Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I'm gonna concentrate on the warmup the EURO is trying to get going here week 2 and beyond.  I am NOT a fan of brutally cold air with absolutely NOTHING to show for it, except for wobbly tires because everything defrosts for a bit when the car is idle or moving, but then once it gets shut off, its right back to a flash freeze again, of everything that just defrosted!

Give me 26-27F for weeks on end with cloudy overcast sky's versus, 8F with bright blue skies, Yuck! 

3 minutes ago, swva said:

68640844-0C6B-4E14-95A8-94C054FC64C5.jpeg

Man would I love to be where you are right now SWVA but I hope you didn't miss the lion share of this event.  It doesn't look that way from a wind standpoint as they go steady state for hours but perhaps just to ur North, IDK, but I hope its directly over you as I'd love to see 4-6" hr rates.

Trust me brutha, do I know, lol, its almost painful to watch so I really don't anymore unless I know there's a definitive wind shift approaching. 

Anyway, we should start to see some movement, of the band, to the South starting around 3pm, but it'll be painfully slow so I won't be watching till about 10pm or so far me but for you much much sooner. Too bad there isn't someone headed to the Montague radar site to fix the darn thing so we can actually see the thing.  It's tough tracking this from KBGM's radar but tbh, the cloud tops are upwards of 13,000-15,000ft at times so the radar beam has no problem seeing it from 90 miles away, which is really awesome considering its a mesoscale event.

15 minutes ago, swva said:

11 miles north C Yerdon reporting 48”.. 16” since 7am.  Crazy the difference 11 Miles makes and we are in the same town.

Per Buf, band moves through S. Redfield between 7 -11 tonight.  Im sorry swva, but kinda glad we did not get desyroyed.  Gotta snowmobile about 1/2 mile to get into camp this afternoon, and even with the long track 30-36" fresh is my max before wer start getting stuck.

Screenshot_20171226-123338-1080x2220.png

3 minutes ago, danno said:

Per Buf, band moves through S. Redfield between 7 -11 tonight.  Im sorry swva, but kinda glad we did not get desyroyed.  Gotta snowmobile about 1/2 mile to get into camp this afternoon, and even with the long track 30-36" fresh is my max before wer start getting stuck.

Screenshot_20171226-123338-1080x2220.png

Getting stuck with a fresh snowpack of over 3ft? Wow, that must not be a good feeling getting stuck because of too much powder on a sled, especially with a long track, lol! That must be some sight.  One of these yrs I have to head up and stay at one of the local lodges or something as I have to experience such a local phenomenon and I live 20 miles from the snowiest place East of the Rockies, and I haven't visited yet.  The closest I got to the Tug was Williamstown, on the Southern most portion of the Tug.

8 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Getting stuck with a fresh snowpack of over 3ft? Wow, that must not be a good feeling getting stuck because of too much powder on a sled, especially with a long track, lol! That must be some sight.  One of these yrs I have to head up and stay at one of the local lodges or something as I have to experience such a local phenomenon and I live 20 miles from the snowiest place East of the Rockies, and I haven't visited yet.  The closest I got to the Tug was Williamstown, on the Southern most portion of the Tug.

That's a sin. 

Shot taken from groomer windshield.  Town of Montague, Lews, Jefferson county line.  Often ground zero for heaviest snow on the Tug.  Montague may have made the area famous after their 77" 24 hour snow a bunch of years ago.

Screenshot_20171226-125950-1080x2220.png

Yeah I know, so I think it just got added to my 2018 itinerary for either the first half of 2018 or the last half, perhaps a Late November or Early December event, or if I have to wait till early 2019 then that's when it'll happen but definitely before the end of the 2019 season.  I plan on purchasing a new sled next season so I'll definitely wait as I just sold my old one.

Anyway, still no radar, which they said it would be fixed today but with such conditions, if they have to cancel, I wouldn't blame them as it must be bad up near Montague but I'm not too familiar with that area. Is Montague close to the heavier snow that fell with this event Danno?

29 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Yeah I know, so I think it just got added to my 2018 itinerary for either the first half of 2018 or the last half, perhaps a Late November or Early December event, or if I have to wait till early 2019 then that's when it'll happen but definitely before the end of the 2019 season.  I plan on purchasing a new sled next season so I'll definitely wait as I just sold my old one.

Anyway, still no radar, which they said it would be fixed today but with such conditions, if they have to cancel, I wouldn't blame them as it must be bad up near Montague but I'm not too familiar with that area. Is Montague close to the heavier snow that fell with this event Danno?

I'd say between Montague and North Redfield.  In my opinion, that Oswego County/Jefferson county line is number one for stationary bands and heaviest snows, best fetch off LO.  Its also where Buf usually has their bullseye.  That area also has 1800 -2000' elevation.  Im about 8 miles south of that area and elevation of 1000.  We do well, but crazy deep up there in the winter and hold it latest into Spring.

Lets see, as the band begins to drop, it may actually get a bit better organized as convergence is maximized within the frontal boundary as it sinks southward through the area. The long fetch continues down the entire length of LO, but once it reaches the furthest SE point of the lake, it will start to weaken quickly, as it loses its moisture source, LO, and once this happens winds quickly veer to the NW and the front sends the band through the area pretty quickly.  Until then, its painstakingly slow to move, but 4-8"looks doable, if the parameters and wind flow are to be believed, on the the soundings I'm looking at. Ratios will be through the roof as well, at at least, 20:1.

If they don't work, then throw everything out the window, and nowcast, lol!

Hi guys!  Just drove through the intense band off Lake Ontario...from just N of Pulaski to Adams.   Filmed the drive (whiteout conditions and extreme snowfall rates), but unable to upload footage to either this site, Twitter, or my YouTube channel via my phone.   Will try to share later once I get back home and have access to a laptop.  

I will continue to document this event the rest of the afternoon and into the overnight hours.  I'll post pics, as I'm able, to my Twitter account @tbrite89.  

2 hours ago, danno said:

I'd say between Montague and North Redfield.  In my opinion, that Oswego County/Jefferson county line is number one for stationary bands and heaviest snows, best fetch off LO.  Its also where Buf usually has their bullseye.  That area also has 1800 -2000' elevation.  Im about 8 miles south of that area and elevation of 1000.  We do well, but crazy deep up there in the winter and hold it latest into Spring.

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm researching property to buy for best LE.  It seems Worth, Lorraine, Boylston, Montague, Smartville are pretty good areas but I'm trying to find a topo map for the area you're suggesting.  Do you have a specific town I can research with the elevation? Thanks!

Nic

Wondering if we even get hit with the band sweeping south.  Latest discussion from kbuf says band will pull closer to coast as it drifts south.  This has definitely been a huge let down..  still beautiful up here.. I guess I need to enjoy my cold and dry week now.

Archived