• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

dryslot

I popped up to the mountain this afternoon for a quick tour in the new snow – as of ~3:00 P.M. I’d say there was roughly 8” new at 1,500’ at the Timberline Base.  I toured up to ~2,250’ and found a couple more inches up there, but I was easily finding areas with 12-14” as well depending on which side of the trail I was on etc.  The skiing was excellent – generally bottomless on 115 mm boards and there was clearly plenty of base in most spots aside from probably spots that had been wind scoured.

Here at home I found a fairly decent stack on the snowboard  - roughly half a foot as of ~5:00 P.M.  I’m planning to run an analysis at 6 PM, so we’ll see where things are at that point.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back in Boston, waiting on flight back to NC. It snowed heavily all day Friday in North Conway after 10 AM or so. When we left the town at midnight, there was somewhere between 6 and 8 inches of new snow on the ground, and it was still coming down. It was a beautiful final day in NH. We've loved our time up here and appreciated the hospitality of those we met (including on this board). We hope to visit again someday. Merry Christmas to all!

Sent from my Alcatel 6055U using Tapatalk

Event totals: 11.6” Snow/0.52” L.E.

At some point overnight there was a little sleet – it was bonded together this morning by a bit of frozen mist, so coring was a challenge, but I was also able to corroborate the liquid by melting what was in the rain gauge.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches (sleet)

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 27.7 F

Sky: Mist

Snow at the stake: 14.0 inches

14 hours ago, J.Spin said:

I popped up to the mountain this afternoon for a quick tour in the new snow – as of ~3:00 P.M. I’d say there was roughly 8” new at 1,500’ at the Timberline Base.  I toured up to ~2,250’ and found a couple more inches up there, but I was easily finding areas with 12-14” as well depending on which side of the trail I was on etc.  The skiing was excellent – generally bottomless on 115 mm boards and there was clearly plenty of base in most spots aside from probably spots that had been wind scoured.

I’ve added a couple of pictures from yesterday’s tour up at Bolton, and my full report is on our website.  I’m surprised they’re reporting only 6-8” new this morning based on what I saw and what we picked up down here, but it’s possible that winds up on the main mountain made measurement more difficult.

22DEC17C.jpg

22DEC17E.jpg

Below is the north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas for Winter Storm Dylan thus far.  Totals were surprisingly up and down a bit from north to south, but generally topped out in the 8-10” range:

Jay Peak: 6”

Burke: 8”

Smuggler’s Notch: 10”

Stowe: 9”

Bolton Valley: 8”

Mad River Glen: 11”

Sugarbush: 6”

Pico: 10”

Killington: 10”

Okemo: 9”

Bromley: 8”

Magic Mountain: 8”

Stratton: 9”

Mount Snow: 5”

Event totals: 11.7” Snow/0.57” L.E.

As of noon the precipitation outside is a mix of sleet and sprinkles of rain.  There was another tenth of an inch of accumulation of sleet on the boards since this morning’s clearing, with the high density of the snow core attesting to the sleet in there.  The temperature down here at 500’ is just above freezing though, so fortunately there’s no substantial freezing rain to deal with.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches (sleet)

New Liquid: 0.05 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 2.0

Snow Density: 50.0% H2O

Temperature: 33.1 F

Sky: Light sleet/sprinkles

Snow at the stake: 13.5 inches

I just looked at the radar and noticed that the precipitation is already changing back over to snow in the Northern Greens:

23DEC17A.gif

Even if that snow detection is off, the changeover is quickly approaching from the west in Upstate New York.

I don’t see why Winter Storm Dylan wouldn’t be a net gain around here in terms of the snowpack and its liquid content.

1 minute ago, J.Spin said:

I just looked at the radar and noticed that the precipitation is already changing back over to snow in the Northern Greens:

23DEC17A.gif

Even if that snow detection is off, the changeover is quickly approaching from the west in Upstate New York.

I don’t see why Winter Storm Dylan wouldn’t be a net gain around here in terms of the snowpack and its liquid content.

