Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Few inches of concrete still left here with lots of huge piles. Pretty surprised most didn't melt with that warmup, high winds, and high dews. Should be a fun next two weeks. Think Rochester to Watertown towards Syracuse get highest totals by far the next 10-14 days. I wasn't with Devin on last pattern and was correct got 55" in 2 weeks. However, I am with Devin on this one for Southtowns north, not looking to optimistic for LES for Metro Buffalo. Also with the temps. coming lake Erie will be frozen by mid January, possibly sooner. I think we get 10-15" the next 2 weeks, but nothing like the pattern would suggest. There is a possibility of a big synoptic system in the long range that could save the day. KBUF mentioned the big SW flow events to early in their discussion, the longwave through shifted about 500 miles east the last few days which isn't as conducive to SW flow events. Wouldn't be surprised if some locations from Fulton to Redfield get 5-6' of snow next 15 days. :snowing:

7 minutes ago, tim123 said:

Weather has been to quiet for months. Since august. Hopefully we are gouing into a active winter spring

Once Lake Erie freezes give me sunny and warm. Winter is my second favorite season, nothing beats beach days with endless sun and warmth. :sun:

This was one of my favorite years tracking. We had that big LES event for south Buffalo/Southtowns in January with 30", that big synoptic event in March, the F2 Tornado in Hamburg (saw the funnel, missed the tornado), lots of high end severe weather in summer, the incredible warmth in September,  and almost 5' of snow in 2 weeks down here. It's been a fun year of weather here. 99% of the posters here only like snow, but for me personally I love every seasons weather. I wish we got more severe weather here, but the lake kind of kills most convection. The next big hurricane that hits southern Florida I plan to chase. The weather bucket list includes chasing in the plains, japan ocean effect snow, Cat 3 + hurricane intercept, and crossing off northern lights/glaciers in Iceland when I go in March before they melt. 

19 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Once Lake Erie freezes give me sunny and warm. Winter is my second favorite season, nothing beats beach days with endless sun and warmth. :sun:

This was one of my favorite years tracking. We had that big LES event for south Buffalo/Southtowns in January with 30", that big synoptic event in March, the F2 Tornado in Hamburg (saw the funnel, missed the tornado), lots of high end severe weather in summer, the incredible warmth in September,  and almost 5' of snow in 2 weeks down here. It's been a fun year of weather here. 99% of the posters here only like snow, but for me personally I love every seasons weather. I wish we got more severe weather here, but the lake kind of kills most convection. The next big hurricane that hits southern Florida I plan to chase. The weather bucket list includes chasing in the plains, japan ocean effect snow, and Cat 3 + hurricane intercept. ^_^

I think your underplaying how much snow southtowns north will get. This is a very wintry pattern and snow will come in all aspects, even nw winds can bring les...the point is its not going to be 2 weeks of wnw winds. Lets watch it play out as i believe alot if ny state will have deep snow cover by the 1st full week of January 

Just now, swva said:

And that is 10:1 ratios which we all know it will be much better than that.  Fun times ahead!!

And high res doesn't pick up LES well. Few more days and we will be in high res timeframe and will get a much better idea. I think you're going at a great time, I want lots of pics/vids! 

4 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I think your underplaying how much snow southtowns north will get. This is a very wintry pattern and snow will come in all aspects, even nw winds can bring les...the point is its not going to be 2 weeks of wnw winds. Lets watch it play out as i believe alot if ny state will have deep snow cover by the 1st full week of January 

I think the upcoming pattern is great for snow. But for truly great snow accumulations for Buffalo we need lake effect. I don't see the next two weeks as a great pattern for Metro North lake effect. The CIPS analogs agree. 

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

And high res doesn't pick up LES well. Few more days and we will be in high res timeframe and will get a much better idea. I think you're going at a great time, I want lots of pics/vids! 

We have been going for 12 years now and actually owned a cabin there for 3 years.  In all my time there, this has the best potential for something pretty significant..  Agree about high res models.  Nothing decided until we get closer for sure.  And I will definitely be taking pics and vids.. Hoping data works.. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.

Just drove around Hamburg and we still have lots of snow on the ground here. Definitely withstood the thaw pretty well. 

NAM into mid 30s tomorrow night into Sat morning for short time, the upper levels get warm enough for sleet/freezing rain but Sat was supposed to feature mid 40s and heavy rain. I'm not sure that is going to come to fruition.

namconus_T850_neus_32.png

Just got around to reading KBUFS discussion. :o

..A Christmas Day weather present: Lake Effect likely... Despite continued uncertainty leading up to the now long- advertised cold snap for next week, the leading edge of the airmass should be in place by Christmas Day, with the development of lake effect east and/or ENE of the lakes. The initial blast may even be accompanied by blizzard-like conditions within any lake effect. This may make travel miserable within traditional lake effect regions, but with less or minimal impacts outside of the lake bands - in this case from about KIAG-->KROC and SW into the Genesee Valley and Western Finger lakes. Pattern recognition pins this the early part of the week as a significant lake effect event with a longwave ridge-->trough from the Western US-->Eastern US. CIPS analogs have some impressive matches, but also several others that are only mildly interesting. From a forecast standpoint, the GFS has been hinting at rather high equilibrium levels (>15000`) for this event for several runs now. This may be important as recent studies indicate that it`s the high equilibrium levels (indicative of a deep layer with steep lapse rates approaching dry adiabatic) that separate the average lake bands from intense (>3"/hr) events.

Archived