Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some very heavy ,brief snow this AM.   We had to drive down to Manchester around 9am.  When we left it had just started snowing.  Gray had mentioned this.  Got on Rt 93 and snow became very heavy.  Vis 1/4 or lower.  Passed one car that had spun off the road. Traffic was moving very slow.  As we got down to Brian's area snow was letting up and just flurries down through Concord and Manchester.  Late morning we had back and the plows were out in our area around Exit 23, plowing the one inch or so that seemed to have fallen during a very brief time...   Here at the house we received about 3/4" within an hour or so....

Deep winter here in my hood (except my sunny south pastures that only have a few inches of cover and snowcover and depth rapidly declines as you head south.  Just patchy snow in Manchester...

I was surprised to see some flakes flying here in Burlington and the clouds lowering on the mountains when the clipper was moving away, but perhaps it lake moisture moving in based on the BTV NWS forecast discussion:

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

1250 PM EST Tue Feb 6 2018

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...

As of 1153 AM EST Tuesday...Wave of moisture/light snow has moved east of the area and any precipitation this afternoon will be concentrated with lake effect band off Lake Ontario and some snow showers in the mountains. Going forecast has this covered well with only minor tweaks needed at this point.

06FEB18B.gif

06FEB18C.gif

55 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I was surprised to see some flakes flying here in Burlington and the clouds lowering on the mountains when the clipper was moving away, but perhaps it lake moisture moving in based on the BTV NWS forecast discussion:

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

1250 PM EST Tue Feb 6 2018

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...

As of 1153 AM EST Tuesday...Wave of moisture/light snow has moved east of the area and any precipitation this afternoon will be concentrated with lake effect band off Lake Ontario and some snow showers in the mountains. Going forecast has this covered well with only minor tweaks needed at this point.

06FEB18B.gif

06FEB18C.gif

A solid burst here in Winooski right now!

Event totals: 0.9” Snow/0.04” L.E.

That’s it for totals from the weak Alberta Clipper low passing over Northern New England today.  We’ve got some additional snow falling out there now as PF mentioned, but I’m attributing that to LES as noted in the BTV NWS forecast discussion. 

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: 25.0 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 14.5 inches

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/Trace L.E.

All I could get was a trace of liquid out of yesterday’s LES that fell, but 0.3” is what accumulated from that event.  Next up is Winter Storm Liam, moving into the area today.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 8.1 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 14.5 inches

The advisories map up here in the BTV NWS CWA and surrounding regions has certainly seen some higher level alerts since yesterday, and it’s nearly wall to wall Winter Storm Warnings now.  There aren’t any huge changes in the projected accumulations map here in Vermont, but the 8-12” shading has been pushed northward to cover just about all of the state, and there’s a bit of that 12-18” shading appearing down south.

07FEB18A.jpg

07FEB18B.jpg

Enjoy a nice snowy day fellow C/NNEnglanders...

Made a video clip of the storm coming in this AM.  High deck comes in from the SW but mid-deck from the SE.  Although snow comes in from the SW it actually saturates down from the clouds at the same time.   Critters running around in the field.  Deer traveling will become tougher as the snow cover becomes deeper. 

https://video.nest.com/clip/a3f12753451c41aea0188b3c477712d8.mp4

6 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Nice man, you might score double digits. Dont think any spot in SVT will, even high up, but well see

I should have gotten off my lazy bum and done some rigorous snow measuring.  As it is, there's 8" of snow on the ice that I just cleaned off yesterday morning.

Archived