Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, J.Spin said:

It looks like there were some slight changes in the projected accumulations map from the BTV NWS, but it seems pretty similar to the one I posted earlier today so I think they’re pretty happy with it based on the latest guidance:

24DEC17C.jpg

This will be like the 4th storm in the last two weeks that has given us a similar amount. If it wasn’t for the crap yesterday, it would be getting deep. Definitely not complaining though, much better than the grinch that had reared its head in some early model runs and this base will be solid. 

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

This will be like the 4th storm in the last two weeks that has given us a similar amount. If it wasn’t for the crap yesterday, it would be getting deep. Definitely not complaining though, much better than the grinch that had reared its head in some early model runs and this base will be solid. 

No kidding. We are down to about 15” of pack, although down the Notch towards Bartlett they never went above freezing and it’s getting pretty deep. 

Ended up with 5.5".   About 15" otg and 30.5" for the season.

So today's trend is for storminess to stay well SE. 

Wow on the cold.  Just looked at the Euro.  Maybe some of you guys can put this into perspective.  We have had more intense quick cold blasts but this just keeps going and going.  On the Euro maps I stay below 10ish for the next 10 days, unless I'm reading this wrong.  Is this pretty much unprecedented?   I also noted that the Euro has me staying below 0F for 54 hours later this week.  I have only had a couple of below zero days that I can remember.  It's very hard to do...

We ended up with 8.5 or so.  Still some light flurries in the air.  I tried to find undisturbed areas to measure and it looks like about 18 or 19 inches.  The trees also have a nasty coating of ice on them. A lot of drooping and cracking in the woods.

36 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Ended up with 5.5".   About 15" otg and 30.5" for the season.

So today's trend is for storminess to stay well SE. 

Wow on the cold.  Just looked at the Euro.  Maybe some of you guys can put this into perspective.  We have had more intense quick cold blasts but this just keeps going and going.  On the Euro maps I stay below 10ish for the next 10 days, unless I'm reading this wrong.  Is this pretty much unprecedented?   I also noted that the Euro has me staying below 0F for 54 hours later this week.  I have only had a couple of below zero days that I can remember.  It's very hard to do...

Was looking too, what type of biases does the euro have on 2M temps? I mean it is an OP run that goes 10 days out, so guess you take it with a grain of salt.  It looks  like very night is -10 to -20 here through the end of the run starting later this week., doesnt even seem possible, but who knows. 

56 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Was looking too, what type of biases does the euro have on 2M temps? I mean it is an OP run that goes 10 days out, so guess you take it with a grain of salt.  It looks  like very night is -10 to -20 here through the end of the run starting later this week., doesnt even seem possible, but who knows. 

Hum,   I don't know.  I just looked at the 12Z GFS too.  Starting tomorrow night it has me staying below 10F up till day 9.  Then one day in the mid teens then back down.  I am not good record keeping but I can't believe  I  have ever had such a deep, prolonged cold spell, ever..   This is the worst kind of weather, personally.  Super cold with no storms.  Nothing is worse!

9 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

There’s a streamer on the radar that looks to be pushing some snow through BTV and down the Winooski Valley – it will be interesting to see if any Burlington area sites report any flakes:

25DEC17B.gif

It just rolled through here. I was watching tv and looked out the window when I heard the snowmobile groomer go through. I was surprised to see it snowing at a pretty good clip. 

7 minutes ago, mreaves said:

It just rolled through here. I was watching tv and looked out the window when I heard the snowmobile groomer go through. I was surprised to see it snowing at a pretty good clip. 

Well, it looks like the precipitation is substantial enough that the BTV NWS has put out a Special Weather Statement to cover it:

25DEC17A.jpg

Special Weather Statement

National Weather Service Burlington VT

812 PM EST MON DEC 25 2017

NYZ028-030-031-035-VTZ001-005-006-008-017-260200-

Eastern Clinton-Southern Franklin-Eastern Essex-Western Clinton-Grand

Isle-Eastern Chittenden-Western Chittenden-Washington-Lamoille-

...AN AREA OF HEAVY SNOW WILL AFFECT SOUTHERN CLINTON...EAST CENTRAL

FRANKLIN...NORTHEASTERN ESSEX...SOUTHWESTERN LAMOILLE...SOUTHERN

GRAND ISLE...CHITTENDEN AND NORTHERN WASHINGTON COUNTIES...

At 811 PM EST...an area of heavy snow was along a line extending from

near Debar Mountain to near Au Sable Forks to South Burlington to

near Duxbury...and moving northeast at 15 mph.

Locations impacted include...

Essex Junction, Plattsburgh International Airport, South Burlington,

Burlington International Airport, Burlington, Plattsburgh,

Montpelier, Peru, Schuyler Falls, Saranac, Calais, Winooski,

Waterbury Village, Westford, Colchester, Essex Junction Village,

Williston, Worcester, Middlesex and Au Sable Forks.

* Visibilities will drop quickly to less than a mile in this area

of heavy snow.

Conditions can deteriorate rapidly in winter weather situations. Be

prepared for snow or ice covered roads. Slow down and allow extra

time when traveling.

