Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 4.7” Snow/0.60” L.E.

Snowfall has been in the inch per hour range here at the house based on what the family saw for accumulations when they were outside shoveling today.  Flakes are getting larger now, but they must have pretty small for a while there because today’s accumulation is impressively dense – there was 0.60” of liquid equivalent in just 4.7” of snow.  I can’t recall the last time I’ve seen snow that dense without some temperatures above 32 F or mixed precipitation involved.  Up in the 12% H2O range we’re talking a Sierra Cement type of snow density.  This part of the storm has delivered some solid resurfacing snow for the slopes.

Details from the 5:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 4.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.60 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 7.8

Snow Density: 12.8% H2O

Temperature: 20.8 F

Sky: Heavy Snow (1-10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 20.0 inches

7 hours ago, MBRI said:

Cam agrees 3-4" already. Headed up tomorrow to ride for the weekend. If you ever free and want to hit the trails lets meet up.

Nice... we have a bunch of snowmobilers staying at one of my places actually... you're not with the Moose Lodge group are you? :) I'll definitely hit the trails, probably first tracks tomorrow then again as kids allow!

17 minutes ago, alex said:

Nice... we have a bunch of snowmobilers staying at one of my places actually... you're not with the Moose Lodge group are you? :) I'll definitely hit the trails, probably first tracks tomorrow then again as kids allow!

nope staying at profile deluxe.  didn't know you had places . pm me links please

Event totals: 6.2” Snow/0.71” L.E.

Snowfall slowed down at the end of the main portion of the system, but it’s picked up a bit now with some northwest flow.

Details from the 11:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.11 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 13.6

Snow Density: 7.3% H2O

Temperature: 20.8 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 21.5 inches

Event totals: 7.5” Snow/0.73” L.E.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 65.0

Snow Density: 1.5% H2O

Temperature: 14.9 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 22.0 inches

Last night’s accumulation from Winter Storm Liam carried over a bit into this morning, so there will be a bit more snow to add to the overall storm total later today.

The next system up on the docket has earned the name Winter Storm Mateo, and the forecast suggests it will affect the area Friday into the weekend with more snow.

Storm total 9.5"    Friend of mine in Groton NH about 10 miles NW of me measured  12.5".  Seems a bit high but I did mix with sleet for about 30 minutes.  Most of that was a snow/sleet mix but for about 5 minutes was almost all sleet.  That might have compacted my pack a bit during the storm.

Seems like Alex and J Spin are fighting for the snow total lead.  Who will win this winter?

I’ve used the 24-hour totals to get an idea of the snow from Winter Storm Liam at the Vermont ski areas.  North to south listing of available snowfall totals is below:

Jay Peak: 14”

Burke: 14”

Smuggler’s Notch: 10”

Stowe: 8”

Bolton Valley: 12”

Mad River Glen: 13”

Sugarbush: 10”

Middlebury: 12”

Pico: 13”

Killington: 13”

Okemo: 12”

Bromley: 15”

Magic Mountain: 12”

Stratton: 15”

Mount Snow: 8”

Totals seemed to be generally in the 1-foot range for Winter Storm Liam, with a few spots higher and lower.  I’m not sure if the 8” at Mount Snow was due to some mixed precipitation working in, but I did hear that the mixing line did push up into Southern Vermont with this storm.

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Storm total 9.5"    Friend of mine in Groton NH about 10 miles NW of me measured  12.5".  Seems a bit high but I did mix with sleet for about 30 minutes.  Most of that was a snow/sleet mix but for about 5 minutes was almost all sleet.  That might have compacted my pack a bit during the storm.

Seems like Alex and J Spin are fighting for the snow total lead.  Who will win this winter?

I think it all depends on the pattern. If we keep getting a good number of coastals, we'll come up ahead. With upslope, JSpin will be ahead. Very close, though! I'm at 110" with today's storm. Also curious to see where we end up in total. Last year was 175". Bretton Woods claims "200+ average" which I don't buy. 

Event totals: 7.7” Snow/0.73” L.E.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 7.9 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 21.0 inches

That should be it for Winter Storm Liam, and the next round of snow is expected from Winter Storm Mateo tomorrow.  The point forecast here has 3-6” of accumulation through Saturday, with the potential for more through the weekend depending on temperatures.

7 hours ago, alex said:

I think it all depends on the pattern. If we keep getting a good number of coastals, we'll come up ahead. With upslope, JSpin will be ahead. 

That’s exactly what I was thinking; those are probably the main events that discriminate most heavily in snowfall between the two sites.

Archived