Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter Thread

dryslot

13 minutes ago, Hitman said:

great pics.  someone on the chairlift asked me about those red berries and I honestly dont recall seeing them before.  what kind of tree/bush are they on?

Those red berries are actually on a fairly large tree that was 25+ feet in height.  I’d taken an image of the Bryant Cabin with the tree visible next to it, so I uploaded that one and inserted it below along with the close up image.  I kept the processed image of the cabin a bit larger than usual so that some additional detail can be seen in the trees, so you may have to click on the image to increase the size.  The tree with the berries is the one just to the left of the cabin (it looks like there are two trunks, because I’m thinking that third, largest and straightest trunk just to the right of those two might be a different tree).  You can see some of the clumps of berries covered with snow if you look above the trunks 5, 10, or 15 feet up, and it looks like there are some obvious ones if you look above the roof peak above the Bryant Camp/Bryant Cabin signs.  I bet someone like Tamarack (or others) will have an idea of the tree type, and if needed I can post a full-resolution version of the image as well.  It’s great that you asked because it would be nice to know what type of tree it is; I would have liked to put it in an image caption if I’d known it.

30DEC17G.jpg

30DEC17D.jpg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 6:24 AM, adk said:

The last month I remember being "cold" was February 2015.  Here is how the NWS described it: 

February Recap: February brought brutal and near record to record cold to the North Country. The month featured numerous nights of widespread below zero temperatures, even bottoming out at -10 to -30 quite a few times, as well as several bouts of extreme wind chills. It Table 1. February 2015 Average Temperatures, Departures from Normals, and Ranking among February’s as well as all months. only once went above freezing at Burlington, and thatwas only for a few hours on the 22nd . 26 out of the 28 days of the month were below normal as well. As seen in Table 1 below, departures for the month were between 13 and 15 degrees below the 1981 – 2010 Climate Normals, and finished as a Top 3 Coldest February at all of our climate sites. At our relatively newer sites of Massena, NY and Montpelier, VT, it was the coldest February on record (dating back to 1948). The month also finished in the Top 7 for any month for all sites, and actually tied with the coldest month on record at Massena (January 1994). February was also quite dry with the storm track largely to our south and east. At most of our climate sites, the month finished with about 1 to 2 inches of liquid equivalent precipitation, about 1 inch below the climate normals. The driest locations were in the northern Champlain Valley and northern Saint Lawrence Valleys where only a half inch to 1 inch fell. The largest snowstorm of the month came on Groundhog Day (February 2 nd) where a widespread 5 to 10 inches of snow fell across the region. There were three main large arctic outbreaks (Feb 1 st – 6 th , Feb 13th – 18th , and Feb 23rd – 24th) that sent low temperatures plummeting well below zero and gave us days that hovered in the single digits. The morning of the 24th was the coldest of the entire season with Island Pond, VT taking home the honors of being the coldest at -36 degrees. This month also saw the second consecutive year that Lake Champlain “closed”, meaning the lake had full ice coverage. This occurred on February 16th .

But looking at the data for BTV- it doesn't even seem that "cold" compared to what we are experiencing now and looking at for next weekend.  Highs were consistently above 10F with only 4 days where highs didn't get above 10 (1,2,13, 16).  We rebounded that year with a really nice spring. March was warm and April was splitter. Hit 75 in BTV on the 13th.  

IMO, this current cold is considerably more intense than anything in Feb 2015.  The key to that month was absolute absence of any mildness.  At my place all 28 days were BN, only 0.2° on the 22nd (the month's 4-5 hours above 30°) and no other day better than -3.8.  The past 6 days have departures ranging -24 to -35; Feb 15 had one day (24th) at -27 but none others lower than -23, quite respectable but Dec 27-Jan 1 was 6 days averaging -28, and I expect today to finish about at that average, making for the coldest week (compared to normals) I've ever recorded.

December numbers:

Avg high:  23.2   -7.4   Mildest was 47 on 12/6; mildest minima 28 on the 1st.  Both days had 35.5 as the mean.

Avg low:   5.5  also -7.4   Coldest was -31 on 12/30; coldest minimum was -3 the day before.  Coldest mean was -16 on the 30th.

Avg temp:  14.3    same -7.4     This was 1.3° colder than 2013, and both avg high and avg low are my coldest for Dec.  The -31 is 5° colder than 12/17/13, previous low for Dec and the mean is coldest by 6°.  In addition, that -16 is my coldest daily mean for any month, 1° below 2 separate days in Jan 2004.  Dec 14-31 ran 13.4° BN.

Precip was 3.53", 0.92" BN  Most in a calendar day was 0.66" in the 8.0" Christmas Day storm, just above the 0.65" on 12/5 (2nd part of 1.12" RA event on 4-5.)  2017 precip came to 46.39", 2.80 BN.

Snowfall was 23.3", 3.2" AN   The 12/25 storm was by far the month's largest.

45 minutes ago, tamarack said:

IMO, this current cold is considerably more intense than anything in Feb 2015.  The key to that month was absolute absence of any mildness.  At my place all 28 days were BN, only 0.2° on the 22nd (the month's 4-5 hours above 30°) and no other day better than -3.8.  The past 6 days have departures ranging -24 to -35; Feb 15 had one day (24th) at -27 but none others lower than -23, quite respectable but Dec 27-Jan 1 was 6 days averaging -28, and I expect today to finish about at that average, making for the coldest week (compared to normals) I've ever recorded.

