Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

dryslot

2 hours ago, Redmorninglight said:

90% sure my daughter and I are headed to ride Wildcat Mtn in NH this Wednesday evening. Hoping the storm hits them by Friday and we get some fresh turns. That 12z euro map paints that area with 1-2'. S Vermont looked good on that map too. Fingers crossed. I have until Monday afternoon to decide. 

Hum,  just too soon to know if the storm will get up to NNE.  There is plenty of snow cover right now and Thursday's weather could be comfortable and good for skiing.  I personally don't like skiing when its snowing heavily and lots of wind.  Doesn't look like a very cold storm either so could be pasty wet snow too, especially at lower elevations.  Time will tell!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was crazy that I just watched in a Backcountry in the Northeast group on FB.... this guy went up to ski his local glade in the northern Lakes Region and found not one patch of snow.  Despite his solid snow cover at a lower elevation at his home.

I'd share the video but think the group is closed so it wouldn't play.  The guy is walking the glade and there isn't even a rouge patch or anything drifted behind a downed tree.  Crazy.

M0HlkEZ.png

Event totals: 0.8” Snow/0.25” L.E.

We were at Stowe this afternoon for some skiing, and the precipitation was a mix of just about everything, but I’d say the mountain picked up a couple of inches of accumulation and some additional liquid equivalent for the snowpack.  The skiing was certainly helped out by those dense couple of inches, because you could see that the subsurface was pretty firm.  Here at the house the precipitation was a mix as well, but a good dense quarter inch of liquid was added to the snowpack even down here thanks to Winter Storm Polly.

Details from the 5:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:  

New Snow: 0.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.25 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 3.2

Snow Density: 31.3% H2O

Temperature: 34.9 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 9.5 inches

Interesting set up on Wednesday night with a northern shortwave moving through.

Right now probably a bit too far north for anyone but Jay Peak to Sugarloaf, but the new NAM and 3km WRF make it more interesting.  The 3km would paste the Greens north of 89 over towards Dryslot/Tamarack area.  Temps are marginal but another tick or two south and we may be in business for the higher terrain.  

8 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Interesting set up on Wednesday night with a northern shortwave moving through.

Right now probably a bit too far north for anyone but Jay Peak to Sugarloaf, but the new NAM and 3km WRF make it more interesting.  The 3km would paste the Greens north of 89 over towards Dryslot/Tamarack area.  Temps are marginal but another tick or two south and we may be in business for the higher terrain.  

The latest model runs don’t keep that one quite as far south it seems, but there’s also a potential event in the Thursday timeframe to watch for that is farther south.

The guys down south have been teasing me about the Friday storm.  I feel its a miss for NNE and even for me and Brian in Central NH.  I just have felt that way for a couple of days.  What a fire hose if we could get it just a bit north.  Dynamic cooling at my elevation and 2-3" inches of qpf.  That would be a real blue bomb!.  Still time for some shifting north.  After this Im going to spring mode.  

My SW pastures opened up today.   The deep pack had melted late last week for a brief while and then the 3" of snow/sleet this weekend covered them again.  Still almost 100% cover in the woods.  

12 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

Hmmm, I keep thinking of taking an impromptu trip to Tenney Mtn. Maybe, just maybe, if this storm evolves favorably, I may just pull the trigger

Double check first.  They are still not open and would need this storm to produce enough cover to open perhaps this weekend.  Doesn't look good right now for that to happen

37 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Double check first.  They are still not open and would need this storm to produce enough cover to open perhaps this weekend.  Doesn't look good right now for that to happen

I know, their tubing is open. Well, it was...If this storm could just bring some snow to the mtns, maybe if I keep my fingers crossed

Boy I love the GOES 16.   Amazing pictures.  This was yesterday AM.  I oversharpened a bit and resized it small  but you can see so many landmarks.  In my area Newfound Lake stands out and even Rt 93 going through Franconia Notch.  The darker spruce type forests show up on the Whites, snowcover areas.  Can't wait for thunderstorm season...

