Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

dryslot

29 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

1.51" of monsoon like rains today, doesn't get much more ugly than this. 

There was a whole lot of piss (yellow) on the radar this morning.  Somewhere near 3 inches of rain in the past 10 days.  In the heart of winter. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Storm ova.   About 1/2" of sleet/snow grains mix then about 1/4" of ice.  Our fields are full of birches that always take a hit.  This one was one of the worst in quite awhile.  I was hoping that we would mix out and jump up in temperature but not sure how much and for how long.  Holding around 33F.

Video timelapse of the poor birches..   https://video.nest.com/clip/6df87774c7a3402198ff793b04cae500.mp4

Nice drone fly around before sunset.   

14 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Storm ova.   About 1/2" of sleet/snow grains mix then about 1/4" of ice.  Our fields are full of birches that always take a hit.  This one was one of the worst in quite awhile.  I was hoping that we would mix out and jump up in temperature but not sure how much and for how long.  Holding around 33F.

Video timelapse of the poor birches..   https://video.nest.com/clip/6df87774c7a3402198ff793b04cae500.mp4

Nice drone fly around before sunset.   

You'll mix out is my guess when 850mb temps start dropping.  High of 36F here and 35F currently.  

Summit has started to drop though looks like the real cold push comes 7-10pm.

Plenty of low level moisture around so we'll see if we can pick up any upslope snow overnight.

Event totals: 0.7” Snow/0.97” L.E.

It looks like we’re just about done with Winter Storm Jaxon in our area, but there are some flakes flying out there right now with the WNW flow , so we’ll see if there’s any additional backside accumulation to report.

24JAN18A.gif

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 27.5 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 9.0 inches

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Ended up picking up 3" of decently dense snow last night on Mansfield to finish off the storm...

tsqgDeG.jpg

We just need another 2 of these small events and things will be reasonably fun again.  That said, I do not love another forecast that calls for 40s for highs this weekend. Would be nice to just have a normal ass winter day right now. Like highs in the 20s. Not too much wind. Lows in the single digits. Some sun. Some clouds. No huge warmup coming, no massive cold pool lurking. Just like normal boring missionary weather. 

Just now, adk said:

We just need another 2 of these small events and things will be reasonably fun again.  That said, I do not love another forecast that calls for 40s for highs this weekend. Would be nice to just have a normal ass winter day right now. Like highs in the 20s. Not too much wind. Lows in the single digits. Some sun. Some clouds. No huge warmup coming, no massive cold pool lurking. Just like normal boring missionary weather. 

Haha, I think the highs in the 40s are a bit high for this weekend, but maybe not in BTV land. 

I think Saturday looks like a nice weekend day all things considered this season.  Friday actually may be THE DAY though... 1040mb high overhead, sunny, temps in the 20s and teens on the mountain.

I'm still trying to figure out how we just got through this recent weather event with a bunch more trails open than when it started...never would've thought the mountain would be in better shape or something like that.  Patrol opened a whole bunch of stuff today that wasn't open before hand.  Amazing what 1" of sleet and then 3" of dense snow can do with an inch of QPF as rain/freezing rain thrown in.

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Haha, I think the highs in the 40s are a bit high for this weekend, but maybe not in BTV land. 

I think Saturday looks like a nice weekend day all things considered this season.  Friday actually may be THE DAY though... 1040mb high overhead, sunny, temps in the 20s and teens on the mountain.

I'm still trying to figure out how we just got through this recent weather event with a bunch more trails open than when it started...never would've thought the mountain would be in better shape or something like that.  Patrol opened a whole bunch of stuff today that wasn't open before hand.  Amazing what 1" of sleet and then 3" of dense snow can do with an inch of QPF as rain/freezing rain thrown in.

I do hope you're right about the 40s being overdone, but there's a good chunk (say 3/4) of the state with forecasted highs in the 40s on Saturday, not just BTV land.  Just about everywhere south and west of Montpelier to Morrisville.

Wind stayed up all night, stopping temp fall at middle singles.  Still ice on trees, but wind and cold is bringing the brittle coating down in pieces.  Slight gain in pack despite kitchen sink storm:  2.2" rimey SN from 0.32" LE, then 0.6" IP from 0.25" LE, followed by 0.79" ZR, much of which came in 2 hr mid-aft downpour that failed to accrete beyond 0.1".

2 hours ago, eyewall said:

I saw Mt Mansfield recorded a wind gust to 182 mph but I would say there is an instrumentation problem.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Yea.  All the lifts would be bent and broken if it was gusting to 182 up there. 

PF- I dunno - I could see the base of Stowe up to about 2000' getting into the 40-42 range saturday....Certainly west side at that elevation will get that high. Generally I see a repeat of last Saturday. 

Jeez....  so much ice on the ground.  Ice is off the trees right around my immediate hood (thankfully the birch survived but are still a bit bent over) but looking at the ridges there is lots of ice in some places and none at others.  I really can't find any rhyme or reason.  I would think there would be ice down in the valleys where it stayed cooler the other night.  We rose to the upper 30's before falling back off to freezing by mid-morning yesterday.

Here is a zoomed in view looking south. That is all ice on the trees, no snow.  Ragged Mtn ski resort.  Mt Kearsarge way off in the distance.

Ice.jpg

Archived