Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, adk said:

Yesterday was a real gift. Given where the mountain was late last week and where it is heading, this weekend had to save a lot of people's holiday plans. That 6" skied so nicely yesterday. Much better than the wind blasted 4" Friday night. 

Shame we're about to head into a 10 day stretch that is about as bad as it can be for Nor. VT in Feb.  Oh well. This season the window's of good skiing are tight. 

Would love BTV to fully melt out. We've got this rotten icy coverage here that just leeches water onto everything making a nasty sheen of ice every cold night. No need for that!

No way you have 10 bad days in fact you probably will have multiple snow chances after the mid week thaw.

index (5).png

15 hours ago, adk said:

Yesterday was a real gift. Given where the mountain was late last week and where it is heading, this weekend had to save a lot of people's holiday plans. That 6" skied so nicely yesterday. Much better than the wind blasted 4" Friday night. 

Yeah, that additional snow was really the icing on the cake – we had a lot of fun finding bottomless out in the Bolton BC yesterday.  Passing along a couple of shots from yesterday’s tour:

18FEB18G.jpg

18FEB18C.jpg

12 minutes ago, alex said:

Definitely heading down 

C6883017-113D-4C55-BBFB-750689AF8A3E.png

I was home around 2:30 after a dentist appointment so I opened up windows and started to do an outside chore. The temp on my home thermometer was 64 off a high of 68 and it had started to get cloudy. Around 3:00 it started to sprinkle and I finished my chore and came in. The thermo read 54. I just went and closed all the windows and the temp is 47. My home thermo is not particularly accurate but it seems to have identified a trend. 

Made it to 68.6F.  Happened right before fropa.  There was a pesky band of high clouds that seemed to stream from WSW to ENE this morning into midday.  Really didn't clear out until early afternoon.  If we had had full sun all morning like N NH did we could have probably tacked on a few more degrees.

Lost much of our snow cover in the pasture but everyplace else around still has a good pack.

Quick 6 second clip of the snow melting.  Those are all turkeys in the beginning..

https://video.nest.com/clip/cac16803ce9d49a39ec046c2d7b579df.mp4

Mount Mansfield set all-time February high temperature record today.

Mount Washington set their all-time February high temperature today and tied their all-time high winter temperature.

Montpelier/MPV set it's all-time February high temperature record today.

The 77F at Bennington/DDH may be the state of Vermont's highest February temperature ever recorded at an official site.

Brian posted this on the other thread but its worth reposting in the NNE thread....

Concord NH high was 74!  Broke the daily record by 10F.  Broke the all time high February record by 5F!  Was the highest temp in meteorological winter.  Pretty amazing stuff to break records by that much....

31F  Light freezing rain.   This is a non event for 99% of the board but wow,  very slippery out there right now.  Precip started mid-afternoon as sleet and 32F.  Coating of ice pellets then the freezing rain which coated the sleet layer.  No salt on the roads so the winter weather advisory was a good call!

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/0.15” L.E.

The precipitation was all rain when I left Burlington to head home in the late afternoon, and as far as I could tell, it was entirely rain all the way through to Bolton Flats.  Finally, as I ascended the pass at the Waterbury/Bolton line approaching home, frozen precipitation began to mix in.  There was a slushy tenth of an inch on the boards when I checked this evening, but that’s all the accumulation I’ve seen thus far for this event.

Details from the 9:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.05 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 2.0

Snow Density: 50.0% H2O

Temperature: 34.7 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 10.0 inches

I haven’t received a text alert yet, but we’re under a Winter Weather Advisory in association with Winter Storm Polly that is expected to affect the area tomorrow.  It seems very strange that areas like Lamoille and Orleans counties aren't included in the advisory, but presumably they’re not hitting some threshold?  In any event, the latest BTV NWS advisory and projected accumulations maps are below.  The point forecast calls for accumulations in the 2” to 4” range at our location.

24FEB18A.jpg

24FEB18B.jpg

23 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Moderate freezing rain at the mountain... mix of IP/RN/ZR at home.  Its right at 32F, some surfaces are icing up, others not.

The mountain though is getting a rough go of it with temps of 26-31F from 4,000ft to 1,500ft.  Not a good way to start a ski weekend with freezing rain on Friday evening.

I decided not to head up this weekend. I figured holiday crowds and crappy conditions weren’t worth the drive. Hopefully you guys score a few inches tomorrow. 

Archived