Yea, that's the difference. Feb. 2015 was just constantly "cold" but not absurd. This is absurd. If we actually get what is forecastasted this weekend, and the signal for more cold long-term on the GFS comes to pass, this will take the cake for sure as it will both be sustained and absurd. 

2 hours ago, adk said:

Yea, that's the difference. Feb. 2015 was just constantly "cold" but not absurd. This is absurd. If we actually get what is forecastasted this weekend, and the signal for more cold long-term on the GFS comes to pass, this will take the cake for sure as it will both be sustained and absurd. 

The only thing close to this in my experience was Feb 1979, when 10-17 was 8 days with highs ranging from -2 to -7, bookended by 3 and 6 on 9th/18th.  Winds were constant, ranging from fresh to gales - gusts 50+ are painful at -15.  However, thanks to those winds, the lowest temp was a modest (for Fort Kent) -21.  Meanwhile, Rangeley had mornings at -38 during that spell, obviously w/o the wind.

So much weather to watch..

First the cold.  High temp over the past week was 12ish.  Congrads to Alex.  -31.9F last night.  Probably the coldest temp ever recorded by a AMWX poster, ever...

Now the storm.  SNE coastal special.  

Cold and wind afterwards looks epic.  I wonder if Saturday would be one of the coldest ever for NNE?  

Question about this storm.  I'd ask in the storm thread but it will probably be buried.  It seems I would be in a snow hole.  I guess its downsloping from the Whites to the north.  Wonder if this will really happen?

Event totals: 0.2” Snow/0.01” L.E.

The BTV NWS forecast discussion says that today’s snow is from the combination of a shortwave and a Lake Ontario snow band.  I found 0.2” of snow when I ran the analysis at 6:00 P.M., but the intensity of the snowfall has really picked up since then so there will be some additional accumulation to report.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: 8.5 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 11.0 inches

It's 945pm and 10F.  Just went out to bring wood in and it feels much more comfortable.

Boy, look at that downslope with Thursday's storm.  I'm going to be in a nice snow hole.  Actually, what is the difference of 7" or 3-4"?  Already looking at next weeks possibilities...  

Trying to read the storm thread but the weenies are all coming out of the woodwork.  Wish we could block all the newbies so I could just read the regular posters.  It's a bit like the models.  I know everyone's bias so work that in.  

Alex,  did you get outside at -32F and try any hot water tricks?  Would love to just feel what -32F is like!

4 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

It's 945pm and 10F.  Just went out to bring wood in and it feels much more comfortable.

Boy, look at that downslope with Thursday's storm.  I'm going to be in a nice snow hole.  Actually, what is the difference of 7" or 3-4"?  Already looking at next weeks possibilities...  

Trying to read the storm thread but the weenies are all coming out of the woodwork.  Wish we could block all the newbies so I could just read the regular posters.  It's a bit like the models.  I know everyone's bias so work that in.  

Alex,  did you get outside at -32F and try any hot water tricks?  Would love to just feel what -32F is like!

Lol I did. Was fun. 

Usually I’m rooting for these storms to keep coming NW but I have to drive to Logan Friday morning so a small part of me would like to see this pull the ultimate wide right action and head out to sea or at least book through the region so quickly that the impact is minimized. Don’t tell anyone, I don’t want my weenie card revoked. 

Event totals: 1.3” Snow/0.05” L.E.

That appears to be the end of this this event, with the next one on the horizon being Winter Storm Grayson.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 27.5

Snow Density: 3.6% H2O

Temperature: 7.9 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 12.0 inches

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

3.5" at home, over a foot on the mountain.

Here’s what I’m seeing for 24-hour totals reported from the Vermont ski areas north to south down the state:

Jay Peak: 13”

Burke: 2”

Smuggler’s Notch: 3”

Stowe: 12”+

Bolton Valley: 3”

Mad River Glen: 2”

Sugarbush: 1”

Pico: 0”

Killington: 0”

Okemo: 0”

Bromley: 0”

Magic Mountain: 0”

Stratton: 0”

Mount Snow: T”

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Holy ****.  That is all.  Mansfield surprise.  

FOR REAL.  Never expected 12" on the upper mtn.  

I went back and looked at the 18z NAM High Res to see if there was something I missed.  Sure enough there is a clear streamer off the lakes as the wind shifts. Hit right about when the big snows hit. 5a4cf40e3e25f_1.2.18NAM18z.JPG.69634300ce9c871b0662f39be909a0b8.JPG

5 minutes ago, adk said:

FOR REAL.  Never expected 12" on the upper mtn.  

I went back and looked at the 18z NAM High Res to see if there was something I missed.  Sure enough there is a clear streamer off the lakes as the wind shifts. Hit right about when the big snows hit. 5a4cf40e3e25f_1.2.18NAM18z.JPG.69634300ce9c871b0662f39be909a0b8.JPG

Haha we have threads for 100 of pages of posts for storms and then you look at that image you post and get 12" of snow.... and its like WTF?

Archived