halves.  For March alone it's even more unbalanced - average 2nd half snow is 35% of month total, and 17-18 had only 6%.  The front-loading even infected January this year, with over 2/3 coming during the 1st half.

Four very strong coastals hit the northeast in March.  Batting .500 made for a very nice month.

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 1:27 PM, powderfreak said:

Had some good snow squalls this morning for the Easter Sunrise Service... then the sun came out, but so much for that.

It's been snowing for the last 90 minutes in this plume of moisture that looks like its almost coming from Lake Huron.  The heavier echoes in the cellular stuff are like huge graupel balls.  Has a autumn-like appeal in a way.

It absolutely had that autumn-like feel; for me it was because of the warmer temperatures on Saturday and the crisper feel with the breezes on Sunday.

A view I had from Fairfax at sunset yesterday... the beginning of the western slopes, with Mansfield and the trails of Smugg's on the horizon.  It takes an annoying amount of drive time to get here when in summer you can just roll through the Notch and out into the west side.

GuZ42WS.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:11 PM, wxeyeNH said:

Thought I'd check in and say hi.  Snow is gone in my fields but still a foot or two in the woods.  Really nice to have the rain this morning, finally cleaned the salt off the roads.

The deer are just going crazy tonight.  Eating and playing.  Back and forth around and around the pond.  They have real personalities.  

Here's a slightly speeded up clip from earlier this evening.  They soon will be gone from our property as they scatter up into the hills.

https://video.nest.com/clip/0b9cf9f07f474fa3bfdda7cb79165201.mp4

Those deer are quick

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/0.07” L.E.

For the current storm, the most accumulation I’ve seen here at our site thus far has been a slushy tenth of an inch.  This marks the 50th accumulating winter storm of the season for our location.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches (snow/sleet)

New Liquid: 0.07 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 1.4

Snow Density: 70.0% H2O

Temperature: 37.0 F

Sky: Sprinkles

Snow at the stake: Trace

4 hours ago, amarshall said:

I have a new mavic pro and I'm really unhappy with the video quality so far. Yours looks night and day better. Did you tweak the video settings at all?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have a Phantom 4 and have unbelievable video quality.  You can change video size.  The one thing that comes to mind (longshot) is if you removed the thin plastic covering on the lens when you unpacked the drone?  My P4 had one, don't know if the newer mavic pro comes that way.

14 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I have a Phantom 4 and have unbelievable video quality.  You can change video size.  The one thing that comes to mind (longshot) is if you removed the thin plastic covering on the lens when you unpacked the drone?  My P4 had one, don't know if the newer mavic pro comes that way.

I took the lens cover off when i opened. My P3 had better video quality than my mavic

Archived