SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

We all post model output that show's something for the, kFZY area through the CUSE, like this area should see some snow or something, when whoever lives in this area knows these models, haven't got a clue especially the HRRR, lol.  It's almost comical watching some of these meso scale models trying to pinpoint a band from 2 days out, lol!

Having observed here for 13 winters now, for big LES events it's not worth worrying about model output generally for IMBY amounts where we are.  I've done Bufkit analysis for years, not anymore because it's boring seeing the same results over and over.   You know what happens...flow is channeled down the lake and it sh!ts out snow east of the lake. I don't care what the mid and upper level directions are. It doesn't matter if it's 250-290... it's going to end up between Parish and Watertown onto the Tug. Occasionally, it'll set up just south or north of that line but never south of a Fulton to Central Square line for more than a few hours at strength.   After a disturbance or two shoots thru, the band is pushed south and collapses, typically ending up as NW flow multibands. Or the band moves back north in response to a wind shift ahead of another incoming system. Rinse, repeat...

I can pencil in 2-6" for any Lake event IMBY and be right 90% of the time...probably 3-7" up by you.  Fulton does better in general, closer to the lake and a bit North of my latitude. 

7 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Having observed here for 13 winters now, for big LES events it's not worth worrying about model output generally for IMBY amounts where we are.  I've done Bufkit analysis for years, not anymore because it's boring seeing the same results over and over.   You know what happens...flow is channeled down the lake and it sh!ts out snow east of the lake. I don't care what the mid and upper level directions are. It doesn't matter if it's 250-290... it's going to end up between Parish and Watertown onto the Tug. Occasionally, it'll set up just south or north of that line but never south of a Fulton to Central Square line for more than a few hours at strength.   After a disturbance or two shoots thru, the band is pushed south and collapses, typically ending up as NW flow multibands. Or the band moves back north in response to a wind shift ahead of another incoming system. Rinse, repeat...

I can pencil in 2-6" for any Lake event IMBY and be right 90% of the time...probably 3-7" up by you.  Fulton does better in general, closer to the lake and a bit North of my latitude. 

Good post, and true especially for our area!

7 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Good post, and true especially for our area!

Mexico is not a bad spot, they get nailed pretty good each winter...not as far out as Parish, closer to jobs in Oswego and northern burbs of Syracuse, 30-35 minute commute (in good weather). There's a reason no one lives up near Parish, Adams etc...between Central Square and Watertown...no jobs, no economy, longer commute and a lot of snow. If you have flexibility and don't want to live in Deliverance country full time...I recommend Mexico area.  Or get a "camp" (a very odd CNY thing) up on the Tug and spend weekends there. 

3 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Mexico is not a bad spot, they get nailed pretty good each winter...not as far out as Parish, closer to jobs in Oswego and northern burbs of Syracuse, 30-35 minute commute (in good weather). There's a reason no one lives up near Parish, Adams etc...between Central Square and Watertown...no jobs, no economy, longer commute and a lot of snow. If you have flexibility and don't want to live in Deliverance country full time...I recommend Mexico area.

Yeah, I regret buying in So. Oswego cty cause another 10 miles or so North, and I'm in mexico, what a shame. Who knew this 15yrs ago. when I purchased my home. I certainly didn't?

9 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Yeah, I regret buying in So. Oswego cty cause another 10 miles or so North, and I'm in mexico, what a shame. Who knew this 15yrs ago. when I purchased my home. I certainly didn't?

I had an inkling this was the case but similar to you, family considerations...it's not all bad. I spent most of my life down the I-95 corridor from VA to CT.  And so did you.  That's tougher for snow lovers. Actually, in SE VA, I pretty much wrote off snow but we did get a few notable storms and winters. Which made it more special. Up here it all blends together.  I won't b**ch about averaging 120"/yr...

But I view LES as icing on the cake. I'd rather see a decent 6-12" synoptic storm (or hybrid) than the usual minor lake effect here. Ideally, we get synoptic and then LES afterwards for a while (before it moves north).

