Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

dryslot

1 minute ago, J.Spin said:

Well, that would suggest snowfall at my location is fairly in synch with BTV this season, on a relative scale of course.  My data indicate that without additional snow, we fall behind the average pace for seasonal snowfall tomorrow.  We’ve never been outrageously ahead of average this season (maxed out so far at +17” on Christmas), and we’ve had some other periods where we were behind the pace (early November, mid-November and 2nd week of December), so this does seem in line with the fluctuations thus far.  Actually, to get this deep into this season’s January doldrums ahead of average snowfall pace does speak to having had at least a decent surplus.  It seems like we could be coming out of this very slow snowfall stretch going forward though.

This is true and of course last year we had a big hit in February and the unforgettable Pi Day storm in March. I am of course not saying any of that will happen again but it can turn around quickly. Fingers crossed.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, eyewall said:

BTV has officially fallen into a negative departure for snow to date on the season. I am hopeful we will see a turnaround and the departure is negligible but it is clear this latter part of January has been crap lol.

Definitely been a 2 week snoozer, I honestly didn't even know that event was happening in SE MA/CT/Etc until this morning, haven't even really been paying close attention. Like JSpin said, should be some actual chances coming up soon hopefully.

Taunton MA is probably close to BTV now in snowfall I would guess, what is BTV like 40" or so? And probably almost doubling up ALB.  That just aint right..lol

50 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Definitely been a 2 week snoozer, I honestly didn't even know that event was happening in SE MA/CT/Etc until this morning, haven't even really been paying close attention. Like JSpin said, should be some actual chances coming up soon hopefully.

Taunton MA is probably close to BTV now in snowfall I would guess, what is BTV like 40" or so? And probably almost doubling up ALB.  That just aint right..lol

Well, better than Chicago, which only has 10" of snowfall this season, 35 SDD's, and a max snow depth of 3" which occurred on two whole days.  Shockingly bad.  And, this is on the heels of consecutive sub-20" seasons in 2015-16 and 2016-17.  I'm in no man's land around 42N...where you get occasional bouts of Winter to tease you...but then you realize that it's never sustainable.  I'm on the wrong side of what I call the midwest winter gradient; if you go up to 45N in central/northern WI, it's a whole different ballgame. 

The MW/Lakes forum has essentially given up on Winter...so I've wandered over here to live vicariously. :)

At least NNE has wintry appeal...where it actually looks and feels like winter on the majority of days in DJF. 

Carry on...

1 hour ago, qg_omega said:

Boy is it ever early to even be “thinking about spring” in the Adirondacks; that’s a recipe for whole lot of the “hurry up and wait” phenomenon that so many in the forum seem to use to drive themselves insane.

Looks like our snow drought of late might be coming to an end.  Next week looks interesting...

Meanwhile so much wildlife lately.  Coyotes, turkeys, fox, and deer.  All the wildlife seems to be in our hood because of our bare ground patches.  Our abutter neighbor just posted on FB that they have 45 creatures in their field right now.  I believe it because we had dozens last night.  Here is a picture she just posted.  I count about 26 in this shot.

deer.jpg

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Looks like our snow drought of late might be coming to an end.  Next week looks interesting...

Meanwhile so much wildlife lately.  Coyotes, turkeys, fox, and deer.  All the wildlife seems to be in our hood because of our bare ground patches.  Our abutter neighbor just posted on FB that they have 45 creatures in their field right now.  I believe it because we had dozens last night.  Here is a picture she just posted.  I count about 26 in this shot.

deer.jpg

Holy crap!

They definitely are searching out the snow-less pastures and fields that get sun torched or wind swept.  I wouldn't want to be walking around on the ice-solid "snowpack" that is in place in NNE.

I find evidence of them sleeping near my house under the evergreens, which are the only snow-free spots around.  Lots of tracks going in and out of the grove.

Been a while since I've seen snow come out of the sky at home.  Its actually been pretty crazy the snow drought we've been in for January.   We've had some brief like 1" snow then sleet type stuff but its been a while since we've just gotten a few inches of snow.  Crazy thing is we've been able to keep snow depths of 5-6" or more for pretty much the whole month despite the lack of snowfall.

Nice to just see flakes this evening.

