Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The next major system coming into the area is called Winter Storm Jaxon, and I got an alert on my phone this afternoon about Winter Weather Advisories being posted in association with this event.  There isn’t too much snow expected, but I assume in combination with the potential for ice it hit the threshold for an advisory.  Advisory and projected snowfall accumulations maps from the BTV NWS are below:

21JAN18A.jpg

21JAN18B.jpg

8 hours ago, J.Spin said:

The next major system coming into the area is called Winter Storm Jaxon, and I got an alert on my phone this afternoon about Winter Weather Advisories being posted in association with this event.  There isn’t too much snow expected, but I assume in combination with the potential for ice it hit the threshold for an advisory.  Advisory and projected snowfall accumulations maps from the BTV NWS are below:

21JAN18A.jpg

21JAN18B.jpg

Yea, it's the icing they are concerned about. Could make tomorrow AM really really bad in spots. 

They are again not too worried about hyrdo issues with the rain on Tuesday. More so this time than last, but still pretty quiet on it. I dunno, WRF has plenty falling on the slopes of the greens which could easily trigger some additional flooding down stream. 

I cored our snowpack for today’s CoCoRaHS report ahead of upcoming Winter Storm Jaxon, so as time permits I’ll be able to get a sense for total SWE in the snow before and after the storm.  It also happens to be good timing for Total SWE Monday.  As far as today’s results go, there’s 2.63” of liquid in the snowpack right now, which is actually right about where it was (2.64” of liquid) at the end of Winter Storm Hunter a little over a week ago.

The NOHRSC modeling for snowpack SWE at our site is running a bit low compared to the actual numbers, but it does show an initial bump in SWE with this system.  The modeling doesn’t go far enough out to see how things go throughout the full system, but that should be interesting to monitor going forward.

22JAN18A.jpg

58 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Crudfest 2018. It was due I guess LOL. We punt the remainder of January. Hopefully there will be some good upslope opportunities for ski areas to recover some natural snow.

I remember those years of epic upslope for NNE, for a few years it seemed like the norm.  I remember that early season upslope dump of heavy wet snow (last year?) but the frequency has seemed to decrease from a few years ago even with the cold we had this year.

1 hour ago, qg_omega said:

I remember those years of epic upslope for NNE, for a few years it seemed like the norm.  I remember that early season upslope dump of heavy wet snow (last year?) but the frequency has seemed to decrease from a few years ago even with the cold we had this year.

This year we've done decently well, had that surprise 12" overnight in December from a forecast of less than 1".  There was another one I can't remember the date where we got bombed by some squalls with like 8"/4 hours.

Last year was a huge upslope year... not sure what you mean those "epic" years.  There was a break from 2014-2016 with fewer events it seemed but last winter was ridiculous. 

I mean it literally snowed every day for like 3 weeks (108" in 22 days) from upslope in the middle of last winter.  There were some biggies in December, then just a steady diet of "oh, it did it again another 5 inches" middle of the winter and then had a couple biggies later in the season.  Heck even Stella's 52" total was over half from upslope.

We were still getting it in April.  I thought last year rivaled 2010-11 for upslope events.

This was a heavy like 1-1.5" QPF upslope event of 13" of dense snow and graupel on April 8th.

IMG_5477.JPG.d4a33b971b1677d63a7be9634b6d123c.JPG

April8_2017.jpg.0b75b459e6eca671cd5b79c39b516d0a.jpg

2L8A1344compressed.thumb.jpg.fda1e08891a8bd0aef0dc07c2e92cbcb.jpg

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

This year we've done decently well, had that surprise 12" overnight in December from a forecast of less than 1".  There was another one I can't remember the date where we got bombed by some squalls with like 8"/4 hours.

Last year was a huge upslope year... not sure what you mean those "epic" years.  There was a break from 2014-2016 with fewer events it seemed but last winter was ridiculous. 

I mean it literally snowed every day for like 3 weeks (108" in 22 days) from upslope in the middle of last winter.  There were some biggies in December, then just a steady diet of "oh, it did it again another 5 inches" middle of the winter and then had a couple biggies later in the season.  Heck even Stella's 52" total was over half from upslope.

We were still getting it in April.  I thought last year rivaled 2010-11 for upslope events.

This was a heavy like 1-1.5" QPF upslope event of 13" of dense snow and graupel on April 8th.

IMG_5477.JPG.d4a33b971b1677d63a7be9634b6d123c.JPG

April8_2017.jpg.0b75b459e6eca671cd5b79c39b516d0a.jpg

2L8A1344compressed.thumb.jpg.fda1e08891a8bd0aef0dc07c2e92cbcb.jpg

This year has been awesome for "upslope" snow- I'd say like 75% of Stowe's snow has been due to passing weak waves that make less than a flake in BTV, .75" in Stowe Village and 5" on Mansfield above 2500" -- I can recall at least two events when it snowed like 7-10" when the forecast was for 1"...that's the upslope magic. 

Last years first 22 days of Feb were just absurd. Not just that it snowed a lot but the snow was just pure air. 

Snow seemed to start falling in the Burlington area around 3:00 P.M. or so, and it seemed like there were granular flakes in there right from the start.  There were larger flakes as well, but by roughly 5:00 P.M. there wasn’t any visible snow and the precipitation seemed to be a mixture of freezing rain and sleet.

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.06” L.E.

Although non-frozen precipitation had already started falling in Burlington by the time I’d left this afternoon, in typical fashion, east of the spine the precipitation was still a mixture of snow and sleet.  That’s generally what I’ve seen thus far this evening.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.06 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 5.0

Snow Density: 20.0% H2O

Temperature: 32.4 F

Sky: Snow/Sleet

Snow at the stake: 9.0 inches

Everything had at least .1" of ice last night when I left work ... and it was raining pretty hard on my car for the drive home. At 25F.  Perfect.  Looks like temps in the CPV have risen with BTV now at 36.  Gonna need that to come up quite a bit to melt this ice.  

Pretty interesting to see possible thunder in central VT and points south. 

I'm really unsure about that back-side mountain snow for tonight.  NWS is calling for 1-3" across the higher terrain but I'm always skeptical when it is a cold front set-up like this. Just never have the right snow-growth temps and wind until the very tail end when most of the moisture is gone.  My gut says there might be two inches of windblown junk on top of a quickly freezing block of ice. 

3 hours ago, adk said:

Everything had at least .1" of ice last night when I left work ... and it was raining pretty hard on my car for the drive home. At 25F.  Perfect.  Looks like temps in the CPV have risen with BTV now at 36.  Gonna need that to come up quite a bit to melt this ice.  

Pretty interesting to see possible thunder in central VT and points south. 

I'm really unsure about that back-side mountain snow for tonight.  NWS is calling for 1-3" across the higher terrain but I'm always skeptical when it is a cold front set-up like this. Just never have the right snow-growth temps and wind until the very tail end when most of the moisture is gone.  My gut says there might be two inches of windblown junk on top of a quickly freezing block of ice. 

Yeah we basically have crap until February at this point.

Archived