Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should be an interesting weekend.

Tonight
Snow, mainly after 9pm. Low around 16. South wind 8 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
Saturday
Snow. High near 32. Southwest wind 9 to 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
Saturday Night
Snow. Low around 24. West wind around 6 mph becoming calm in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Sunday
Snow likely before noon, then snow and sleet likely between noon and 1pm, then sleet likely after 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 34. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 7 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow and sleet accumulation of around an inch possible.

While the NOHRSC modeling still doesn’t seem to be incorporating the empirical total SWE data from our site, it does show how the snowpack SWE has been stepping right up this past week, and is expected to continue that trend going forward:

09FEB18A.jpg

Using my liquid equivalent data since the last total SWE analysis suggests that there’s ~4.5” of liquid in the pack right now, and it would be up in the 5” to 6” range soon if the modeling is correct.  I don’t track SWE throughout the whole season, but that may actually be ahead of average for this time of year, even though total snowfall has been about average.

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It's snowing.  I love this radar look.  Especially if these orographics continue with deeper moisture.

IMG_8482.GIF.d020791f1e3327f306e86fd827a57835.GIF

I just checked and there’s about an inch of accumulation out there thus far, so since the onset of the snowfall that would be a roughly ½”/hr rate here.

Bueno.jpg

Event totals: 1.7” Snow/0.07” L.E.

Flake size was down somewhat overnight, with this morning’s stack having roughly twice the density of last night’s stack.

Details from the 12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 21.7 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 21.0 inches

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 16.7

Snow Density: 6.0% H2O

Temperature: 27.0 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 21.0 inches

Only got about 1/2" last night.  I knew I would be right on the south edge.  The deer are having a hard time digging for grass as we have the hard icy 2" layer under the 9"ish powder.  So I snow blew a path for them to grab something to eat.  Looks like some other creatures have found the path.  Just stay away from the snowstake.

Snow depth on the sunny area where the snow stake is, is about 10.5"  Much,much deeper in shade and woods.

snow.jpg

3 minutes ago, borderwx said:

What a weird day. 2.5” new overnight, heavy murk all day. Skied up to 3200’ in the fog. Lots of rime up high, spritzing rain at the lot. The drive home temps bumped every mile it seemed, 36, 35, 31, on and on. Now back to heavy snow, living on the edge!

bottomless skiing...

https://www.flickr.com/gp/74172896@N00/b2DmrG

Eric Radarman was at Mt Ellen today, said the same

Here’s the north to south listing I’ve seen for snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas for Winter Storm Mateo:

Jay Peak: 6”

Burke: 2”

Smuggler’s Notch: 4”

Stowe: 3”

Bolton Valley: 4”

Mad River Glen: 4”

Sugarbush: 2”

Middlebury: 4”

Suicide Six: 4”

Pico: 3”

Killington: 3”

Okemo: 0”

Bromley: 0”

Magic Mountain: 0”

Stratton: 0”

Mount Snow: 1”

It looks like totals thus far have generally been in the 3-4” range in the northern half of the state, with Jay Peak topping the list at 6”, and little if any accumulation in the southern areas of the state.

1.6 overnight.  It switched to some occasional drizzle and light rain showers overnight.  As best as I can tell we have about 21" on the ground.  I tried to get to an undisturbed area.  Found 14" of powder and found it very hard to get the metal yard stick through the 7 inches of glacier that was under the powder.

Event totals: 1.8” Snow/0.09” L.E.

We got down from the mountain around 3:00 P.M. today and I’d say the freezing line had risen to ~2,000’ based on the consistency of the snow.  The accumulation down here at the house was slushy with temperatures a few degrees above freezing.

Details from the 3:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 35.4 F

Sky: Flurries/Sprinkles

Snow at the stake: 20.0 inches

We were up at Bolton Valley for turns today, so I’ll pass along some snow updates and pics.  We had snow at the house in the morning, and were surprised to see what looked like some brief sleet or rain as we passed through ~1,000’ elevation band on the Bolton Valley Access Road, but as we got to the switchbacks below 1,500’ near the Timberline Base we were hit with a wall of steady light snow.  We arrived at Timberline in the 9:30 A.M. to 10:00 A.M. range when the Timberline Quad was just opening, and had light snow falling with a cloud ceiling around 2,200’.  The snowfall picked up to moderate intensity at times, but the flakes were fairly small at that point.  We had a period of heavier snow with big flakes near midday, but snowfall was typically on and off through the day.

The freezing line was climbing during the day, and at least based on the temperature’s effect on snow surface consistency, I’d say it was around 1,700’ around midday, and 2,000’ by the time we were leaving near 3:00 P.M.

The skiing is excellent as one would expect, but I’d say the biggest improvements have been on piste.  The groomed terrain is skiing very nicely.  Off piste there has been a nice shot of snow (probably 16 to 18 inches) from the combination of Winter Storm Liam and Winter Storm Mateo so there’s plenty of powder out there.  There really wasn’t a lot of champagne to top it off with this last storm, so I can’t put it up there with those primo dumps where you get that amazing density gradient of powder, but the powder skiing was still great.

It’s nice to have some more typical Northern Greens conditions back in the house – some pics from today’s outing:

10FEB18F.jpg

10FEB18D.jpg

10FEB18G.jpg

10FEB18E.jpg

10FEB18C.jpg

10FEB18I.jpg

Today was awesome, especially this morning.  Fresh snow overnight just topped off a week of snowfall (30" in 8 days) for the mountain and the rising temperatures through the 20s made for a very comfortable time on the hill.  The larger populations have figured out it snowed this week in NNE as the crowds came in force throughout ski country.

Everyone I talked to reported heavy traffic up 91/93/89 yesterday evening.

27655177_10211603215620410_1404319574941

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It is snowing pretty hard but like spring snow mixed with graupel.  Feels like the base of Whistler, BC or something with the steady precip and changing snow levels up and down.

Snowfall has really picked up now here, and I can see that it’s due to that banding with 30-35 db echoes affecting the area:

10FEB18A.gif

Skied at Cannon yesterday where there was just a bit of mixing in the base area from around 2PM onward. Stopped at cottage in Meredith on way south, lots of activity on lake with ice fishing tournament going on. Ice is about 18" thick. Probably 8-10" snow on ground with a very wintry feel. Temperatures rose very quickly just north of Concord.

Archived