Untitled.jpg

Another sunny day 47F.   Low last night was 40F.  Sure takes alot of energy to melt the durable snowpack in the woods.  Absolutely surrounded by deer.  Dozens at night.  They must be coming from miles to enjoy my open pasture.  Don't need fertilizer with so much deer poop.  I know I have made deer timelapses before, here is another one.  Kind of hard to see with passing clouds overnight but they are everywhere!

https://video.nest.com/clip/5ad713ed4e0e4da998ab7e4cc6e5bac2.mp4

Agree, this snowpack is ridiculously durable. Amazing to walk in the woods and realize you're still on top of logs etc buried underneath. 

Went out for a few runs this morning and the conditions were awesome. Last year March was very snowy - with a 25" storm mid-month. Not starting so well this year, but I wonder where we go from here. I'm surprised by how absent the upslope has been... I would think with a storm like this we would at least get some upslope afterwards, even if we don't get it, but I've seen no mention of it. Is there anything at all to track for us northerners??? 

4 hours ago, alex said:

Agree, this snowpack is ridiculously durable. Amazing to walk in the woods and realize you're still on top of logs etc buried underneath. 

Went out for a few runs this morning and the conditions were awesome. Last year March was very snowy - with a 25" storm mid-month. Not starting so well this year, but I wonder where we go from here. I'm surprised by how absent the upslope has been... I would think with a storm like this we would at least get some upslope afterwards, even if we don't get it, but I've seen no mention of it. Is there anything at all to track for us northerners??? 

Alex.  There is something to track.  Take a look at the mid part of next week.  Both GFS and Euro have had a storm developing.  If it does will it be squashed south?  18Z GFS is more bullish than its prior run in getting it up here.  Seems like a colder airmass too.  It's not over till it's over!

3 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Alex.  There is something to track.  Take a look at the mid part of next week.  Both GFS and Euro have had a storm developing.  If it does will it be squashed south?  18Z GFS is more bullish than its prior run in getting it up here.  Seems like a colder airmass too.  It's not over till it's over!

Just saw that. Might be flying down to Orlando late next week /weekend so it's probably going to be a blockbuster lol

There was no precipitation at observations time this morning, and I wasn’t even sure what to expect if it did come, but when I was leaving the house around 6:50 A.M. I was surprised to find a steady light snow coming down.  The flakes were generally small at first, but they’ve quickly increased in size up to around 8 mm in diameter and all surfaces have accumulated the snow easily.  The snowfall is definitely less intense at this point down in Bolton Flats because visibility is notably higher and there’s no obvious accumulation on the ground yet.  This storm’s impacts are expected to be substantial enough that it’s been given the name Winter Storm Riley.

29 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

There was no precipitation at observations time this morning, and I wasn’t even sure what to expect if it did come, but when I was leaving the house around 6:50 A.M. I was surprised to find a steady light snow coming down.  The flakes were generally small at first, but they’ve quickly increased in size up to around 8 mm in diameter and all surfaces have accumulated the snow easily.  The snowfall is definitely less intense at this point down in Bolton Flats because visibility is notably higher and there’s no obvious accumulation on the ground yet.  This storm’s impacts are expected to be substantial enough that it’s been given the name Winter Storm Riley.

Been snowing at the mountain since around 7am too...dusting on everything.

Radar looks better than I was expecting so early.

dc84R5E.gif

There’s not really anything going on at the moment right here in Burlington, but there’s a nice flow of moisture and snowfall coming into the spine that’s visible on the radar and on our webcam at home.  I can see that’s there’s been some decent snowfall in the past half hour or so.  We’d picked up a half inch of snow from this morning’s activity, then there seemed to be a lull during the mid-morning period, and now the snowfall is definitely more vigorous.  Based on what I’m seeing on our webcam snowboard accumulation it’s at least ½”/hr. snowfall.

02MAR18A.gif

Archived