Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

dryslot

27 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Thanks for the radar, J.Spin!

I was wondering what that looked like last night.

It unloaded on the mountain.  The High Road stake had 6" at 3,000ft but it skied a lot deeper than that in a bunch of spots.

No problem, I’m usually up at that time and I’ll generally grab a radar snapshot if it looks interesting.

It feels like it’s been a little while, but with the snow back it felt like time to check out the storm rundown at the resorts.  Below are the totals I’ve seen listed for the Vermont ski areas for this latest storm.  Where available, I tried to include the full storm, which would include the warm air advection snows from the front part of the storm yesterday, so I used 48-hour totals or storm total comments if available.  The listing is north to south as usual.  It looks like 6-8” was common aside from the far south where reports were more like 3-4”:

Jay Peak: 10”

Burke: 4”

Smuggler’s Notch: 8”

Stowe: 7”

Bolton Valley: 5”

Mad River Glen: 6”

Sugarbush: 6”

Middlebury: 6”

Pico: 7”

Killington: 7”

Okemo: 3”

Bromley: 4”

Magic Mountain: 2”

Stratton: 4”

Mount Snow: 4”

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 4.4” Snow/0.23” L.E.

We’ve had a couple of additional tenths of an inch of snow with the afternoon/evening snowfall in the area.  I’m keeping it as part of the system that just came through since it’s probably in association with the polar front and the colder air behind it.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: 4.2 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 10.5 inches

Tomorrow will be busy with people figuring out it snowed... but with 6am temperatures expected to be around -18F at the summit and -10F at the base, that will scare a few people off.  It is going to be cold tomorrow morning so it should be a slower arrival. 
Sunday may be a little busy in the morning but will be a ghost town by 12pm as everyone from SNE is driving home for the Super Bowl.
Superbowl? Who's playing?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Interesting little storm for later tomorrow.  Talk about living life on the edge.   GFS and Euro have the accum snowline going right through me.  Literally a 25 mile shift could make the difference between a cold rain with cat paws to a birch bender.  850's look cold so my elevation should help.  One of those paste jobs up high.  We will see.

Midweek storm looks a bit colder but Wed is way off..

Some of the mesos hitting SVT/CVT/NVT pretty hard(prob overdone),but might be a decent event up at elevation, not confident in my lower elevation, could be nice paster higher up though like Wxeye mentioned. Could be a nice base builder for the ski spots, along with Wed storm possibly.  I know Magic could use it. ALY pretty much thinking the same saying nothing more than 1-2" in the valleys with 5"+ in higher elevations.

Of course if your looking for max snow amounts you can always go down with the amped 3K nam ship .I know I am. :)

nam3km_asnow_neus_55.png

hrdps_asnow_neus_48.png

Interesting storm today/tonight.  Really nothing for 95% of the forum so Im going to post obs here.  Paste job for me or cold rain with catpaws?   Both GFS and Euro have quite the gradiant right through the Newfound area and extreme NW lakes region of NH.  

Alex, you should do great up there.

It was partly cloudy at around 7am.  Light snow started around 8am.  Now at 930am its 3/4 22.4F and light snow but poor snow growth.  Brisk south wind on the hill

Eyewall, great pic as usual.  I look at that water pothole and I keep thinking of the ultimate polar plunge challenge.  See how many teenagers would attach to a rope and then take the challenge of jumping in and staying under for 15 seconds.  

Anyhow   sun is peaking out.  Light snow has temp. ended 1/4" or so...  Temp is stubbornly cold   21.4F

Eyewall, great pic as usual.  I look at that water pothole and I keep thinking of the ultimate polar plunge challenge.  See how many teenagers would attach to a rope and then take the challenge of jumping in and staying under for 15 seconds.  
Anyhow   sun is peaking out.  Light snow has temp. ended 1/4" or so...  Temp is stubbornly cold   21.4F
I bet someone would do it. In summer it is a popular swimming hole but not without controversy. No snow here just a banana belt breeze.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, alex said:

Where is this storm??? It's doing absolutely nothing here, except an occasional stray flurry and some veiled sun. Temp up to a balmy 34, while DP has dropped to 7!

Definetley some dry low levels..I'm under some solid returns and it just started spitting, need to saturate some more. DP up to 24F with 33F temp.

Had about .8" earlier this morning.

Definitely dry low levels but we've had a decent period of snow the past hour.

It has been ripping in the NEK all morning though based on radar.  Getting blown downwind of the mountains on the strong SW flow.

Montpelier had a good period of snow this morning too, with visibility down to 1/2sm at times.

This radar is kind of cool as you can see the shadow of the High Peaks of the Adirondacks...that cluster of peaks is why moisture is streaming in north and south of BTV.

gznFa0E.gif

Wind blown 30F SN now that the low levels saturated. Actually got up to 35F and then temps dropped 5F quickly once heavier precip started. Coming down nicely for now. Not sure how long I will stay snow here though.

You can see the southern Daks getting lit up on radar with the SW winds piling up the moisture.

Up to 32/26F.  The ceiling is lowering.  A couple of the local plow guys call me for forecasts.  They called awhile ago and asked me if there will be any snow later or just rain?  Can you say gradient?   Here is Euro snowfall map.  My location is marked by the dot.  Like Backedge just said temp has a little room to drop with dew at 26F.  Lots of nowcasting...

gradiant.jpg

We’ve been out on the slopes much of the day, so I really haven’t been able to check in on the storm, but I did get a midafternoon alert on my phone that a Winter Weather Advisory went up for our area.  I wasn’t actually sure if the BTV NWS was going to issue anything for this event, but the advisories map has lit up now:

04FEB18A.jpg

At Stowe today it snowed the entire time we were there, from late morning to closing.  The snowfall wasn’t especially heavy, but it was pretty consistent and certainly added a nice coating of an inch or two to the surfaces.

The projected accumulations map has us in what looks like the 4-6” range, which jives fairly well with the 3-7”/4-8” accumulations in the point forecast.

04FEB18B.jpg

It looks like we were on the lower end of the 1-3” in the forecast today, but that may be due to the fact the flakes were generally on the small side.  I made 6:00 P.M. observations, so I’ll run those numbers in a bit.

Event totals: 1.0” Snow/0.09” L.E.

As expected with the smallish flakes we’ve seen, the density of the snow was fairly high with an 11 to 1 snow to liquid ratio.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.09 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 11.1

Snow Density: 9.0% H2O

Temperature: 31.5 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 11.0 inches

Archived