• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

dryslot

Was just coming in to post this.  Accumulations pused NW a bit but upgraded to warning.  Would like to see a bigger thump of snow (obviously) but covering up the ugliness will be nice.
It is definitely disappointing to see the NW shift.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, adk said:

My favorite part about the NWS disco on this is the note that says "unwanted" snow should be moved quickly on Saturday as it will turn into a brick....

I hope VTrans and the towns pay attention here and note that 4-6" isn't rallyu 4-6" of snow. That's like 3.5" of sleet and 1.5" of snow. Gotta treat roads a lot differently when its like that.

Disappointing NW shift which always happens, doesn't look good even for Whiteface, not enough qpf when we cool

12 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Great pictures Eyewall..

Absolutey pouring out.   .85" past couple of hours.  Right under training cells.  Why can't this happen with snow.  Small streams overbankfull.

Started with 16" on the ground.  Down to about 7".   

53F but at the bottom of my hill 44F

See the 12Z Euro and 00Z too. 

Only downhill form here.

7 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

See the 12Z Euro and 00Z too. 

Only downhill form here.

I know.  Just looked at the Euro.  Trends stronger and stronger with the midweek bomb.  Down to 972mb.  Great track for big snow for C/NNE as long as it doesn't even cut more west.  Between tonights snow for Vermont and then next weeks storm will replenish snowpack with feet!

Clown Euro accumulated snowfall after next weeks system...

GFS will have none of it.  Just a weak system.....

Untitled.jpg

I know.  Just looked at the Euro.  Trends stronger and stronger with the midweek bomb.  Down to 972mb.  Great track for big snow for C/NNE as long as it doesn't even cut more west.  Between tonights snow for Vermont and then next weeks storm will replenish snowpack with feet!
Clown Euro accumulated snowfall after next weeks system...
GFS will have none of it.  Just a weak system.....
Untitled.jpg.da8237e51e1413ea38611d409af7fdc8.jpg
Lock it in!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Well over an inch of rain. Still full coverage here though, just some weird meso climate stuff going on. I have been in the 40s for most of the event while the western part of town at the same elevation has been mid 50s for 24 hours.

Both the pics are from about 900ft, one is the far eastern slopes (my neighborhood with full coverage) of the valley and the other the far western slopes. Probably like 2 miles apart.

f6799c73346e76024b537b0ebb60c9d9.jpg

1fc46bb31a7c74fe406aa3e550deddc1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I got a text updating the Winter Storm Warning for my county, and it looks like the BTV NWS has more finely categorized the warnings for different areas.  The advisories map is now sprinkled with some flood-related alerts as well due to warmth and rains we’ve been seeing.  The projected accumulations map doesn’t seem to have seen major changes around here in northern Vermont, but many have been tapered back just a touch in northern New York.  The latest maps are posted below.

12JAN18A.jpg

12JAN18B.jpg

Very strange temperature anomalies across N Central VT.  Temperature just outside Montpelier at 1200' is 39F.  Walked out the door from work a few minutes ago expecting it to feel balmy but still a chill in the air.  I know Mansfield summit was at 54.  Have lost a decent amount of snow today but less than expected.

17 minutes ago, EMontpelierWhiteout said:

Very strange temperature anomalies across N Central VT.  Temperature just outside Montpelier at 1200' is 39F.  Walked out the door from work a few minutes ago expecting it to feel balmy but still a chill in the air.  I know Mansfield summit was at 54.  Have lost a decent amount of snow today but less than expected.

Yep, definitely alot of random pockets of cool/cold with torch spots nearby. I'm back to 44F with a whole lot of 60F spots nearby I see on weather underground

45 minutes ago, EMontpelierWhiteout said:

Yeah, I work in downtown Montpelier and was surprised that it stayed around 40-41 all day. My car thermo went from 40 when I got on 89 at exit 8 to 50 at exit 7 in Berlin. By the time I got to S. Barre it was back down to 41 and then back to 51 at my house at 1250’. I don’t think we lost as much snow as expected and there is still a sizable sheet of ice over a good part of my driveway. 

Wow.  I had 16" at my snowstake yesterday.  Now nothing left.   Pastures started showing first bare patch this afternoon.  Now with the spotlights I am 50% snow free.  Deer have come out of the woods and are grazing.  Makes me so happy they are getting something to eat.  Will I have a couple of inches of snow tomorrow AM or bareground.  Im right on the line...

Another musing.  Don't know how unusual this is but was just looking.  Within a weeks time Alex went from -28F to 58.5F.  86F difference!

27 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Wow.  I had 16" at my snowstake yesterday.  Now nothing left.   Pastures started showing first bare patch this afternoon.  Now with the spotlights I am 50% snow free.  Deer have come out of the woods and are grazing.  Makes me so happy they are getting something to eat.  Will I have a couple of inches of snow tomorrow AM or bareground.  Im right on the line...

Another musing.  Don't know how unusual this is but was just looking.  Within a weeks time Alex went from -28F to 58.5F.  86F difference!

I thought you said you expected to loose 3 inches?

3 hours ago, mreaves said:

Yeah, I work in downtown Montpelier and was surprised that it stayed around 40-41 all day. My car thermo went from 40 when I got on 89 at exit 8 to 50 at exit 7 in Berlin. By the time I got to S. Barre it was back down to 41 and then back to 51 at my house at 1250’. I don’t think we lost as much snow as expected and there is still a sizable sheet of ice over a good part of my driveway. 

Not that I wish I got a bigger melt, but the driveway will be a nightmare tomorrow.

34 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

That's pretty nuts. 

Did Alex get wiped out too? I'm sure he was pretty warm and windy.

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

BTV in January of 1994

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KBTV/1994/1/21/MonthlyHistory.html?req_city=&req_state=&req_statename=&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=

Jan 26  low -25f high 0

Jan 27- low -29f  high 14 f

jan 28 low 14 high 46

Jan 29 low 10  high 43

jan 30  low -6 high 9

-29 to 46 in a day (75 f) back to -6 in 2 days.

Archived