Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

dryslot

4 minutes ago, EMontpelierWhiteout said:

No doubt we got into that band.  Still hammering here although flakes are a little smaller than earlier.

SAme here. I actually had to go home on Rt. 302 through East Barre to get to Graniteville because it was snowing faster than the plows could handle. Luckily my wife and son clears some driveway so I could get in. I’m going out to snowblow it now. I’m glad it’s fluff, if it was like the last stuff, I’d have to surrender. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it looks like the BTV NWS is ramping things up around here a bit – I just saw on The Weather Channel that we’ve been upgraded to a Winter Storm Warning here in Washington County, and I can see that Lamoille County has also been upgraded.  The latest projected accumulations map is below as well, with some 18-24” shading in the Mt. Mansfield area:

13MAR18B.jpg

13MAR18C.jpg

Just now, J.Spin said:

Well, it looks like the BTV NWS is ramping things up around here a bit – I just saw on The Weather Channel that we’ve been upgraded to a Winter Storm Warning here in Washington County, and I can see that Lamoille County has also been upgraded.  The latest projected accumulations map is below as well, with some 18-24” shading in the Mt. Mansfield area:

13MAR18B.jpg

13MAR18C.jpg

They better update their map for Montpelier.  I was at 10" at 5:30.

1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

13MAR18B.jpg

13MAR18C.jpg

15" new for down here would be quite a haul--unless they are saying total including what fell today..which wasn't much..around 4".  The map does say from 6pm tonight through Thursday, but assume it would mean total including what fell already.

4 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Hard to believe, with all these big wild juicy storms, that I've never exceeded 21" and that was 17 years ago.

My interest has dwindled to an all-time low.

I think Gene said something similar..like he never had a storm over 20"?  I might be wrong on that and not sure how long he has lived there, but thought he said soemthing like that.  Seems crazy for both you guys.

I'm closing in on 2' and it is still snowing.  Thank god it is really fluffy and light or my poor snowblower would have died.  Here are some pics below.  The poorly lit, unofficial tape measure reads 20".  That deck and all the surfaces in the pictures had been cleared after the last storm.  The back yard area was cleared for the dog as well.  

fIMG_0074.JPG.30a56b5e5eab5b551027ea5b98e5da39.JPGIMG_0073.JPG.19d0228e75eff8435fad69dfe099ead0.JPGIMG_0078.JPG.16cb0f708bb008da4275f7a7eb350f88.JPGIMG_0082.JPG.8e08b963c1120bd61929b32419d0b2cb.JPG

3.5 since 1030 last night, 17.2 for the event here, snow still falling.  The height of the piles is starting to make shoveling challenging, I am very glad I cleared the driveway last night even if there was close to 4 inches new at the top by the time I finished.

Edit:  math error, 16.2 inches as of 6am

11 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I think Gene said something similar..like he never had a storm over 20"?  I might be wrong on that and not sure how long he has lived there, but thought he said soemthing like that.  Seems crazy for both you guys.

Can happen in the best of places.  My 3 years in BGR (Jan 73-Dec 75) yielded nothing greater than 12", and that one was in April.  13 winters in Gardiner, Maine - 85-86 thru 97-98 - topped out with the 17.5" of 16:1 fluff in Dec 1995.  Even snowy Fort Kent only brought 3 events over 18" in 10 winters; it's actually been better here - 9 storms 18"+ in 20 years (assuming the current one doesn't reach that mark) even though my 89" average here is 45" less than I had in FK.

Archived