Definitely a far cry from Jersey City winters thats for sure, lol! Nah, I guess whoever complains about 120" a yr avg should spend a couple yrs in the NYC metro area, where some yrs the first flakes aren't seen till mid January, and sometimes, like this yr, much earlier but its extremely anomalous!

Got to Redfield about 11:20pm.  About 5 miles out it was pouring snow!  Road was a mess but made it only to find 16” of snow accumulated in the driveway and huge pile where they had been plowing the street.  I barrelled over it and snow went over my hood.  Got stuck for a minute but finally made it to the door to park.  Not sure how much has fallen but 16” on driveway has to be today I would guess.  After unpacking and shoveling, it stopped snowing.. ha!  Waiting for the band to come back south!!

3 minutes ago, swva said:

Got to Redfield about 11:20pm.  About 5 miles out it was pouring snow!  Road was a mess but made it only to find 16” of snow accumulated in the driveway and huge pile where they had been plowing the street.  I barrelled over it and snow went over my hood.  Got stuck for a minute but finally made it to the door to park.  Not sure how much has fallen but 16” on driveway has to be today I would guess.  After unpacking and shoveling, it stopped snowing.. ha!  Waiting for the band to come back south!!

Excellent! Keep the reports coming.

3 minutes ago, swva said:

I took a picture of the driveway but don’t know how to reduce the size. Anyone walk me through it?  

By the way, I will start measuring as of 12am!

I don't know what phone type you have but you can crop it which helps...or download an app...android has an app I use...Photo & Picture Resizer.  Ther are others.  Not sure on ijunk but probably something similar exists.

1 hour ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Brian, if you chase tomorrow, we can meet up if your interested as I'm a few miles from you brutha!

I'll let you know. I can swing by on the way up. Not planning on a long day up there. We've all seen snow before. ;) Also depends on whether the band looks healthy.  Since KTYX radar no longer exists, hoping KBGM radar or the godawful WSYR radar can shed enough light on it. 

29 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

All depends which way the wind blows, every ye is different..Not as much of a difference between Fulton and Mexico as it’s made to seem..

E6E7DE58-B39E-413B-B4AF-402C64CFCAC2.jpeg

0038AA6D-4B95-4708-BA24-2504FC73EB9B.png

5C8BD10D-358F-416A-BC6B-E4BF1204D33B.jpeg

AE252AEC-C703-4602-9A72-4639BBB399E8.jpeg

Fulton does do well. I don't think it (usually) gets the longer duration single band events that park up north routinely, and Mexico/Scriba are on the southern edge of that, but Fulton I think benefits from proximity to the lake, but is not too close, still getting a frictional convergence advantage, for westerly flows off the Southeast end of lake. I've just experienced dozens of events being up in Scriba for work, where south of there has to wait for *whatever* happens.  In those events, the pivot stays over Fulton area longer. Fulton also gets a funky secondary band sometimes, that often is dissipated by the time it gets to the i-81 corridor or gets directed a bit NE, on average. Interesting meso climate almost.

4 hours ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

I remember that time period well. Fulton used to get 2' totals on the reg. It IS odd that doesn't happen anymore. And you guys do get shafted during synoptic stuff sometimes. Downslope?

2 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

Nws adjusted its forecast like I knew they would..

4BA3F661-908C-48C3-B9D2-899148936A66.png

6D6F0E31-1F3B-43B7-8E15-0A43168F3D3E.png

48F03290-A61C-491D-B404-3D480774342D.png

Yep. IDK. The NW component seeming less important. South shore is gonna have to rely on tea kettle stuff. It's been a very disappointing week. Gone are the 2-3' totals across the SE corner that were advertised, in earnest, by several models. 

LES simply cannot be forecast along the south shore. Certainly not more than a day out. Like someone already said, a lot of it is oragraphic. I mean, look at the persistent axis off the two lakes. It's no surprise that the Erie band is always positioned Sw-NE, while Ontario is always due W-E. It has more to due with surface features than upper air stuff. 

Just a few thoughts while I can't sleep. 

Archived