PUTVani.gif

Including the cities of Plattsburgh, Port Henry, Ticonderoga,
Alburgh, South Hero, St. Albans, Burlington, Middlebury,
Vergennes, Rutland, Enosburg Falls, Richford, Underhill, Bristol,
Ripton, East Wallingford, and Killington
303 PM EST Wed Jan 31 2018

...Brief moderate to heavy snow late this afternoon...

A narrow band of moderate to briefly heavy snowfall is expected
to affect the Champlain Valley and western slopes of the Green
Mountains between 430 and 6 PM this afternoon. Visibility is
expected to briefly drop between a quarter and half mile, and
snowfall accumulations of a coating to an inch are possible. Slow
and slippery travel conditions are possible as a result heading
into the evening commute. Allow extra time to reach your
destination.

3 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

deer.jpg

That's very very cool!

Event totals: 0.2” Snow/0.01” L.E.

We picked up a bit of accumulation today from the warmer part of this current storm, but over the past hour of so the snowfall has become much more substantial in association with the polar front coming through the area.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: 32.9 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 8.5 inches

Event totals: 2.1” Snow/0.06” L.E.

Snowfall has been quite heavy out there, in part due to the very large flakes (some as much as 40 mm in diameter) coming down.  The 1.9 inches that were on the snowboard only really accumulated over the past hour.

Details from the 12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.9 inches

New Liquid: 0.05 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 38.0

Snow Density: 2.6% H2O

Temperature: 33.4 F

Sky: Heavy Snow (3-40 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 10.0 inches

Event totals: 4.2” Snow/0.22” L.E.

The flake size was certainly decreasing after that 30-35 db blitz in the late evening hours last night, and the density of this morning’s stack, which is double the midnight stack, speaks to that.  This event was a good way to kick off the month of February though, and it served to bring seasonal snowfall back up to roughly average pace.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.16 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 13.1

Snow Density: 7.6% H2O

Temperature: 14.2 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 11.5 inches

1.4" yesterday, 1.0" by 7 this morning but probably little additional.

January finished 0.5° BN, -18 for the 1st 8 days than +6 the next 3 weeks.

Avg max: 24.5   0.9 BN   Mildest max:  47 on the 13th, mildest min: 30, on the 12th and 21st. 
Avg min:  3.4   0.1 BN   Coldest morning:  -27 on the 2nd, coldest max: -6 on the 6th.  Only Jan 14-15, 2004 have been colder (-7, -8 - aft high on the 14th was -11.)
Mean:   13.9

Precip:  5.07"   1.95" AN, 2nd wettest of 20 Januarys (1999 had 6.01:.)  Greatest on one date:  1.47" on the 13th.  The torch-deluge of 12-13 totaled 2.43", biggest Jan RA event here.

Snow:  21.4"   2.2" AN and the 11th time Jan snow has been in the range 21.4" to 27.5".  Only one year had more (2015 with 36.8") so the median is nearly 3" above the avg.
Biggest event:  13.0" on the 4th, tied with 2003 (same date) for 2nd biggest Jan storm, with 27-28, 2015 tops with 20".

15 hours ago, J.Spin said:

I took a quick look at the radar and I can see where all that heavy snow came from – it was that region of 30-35 db echoes that pushed right into the spine in this area:

02FEB18A.gif

Thanks for the radar, J.Spin!

I was wondering what that looked like last night.

It unloaded on the mountain.  The High Road stake had 6" at 3,000ft but it skied a lot deeper than that in a bunch of spots.

27500691_10103316531855440_8026674658022

Dropping-in..jpg

5 hours ago, alex said:

6.25" final total for the overnight snow. Nice surprise! Went for a few runs and the energy was incredible, everyone was so excited. I think a lot of tourists were expecting a crappy weekend of skiing, and the 7.25" we have received has certainly changed things around. Even the glades skied nicely.

Yes!  Everyone had this feeling of "ok, we've turned the corner again, time to bring the pow."  The energy was awesome.

The entire town is jazzed right now. 

52 minutes ago, Albert A Clipper said:

Any guesses on how crazy Stowe will be tomorrow with it being super bowl Sunday weekend?

Tomorrow will be busy with people figuring out it snowed... but with 6am temperatures expected to be around -18F at the summit and -10F at the base, that will scare a few people off.  It is going to be cold tomorrow morning so it should be a slower arrival. 

Sunday may be a little busy in the morning but will be a ghost town by 12pm as everyone from SNE is driving home for the Super Bowl.

Archived