Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 4.8” Snow/0.41” L.E.

Snowfall was fairly light overnight and at observations time, but it has really picked up this morning.  I was out doing a bit of shoveling and it was up around 1”/hr.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.11 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.9

Snow Density: 9.2% H2O

Temperature: 32.9 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 15.5 inches

Here’s the north to south listing of available snowfall totals from this most recent storm for the Vermont ski areas:

Jay Peak: 19”

Burke: 5”

Smuggler’s Notch: 9”

Stowe: 8”

Bolton Valley: 8”

Mad River Glen: 6”

Sugarbush: 6”

Middlebury: 3”

Pico: 16”

Killington: 16”

Okemo: 14”

Bromley: 12”

Magic Mountain: 10”

Stratton: 8”

Mount Snow: 10”

2 hours ago, J.Spin said:

Here’s the north to south listing of available snowfall totals from this most recent storm for the Vermont ski areas:

Jay Peak: 19”

Burke: 5”

Smuggler’s Notch: 9”

Stowe: 8”

Bolton Valley: 8”

Mad River Glen: 6”

Sugarbush: 6”

Middlebury: 3”

Pico: 16”

Killington: 16”

Okemo: 14”

Bromley: 12”

Magic Mountain: 10”

Stratton: 8”

Mount Snow: 10”

What’s up with the 19” at Jay? That seems suspect even by their standards!

Event totals: 5.8” Snow/0.46” L.E.

Well, with this morning's final accumulation added in, that’s it for this storm.  It was definitely good for the snowpack with almost half a foot of snow and nearly half an inch of liquid equivalent down here, with more at elevation of course.

Details from the 8:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.05 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: 5.2 F

Sky: Clear

Snow at the stake: 14.5 inches

I'm a passenger in a car right now and we're driving from my house in the Plymouth area down to Manchester. Just went through about 10 miles of really heavy snow in the Tilton area with quarter mile or less visibility and cars off the road. Snow is much lighter now as we head towards Concord heading south.

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.01” L.E.

Today’s snowfall activity is from the weak Alberta Clipper low passing over Northern New England. 

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 10.4 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 14.5 inches

The sun is in and out here in Burlington, but I can see the flakes are still chugging along on the spine and at the house via radar and the web cam:

06FEB18A.gif

The Winter Storm Watches from yesterday have been converted to Winter Storm Warning in all of Vermont now ahead of this next system, which is considered impactful enough to earn the name Winter Storm Liam.  The accumulations map from yesterday has been tweaked a bit, but it’s representing generally 8-12” accumulation shading throughout the state with 8-10” accumulations highlighted at various sites.  The point forecast for our site indicates the potential for 6-12” of accumulation.

06FEB18A.jpg

06FEB18B.jpg

With our recent storm I stopped in at Bolton Valley for some turns yesterday morning, so I can pass along some snow updates from Timberline.  There was a nice skin track in place on Twice as Nice as usual, and I frequently checked the depths of the powder along my ascent.  Wind had pushed the snow around a bit, but I generally found depths of 5 to 8 inches above the subsurface with spot amounts up to 10 inches near the Timberline Mid Station.

My descent yielded some excellent turns.  Turns were bottomless, even on much of the Spell Binder headwall, aside from a few contacts with the subsurface here and there.  I even found protected spots with depths of over a foot.  I’ve added a couple of shots from the tour below:

05FEB18C.jpg

05FEB18D.jpg

Archived