Yup..

Have only gone with an
inch or less southeast of Erie and 2-4 inches across Oswego and
southern Lewis counties east of Lake Ontario. Temperatures will have
returned to a little below average with highs mainly in the upper
20s to lower 30s on Wednesday followed by a cold night with lows
ranging from the single digits above freezing to teens Wednesday
night.

6c77e763b5a050d0af597ca2499fad20.jpg&key=28581a0bdc5c1ebd998e0164098a0d81291f64de62a87dfb4cebb5063d51afbe
This is absolutely atrocious!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

What's atrocious is that all pre Christmas snowpack will, no doubt, be wiped out. We'll once again, have to start from scratch, to replenish the pack, but once the Cold Front pushes through on Christmas day, dry arctic air will engulf the area with minimal moisture to work with, lol. Sorry for us snowmobilers in CNY.
Mr Bastardi needs to re-evaluate his pre Christmas predictions of a probable white Christmas for the lower Lakes, cause he's certain a wave forms and rides the front and nails the Mid Atlantic and the NE followed by a resurgence of LES so we'll see I suppose.
If the Euro is holding any energy back over the 4 corners, as it usually does, then they'll be a better chance of the front making it to the EC, but if all the energy comes out, then all bets are off as this cuts up through MI, lol! What a complete joke right before Xmas.

Pretty stoked that the NWS is in the process of fixing the winter summary page!!  This will give us the last 15 years of spotter reports including several a year from Fulton :) I’m big into past weather and statistics..

Hi Mike, during some website work we lost some pages that are still in the process of being fixed. We will try to get this page and all the summaries back up and running as soon as possible. I will try to have an update for you in the next day or two. I apologize for the inconvenience

You guys need to start a panic room!!! Have a drink this evening, relax and enjoy that we have been awefully active to this point. Plus the ensembles and the last 4 runs of GFS are very cold with multiple lp's. Thing will be fine, now step back off the ledge!!!
I bet if you purchased a brand new snowmobile in 2016, and still haven't been able to get a good ride in as of yet, you'd be just as pissed, lol.
It's right on que too, as the season starts, lol, the snow disappears, like clockwork!.

That system that's cutting is a lock so if you wanna enjoy it, you can, but I won't. My ledge days are reserved for LES busts anyway, lol!

Snowpack took a huge hit today, went from 13.5" this morning down to 5" now. There's no way this pack will last till Christmas even in Orchard Park or Hamburg with all the warmth coming the rest of the week. There will definitely be piles of snow left but grass will certainly be visible. Oh well, maybe we'll have a white New Years, lol.

6 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Tom Niziol is a great forecaster, but Lake Erie is not gonna freeze in a week. if it did, that would be horrible for you guys in WNY. Does anyone know the earliest it ever did freeze?

Yeah Lake Erie has another month left with consistent cold to freeze. Even when it does we can get lake enhanced. It was 98% frozen a few years ago during Valentine’s Day and saw some of the strongest rates of the year with 6” of enhanced snow during a clipper. 

With nothing to track this week, thought I would take a look back at the pattern we just broke out of.  Heading into December, all signs pointed to a solid winter pattern setting up after the first week of the month.  It seems like most "normal" winters have 3 or 4 good patterns lock in where the bulk of our snow falls.  And most of these patterns last from 10-14 days.  At least for BUF, I would say the recent pattern definitely produced, even with the absence of any significant individual storms. Some highlights:

* 13 straight days with at least a trace of snow recorded (Dec 5-17)

* 11 straight days of below normal temps, with a 3-day stretch (Dec 13-15) averaging about -14

* 20" of snowfall over the period, which is about 20% of the seasonal average

* 11 days and counting with at least 1" of snow on the ground

The far western basin of Lake Erie was iced over as of today.  Looking on the positive side...the upcoming stretch of temps at or above average will put a temporary halt on new ice and keep Lake Erie open for business when the next good pattern hits. Not only that, but unlike some winters it looks like we won't have to wait too long for the next good pattern to hit (Christmas Eve?).

6 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Tom Niziol is a great forecaster, but Lake Erie is not gonna freeze in a week. if it did, that would be horrible for you guys in WNY. Does anyone know the earliest it ever did freeze?

I can remember some years it being mostly frozen over by mid January, not sure what the earliest a total freeze over is but I would think it would be the first week of January at the earliest, I can't see it freezing over in the month of December unless there were some downright frigid temps for a prolonged period of time.Dont think we have to worry about it freezing over next week but if stays cold for a couple more weeks our lake effect season will be done ... already...

Archived