Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

dryslot

30 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Last night I measured 20" before I started snowblowing.  I estimate that it snowed about another 4" while I was doing it.  This morning there was another 5" on the last deck I cleared before going inside around 10:30 last night.  Still snowing this morning.

IMG_0084.JPG

Definitely a sneaky jackpot area up by you, dont think any models were showing anything near 2ft

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Definitely a sneaky jackpot area up by you, dont think any models were showing anything near 2ft

Nothing that I was aware of.  I was prepared for my standard, run of the mill 8"-10" snowfall, as predicted by BTV.  Here at work in Montpelier there is much less and colleagues from other areas didn't get as much either.  I felt a little shy about posting my totals because I didn't measure in my normal spot because my wife and son had done some shoveling before I got home and it just seems so out of what with what was predicted.  PF posted a radar shot yesterday afternoon mentioning that MVL was catching the northermost end of a band that stretched down into CT and it looked like it was right over my head too so I do have that for back up.

I'd say there is about 3-4" at my house near Red Rocks Park. At my office downtown, there is easily double that. I've never seen a gradient like that. It's wild. 

Hopefully we see a little more warming. 89 is really REALLY sketchy in spots as last nights slush froze over with some fresh snow over it.  Needs to hit 33 or 34 on those road surfaces to melt it out. 

3 minutes ago, adk said:

I'd say there is about 3-4" at my house near Red Rocks Park. At my office downtown, there is easily double that. I've never seen a gradient like that. It's wild. 

Hopefully we see a little more warming. 89 is really REALLY sketchy in spots as last nights slush froze over with some fresh snow over it.  Needs to hit 33 or 34 on those road surfaces to melt it out. 

Yeah we are definitely in double digits here in the Noosk and up by St. Mikes. 

Just now, mreaves said:

Nothing that I was aware of.  I was prepared for my standard, run of the mill 8"-10" snowfall, as predicted by BTV.  Here at work in Montpelier there is much less and colleagues from other areas didn't get as much either.  I felt a little shy about posting my totals because I didn't measure in my normal spot because my wife and son had done some shoveling before I got home and it just seems so out of what with what was predicted.  PF posted a radar shot yesterday afternoon mentioning that MVL was catching the northermost end of a band that stretched down into CT and it looked like it was right over my head too so I do have that for back up.

You must have had a more direct impact from that banding.  I am at about 19" here 1.5 miles outside of downtown Montpelier.  There was definitely a noticeble difference yesterday afternoon from National Life to my house up on North Street 3 miles away.  Got out of my car and realized we were close to a foot where NL had less than 6" when I left.  Great storm.

42 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Yea, Im sure your totals are legit, there was some pretty extreme banding everywhere with noticeable differences in just the same county across most of New England.

2 hours ago, mreaves said:

That's amazing man you had over two feet!  Holy crap!

Just getting caught up.

The skiing is unreal.  18" High Road plot through 9am.  The usual variance though with what feels like a lot more the closer you get into the Notch, as is usually the case.  The Notch just loads snow.

On 3/12/2018 at 11:49 PM, mreaves said:

I haven’t really been checking up on this. Do I have to start giving it some thought now? Lol. 

As firvthe ski areas, I think the money is in the real estate and accommodations. The rest is all to draw buyers. Just like golf courses. 

I guess I needed to give it some thought after all.

Storm total was 9" for me.  Underachiever.  In reality, it was probably a couple of inches more because I didn't measure during the just looked at my snowstake before and when it was done this AM. 

Today just a cloudy day.  Few flakes here and there but no snow like most of NNE had all day.  I had to go down to Boston today and their pack has already compacted so much.  40F and March sun does that.  Up here the piles along the country roads are huge.  I'll take one more storm, perhaps next week and then we can call it a wrap.

4 minutes ago, MBRI said:

your webcam is my favorite, the snow mobile club just posted some picts.  24+ or what?  

Thanks! 31” storm total so far. And still coming. 

Interesting factoid. Last year we had 28” from a combination nor’easter/upslope. It seems that there’s something about this date lol

Event totals: 12.8” Snow/1.05” L.E.

Details from the 5:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.28 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 6.4

Snow Density: 15.6% H2O

Temperature: 34.0 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 19.5 inches

I can tell based on the slushy snow on the bottom of today’s accumulation stack on the snowboard, and the high water content (15.6%) that there was some melting of the snow that accumulated at some point.  If the weather here at the house was running similar to what we saw on the mountain at Stowe, there was a time during the morning when the sun was trying to come out and temperatures threatened to climb above freezing at the lowest elevations.  It never really got much above freezing at ~1,500’, but I suspect it would have here at 500’.

27 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I can tell based on the slushy snow on the bottom of today’s accumulation stack on the snowboard, and the high water content (15.6%) that there was some melting of the snow that accumulated at some point.  If the weather here at the house was running similar to what we saw on the mountain at Stowe, there was a time during the morning when the sun was trying to come out and temperatures threatened to climb above freezing at the lowest elevations.  It never really got much above freezing at ~1,500’, but I suspect it would have here at 500’.

It was above freezing most of the day in the village of Waterbury.  It snowed all day and never accumulated.

8 hours ago, powderfreak said:

If these models are right about another .5-1.0" QPF through tomorrow afternoon it is going to get ridiculous.

8 hours ago, powderfreak said:

lol round two is getting ready to go tonight and tomorrow.  What a cycle for the skiers and snow lovers everywhere.

I noticed that there were a lot of updates to the BTV NWS advisory maps – it looks like the Winter Storm Warnings continue right on through to tomorrow morning, and they’re scattered all over the place.  I’ve also added the latest projected accumulations map, which covers the overnight period – it’s got that 8-12” shading for the Mansfield area.

14MAR18A.jpg

14MAR18B.jpg

1 hour ago, dmcginvt said:

It was above freezing most of the day in the village of Waterbury.  It snowed all day and never accumulated.

Thanks for the local update!  Based on the liquid that came down at our site today (0.28”), snow accumulation probably would have been an additional inch with lower temperatures, assuming the snow was generally in the form of the fairly small synoptic-style flakes we’ve been seeing with this event that give snowfall density in the ~10% H2O range.

Event totals: 14.9” Snow/1.28” L.E.

Details from the 11:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.23 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 9.1

Snow Density: 11.0% H2O

Temperature: 30.9 F

Sky: Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 20.0 inches

The snow is accumulating more steadily now that the temperature is below freezing, but the flakes are still quite small and the snow density is around 10% H2O.  I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a storm go on so long around here with such small flakes – usually the backside upslope snows tend toward larger flakes, but clearly the growth zone conditions for the snow thus far have generally favored smaller, denser flakes.

10 hours ago, alex said:

Thanks! 31” storm total so far. And still coming. 

Interesting factoid. Last year we had 28” from a combination nor’easter/upslope. It seems that there’s something about this date lol

They so needed that, grooming  24/7  going to be good there till April if we don't go tropical. ill be in the area Sunday,  Saturday in Milan

Archived