There is no doubt it will be a net gainer around here. We haven’t lost much except some compaction. 

After today’s sleet, we picked up an additional 0.35” of liquid during the warm part of the day, then the precipitation changed back to all snow down at this elevation as of ~5:30 PM or so.  The temperature has been coming down fairly slowly and the flakes are modest in size, so accumulation has been fairly slow.  We’re closing in about a half inch of new accumulation though, so this backside of Winter Storm Dylan will be adding something to the snowpack.

Whole different story here J.

wicked mess, we bumped to 37 this afternoon, the whole sink has been unloading. Back roads went from best to worst in the time it took to watch the bruins game. Sheets of ice, cars sliding back down hills.  In the span of 10 miles we went through every form that could come from the sky.  Gonna be a long night for the    VTrans boys. 

31 minutes ago, borderwx said:

Whole different story here J.

wicked mess, we bumped to 37 this afternoon, the whole sink has been unloading. Back roads went from best to worst in the time it took to watch the bruins game. Sheets of ice, cars sliding back down hills.  In the span of 10 miles we went through every form that could come from the sky.  Gonna be a long night for the    VTrans boys. 

Wow, my el cheapo home thermometer says all we got to is 31. We did have some rain etc. so I did not venture on to the back roads. Did decide not to take the relatives visiting from England out to the local tree farm to cut a Christmas tree. They are too caked with ice and snow. Dig out the fake one. I know, I know, not a very Vermonty Christmas experience but seemed the wise choice today. 

SOS.  I'm taking my family including 4 young adults to northern Vermont next week (late Wed to early Sunday) to go XC skiing, snow shoeing, and sleigh riding.  We have a 10 AM XC lesson at the Trapp Family Lodge on Thursday. I sold this by saying we' re chasing snow; however, it may snow more in Maryland while we're gone then in Vermont.  

The forecast highs for Bolton Valley and the Trapp Family Lodge are expected to be in the single digits on the cold size of zero while forecast lows are 13 to 23 below.  Any thoughts on how I can make this an enjoyable experience for all.  I have some experience in the cold (grew up on a farm in northeast Iowa); however, my kids consider 20 cold.

1 hour ago, dallen7908 said:

SOS.  I'm taking my family including 4 young adults to northern Vermont next week (late Wed to early Sunday) to go XC skiing, snow shoeing, and sleigh riding.  We have a 10 AM XC lesson at the Trapp Family Lodge on Thursday. I sold this by saying we' re chasing snow; however, it may snow more in Maryland while we're gone then in Vermont.

The forecast highs for Bolton Valley and the Trapp Family Lodge are expected to be in the single digits on the cold size of zero while forecast lows are 13 to 23 below.  Any thoughts on how I can make this an enjoyable experience for all.  I have some experience in the cold (grew up on a farm in northeast Iowa); however, my kids consider 20 cold.

Jay Peak waterpark?

1 hour ago, dallen7908 said:

So if you have any who believe in bragging to friends about the epic cold, you might have a win there. Otherwise, I'd just recommend you make sure that everyone has (or will have) hand / foot warmers, neck gaiters, hats, long johns, etc. If any are interested in names on gear, you can get some really nice technical winter clothes that will make them smile. And with the exception of the sleigh riding, they'll be moving so they'll be getting warm that way. Good sunglasses or ski googles are probably a must too.

If you remember what it's like to come in from a morning or afternoon of skiing, you'll remember that they will be ravenous! I would make sure that you plan on making sure they've had enough to drink and eat at fairly regular intervals. Getting a headache from not hydrating enough will put a damper on any fun.

If all else fails, make sure that there's plenty of other young adults to interact with. The power of distraction is intense!

Finally back up the north country.  Feels good.  Left at 6 and was on the Hill by 11:30 no thanks to the taconic being closed due to an accident.  Definitely slick spots on the roads but generally good.  

On the mountain there was a crust where i checked around 2500’.  Breakable.  Like foam pellet board.  Looking forward to tomorrow.  

Archived