LAT...LON 4468 7312 4433 7234 4422 7285 4443 7331

4443 7355 4447 7356 4444 7367 4444 7381

4457 7431 4475 7398

TIME...MOT...LOC 0111Z 243DEG 12KT 4457 7415 4446 7373 4446 7325 4429

$$

Lahiff

Hum,   I don't know.  I just looked at the 12Z GFS too.  Starting tomorrow night it has me staying below 10F up till day 9.  Then one day in the mid teens then back down.  I am not good record keeping but I can't believe  I  have ever had such a deep, prolonged cold spell, ever..   This is the worst kind of weather, personally.  Super cold with no storms.  Nothing is worse!
Would rather have a few cold days then another small storm, wash rinse and repeat.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

53 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Have about a half inch or more based on eyeballing it, as just got in from shoveling a little while ago.  Was surprised to see a solid coating out there, so checked the radar.

Heres the 2.45 degree scan...

IMG_7897.GIF.3af813794db2309ba1acf02036b6eb15.GIF

41 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Well, it looks like the precipitation is substantial enough that the BTV NWS has put out a Special Weather Statement to cover it:

25DEC17A.jpg

Special Weather Statement

National Weather Service Burlington VT

NYZ028-030-031-035-VTZ001-005-006-008-017-260200-

Eastern Clinton-Southern Franklin-Eastern Essex-Western Clinton-Grand

Isle-Eastern Chittenden-Western Chittenden-Washington-Lamoille-

...AN AREA OF HEAVY SNOW WILL AFFECT SOUTHERN CLINTON...EAST CENTRAL

FRANKLIN...NORTHEASTERN ESSEX...SOUTHWESTERN LAMOILLE...SOUTHERN

GRAND ISLE...CHITTENDEN AND NORTHERN WASHINGTON COUNTIES...

At 811 PM EST...an area of heavy snow was along a line extending from

near Debar Mountain to near Au Sable Forks to South Burlington to

near Duxbury...and moving northeast at 15 mph.

Locations impacted include...

Essex Junction, Plattsburgh International Airport, South Burlington,

Burlington International Airport, Burlington, Plattsburgh,

Montpelier, Peru, Schuyler Falls, Saranac, Calais, Winooski,

Waterbury Village, Westford, Colchester, Essex Junction Village,

Williston, Worcester, Middlesex and Au Sable Forks.

* Visibilities will drop quickly to less than a mile in this area

of heavy snow.

Conditions can deteriorate rapidly in winter weather situations. Be

prepared for snow or ice covered roads. Slow down and allow extra

time when traveling.

LAT...LON 4468 7312 4433 7234 4422 7285 4443 7331

4443 7355 4447 7356 4444 7367 4444 7381

4457 7431 4475 7398

TIME...MOT...LOC 0111Z 243DEG 12KT 4457 7415 4446 7373 4446 7325 4429

$$

Lahiff

My wife just came back from visiting some neighbors and said it looked like an inch or so has fallen and I verified from the comfort of the couch by looking about the living room window. 

Went to bed early last night and didn't bother to check the radar.  Surprisingly some nice squalls last evening.   1" new overnight.

Ice line that remains from the storm the other day is at around 1300 feet.  My trees are mostly ice-free but ridgelines just above are ice covered.  That ice is not going anywhere for a long, ling time.  Kind of too bad it didn't stick around at my elevation, would be nice to look out over ice covered landscape for weeks on end.  Picture of the ridge just to the east.  This is the view looking out our kitchen window of our neighbor's "weekend" house.  They are off to Europe for 10 days.  Looks like a nice ice dam weather....

ice.jpg

1 hour ago, Hitman said:

snowed all day on the hill.  2” On the car.  More up top but I was skiing an area that closed yesterday so it was hard to discern.  Where’d that come from?  Anyway, I’m not complaining.  Bonus powder day.

Snowed all day here too. Went through near white out conditions on 89 between exits 6 & 7. Not a lot of accumulation but definitely wintry. 

Event totals: 0.4” Snow/0.02” L.E.

Checking the BTV NWS forecast discussion, it sounds like today’s snow was due to lake-effect blow over, so that’s how I’ve tabulated it.

Details from the 10:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: 8.4 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 12.5 inches

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:07 AM, wxeyeNH said:

Went to bed early last night and didn't bother to check the radar.  Surprisingly some nice squalls last evening.   1" new overnight.

Ice line that remains from the storm the other day is at around 1300 feet.  My trees are mostly ice-free but ridgelines just above are ice covered.  That ice is not going anywhere for a long, ling time.  Kind of too bad it didn't stick around at my elevation, would be nice to look out over ice covered landscape for weeks on end.  Picture of the ridge just to the east.  This is the view looking out our kitchen window of our neighbor's "weekend" house.  They are off to Europe for 10 days.  Looks like a nice ice dam weather....

ice.jpg

Beautiful pic.  Between sublimation and cold/brittle ice cracking off in the wind, the ice load should decrease considerably over the next week, though it won't appear much different from a distance.

Archived