• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

Figured this would be a good time to start a new thread with the warmup expected this week and return to possible mid winter conditions during Xmas into New years week.

During the next week we will experience a zonal flow and more pacific dominated pattern. It's not going to be a big thaw by any means. Temps look to be in the upper 30s/low 40s for 3-4 days this coming week with the potential for some light rain/mixed precip as well. There is a possible brief set-up for LES on Weds for areas SE of Lake Ontario. 

Friday night/Sat we look to experience a possible cutter that will usher in the next round of colder weather that looks to last at least 2 weeks following that. 

The EPO and WPO look to tank quite a bit with a positive NAO. The EPO/WPO look to overcome the medicore PNA set-up and user in a piece of the PV during Xmas week. This is brought out well from KBUFs long range discussion. They discuss big SW flow LES, very surprised by this as this pattern is still over a week away. 

Should be a fun couple weeks of tracking! 

Looking further down the road...medium to long range guidance is looking very interesting for the period from Christmas to New Years. For a few model runs now...this longer range guidance has been hinting at a return to notably colder weather for the Great Lakes region. A closed low over Siberia is forecast to break down in the coming days with a chunk of its energy being ejected out across the Kamchatka Peninsula and northern reaches of the Pacific ocean. Eventually...this very robust bundle of mid level energy is forecast to help carve out a full latitude trough over the heart of North America. While highly anomalous ridging off the West coast would extend from 20N all the way to the Pole...a large portion 0f the polar vortex would settle south to northern Ontario. This newly phased pattern would not only include a cross polar flow...but more importantly would allow H85 temps of <-30c within the vortex to make their way across the northern plains. While this long range forecast would place the coldest air of this outbreak over the plains states...the air would eventually make its way to the Ohio Valley. Climatologically...this is exactly where it should be to support significant southwest flow lake effect for our region. This would also come at a time (between Christmas and New Years) when impactful southwest flow lake storms seem to be most common. In a nutshell...the week or so from Christmas to New Years should feature colder than normal weather with the hint for substantial lake snows. For what its worth...the Climate Prediction Center is also projecting below normal temps for the Great Lakes region for this same period. Stay tuned.

https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/forecasts/reforecast2/teleconn/forecast.html

The EPS and GEFS both show this well in the long range. 

ecmwf-ens_z500a_us_11.png

gfs_z500a_namer_38.png

The CPC has pretty high confidence in below normal temps for this week as well.

8 to 14 Day Outlook - Temperature Probability

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Typical signal for big lake effect snow for Buffalo. I keep seeing the euro map showing Roc in a region with 95% of a white christmas and thinking I wish i could bet against it. We are sitting on like 5" of snow pack with several days approaching 40F and no big snow in the forecast. I'd put our chances at closer to 40%. Yeah, its gonna be cold. Our best shot is getting some Erie love. Because this set up screams SW flow. Unless a 4 corners low lets loose, this is all Buffalo. 

I know i come across as conceited, but honestly, I feel like I'm on a streak. I was never bullish on the South shore event. And I was consistent with the South Town thing (football game) happening. I'll hope to be wrong on this one. But I'd bet Buf (at least city south) gets hit around xmas. Roc, not so much. Syr, not so much. 

1 minute ago, rochesterdave said:

Typical signal for big lake effect snow for Buffalo. I keep seeing the euro map showing Roc in a region with 95% of a white christmas and thinking I wish i could bet against it. We are sitting on like 5" of snow pack with several days approaching 40F and no big snow in the forecast. I'd put our chances at closer to 40%. Yeah, its gonna be cold. Our best shot is getting some Erie love. Because this set up screams SW flow. Unless a 4 corners low lets loose, this is all Buffalo. 

I know i come across as conceited, but honestly, I feel like I'm on a streak. I was never bullish on the South shore event. And I was consistent with the South Town thing (football game) happening. I'll hope to be wrong on this one. But I'd bet Buf (at least city south) gets hit around xmas. Roc, not so much. Syr, not so much. 

The next cold outbreak is over a week away. Wind direction is all a guess at this point. If that long range comes to fruition Erie is going to start freezing up quickly while Ontario has 3 more months of LES possibilities. 

Not so sure vort, I have heard of “tea kettle” but not sure of the science behind it lol

Little tidbit on Tues/wed potential 

Still too early for forecast snowfall with this potential mid-week
event but lake induced equilibrium levels per GFS BUFKIT rise over
10kft east of Lake Ontario which may bring a few hours of
significant snow accum Wednesday morning. Temperatures will have
returned to a little below average with highs mainly in the upper
20s to lower 30s on Wednesday followed by a cold night with lows
ranging from the near single digits above freezing to lower 20s
Wednesday night

49 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Not so sure vort, I have heard of “tea kettle” but not sure of the science behind it lol

Little tidbit on Tues/wed potential 

Still too early for forecast snowfall with this potential mid-week
event but lake induced equilibrium levels per GFS BUFKIT rise over
10kft east of Lake Ontario which may bring a few hours of
significant snow accum Wednesday morning. Temperatures will have
returned to a little below average with highs mainly in the upper
20s to lower 30s on Wednesday followed by a cold night with lows
ranging from the near single digits above freezing to lower 20s
Wednesday night

It's usually when a LE forms over the lake, but doesn't push on shore. The snow then 'boils over' to the near shore. Usually very dry (30-50:1) and puffy flakes. Seen it many time when at school in Oswego.

8 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The next cold outbreak is over a week away. Wind direction is all a guess at this point. If that long range comes to fruition Erie is going to start freezing up quickly while Ontario has 3 more months of LES possibilities. 

Hold up...the blizzard of 85 was seen over a week in advance,  2000 was also spotted more than a week in advance as well...there must be a clear cut sign for kbuf to post that.

1 hour ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Hold up...the blizzard of 85 was seen over a week in advance,  2000 was also spotted more than a week in advance as well...there must be a clear cut sign for kbuf to post that.

You can get a general idea, but even with last event it was forecasted for Buffalo and ended up being a southtowns/ski country event. Specific wind trajectories are tough to pinpoint beyond 48-72 hours. 

38 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Sweet! It's gonna rain, then get cold and windy. Two neighborhoods in buf gonna have a white Xmas. The rest of us? Black ice Christmas. 

I'm just someone who likes to read and try and learn from reading these threads but I've been in South Cheektowaga all my life and don't really remember a snow base sticking around and not seeing the sun for 5 months. I hope we keep some for Christmas but will trade a white Christmas for a nice 20+ inch lake effect event by me. 

Global models will flip flop back and forth until a new pattern is established. Main player that contributed to the recent cold, IMO, is the EPO!. When the EPO is positive, we're pretty much going to experience above-normal temperatures and vice versa. EPO pops positive for a few days this week, then it's in the tank again, and this time off the chart negative! I just wouldn't buy into any one particular model solution for next week, just yet but that's just me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

Live by the models, die by them as well!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

At least models have been consistent with pretty cold air Christmas - New Years.  That’s ingredient #1 for my trip to Redfield. Now here is hoping for the right wind direction!

Archived