• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2017 Year in Review

Hoosier

The end of the year is almost upon us. Overall, this year wasn't that exciting for me weather wise... or perhaps a better way of saying it is that some of my memorable moments locally didn't actually involve storms.  

In no particular order...

The February warm spell

The September heat wave

The record breaking snow futility stretch in/around Chicago

Heavy LES on March 14 (some of the best rates I've ever witnessed)

I remembered a very windy day in January but I had to look up the date (so just how memorable was it, lol).  January 10th

A couple not imby selections...

The February 28-March 1 severe weather outbreak

And last but not least, I have to mention the total solar eclipse of August 21, as viewed from downstate Illinois.  A spectacular sight that I hope I remember forever.  

The end of the year is almost upon us. Overall, this year wasn't that exciting for me weather wise... or perhaps a better way of saying it is that some of my memorable moments locally didn't actually involve storms.  
In no particular order...
The February warm spell
The September heat wave
The record breaking snow futility stretch in/around Chicago
Heavy LES on March 14 (some of the best rates I've ever witnessed)
I remembered a very windy day in January but I had to look up the date (so just how memorable was it, lol).  January 10th
A couple not imby selections...
The February 28-March 1 severe weather outbreak
And last but not least, I have to mention the total solar eclipse of August 21, as viewed from downstate Illinois.  A spectacular sight that I hope I remember forever.  

February warm spell was amazing. Never watched the Daytona 500 with the windows open before lol

Locally it was really wet and stormy. Broke the top 10 as far as yearly rainfall records go. The number of confirmed tornadoes(at least to me) in the ILN CWA seemed unusually high. There was the one day that there were 6 with I believe a tropical remnant low. Saw about 5 different instances of pea sized hail which is more than I've seen in the last 7 years combined if not longer.

About the only significant event i can remember in my region of NW. KY this year would be the eclipse and severe outbreak of Feb. 28th. And everything fell apart before moving through my region although just to the NW we had the EF3 in Southern IN. Pretty uneventful year in my opinion, atleast in my region. Hoping for something of interest around christmas with the potential snow system but flip flopping models will do no good until a couple days before the event. I guess pattern recognition and trends are the most reliable at this point. 

March 20" synoptic snowstorm

EF2 tornado hit my Town. Has never happened in recording history. 

More severe thunderstorm warnings than I've ever seen living here with some incredible microbursts in one of them. 

Summer lasting into Sep/Oct. 

Last 2 LES events back to back 16" and 20" with thundersnow for each. 

2017 has been a great weather year for this area. 

Yeah the eclipse was definitely the highlight of the year for me.  Absolute surreal experience that only lasted a short time, but totally worth it.  Can't wait for the next one.

The incredible stretch of warmth in Feb is what I will remember most about 2017 weatherwise.  To me it was comparable to the incredible warmth we saw in March of 2012.  

What the heck, nut much else to post about..

Sunny and warm New Year's Day. A SWMI rarity no doubt!

Feb 18th 70° downtown Chicago, warmer than a lot of April days (lake shadow)

Cold early Sept, only to flip to record heat!

Neverending summer with shorts wx in late October

Flooding rainstorms in late October and the Superior bomb!

Dec 8-16 Clipper parade bringing hit after hit and a solid period of winter

Boxing Day GL's super bomb

2 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

What the heck, nut much else to post about..

Sunny and warm New Year's Day. A SWMI rarity no doubt!

Feb 18th 70° downtown Chicago, warmer than a lot of April days (lake shadow)

Cold early Sept, only to flip to record heat!

Neverending summer with shorts wx in late October

Flooding rainstorms in late October and the Superior bomb!

Dec 8-16 Clipper parade bringing hit after hit and a solid period of winter

Boxing Day GL's super bomb

Would be nice to be able to add something new.  

1 hour ago, IWXwx said:

Previous posts mention many of my favorites, but two I haven't seen mentioned was the 11/5 EF-2, since I was right behind it all the way to the OH line and I know that it's not local, but watching Jeff Piotrowski's live feed from Rockport when Harvey came ashore.

Yeah that was incredibly intense.  The most dramatic live footage I've ever seen of a land falling cane.

2 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah that was incredibly intense.  The most dramatic live footage I've ever seen of a land falling cane.

More intense than the Charlie gas station vid? Do you have a link by any chance to the intense part you refer to? What I saw before was rather mundane, guessing it got better later in that clip..

33 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

More intense than the Charlie gas station vid? Do you have a link by any chance to the intense part you refer to? What I saw before was rather mundane, guessing it got better later in that clip..

Watching this live and not knowing what was gonna happen next made it very intense to be sure.

10 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

yeah, that part was way more intense than what I'd seen prior. Being at night makes it even worse ofc! Presuming his car was sheltered at least a bit by a building?

Can't find a video that shows the roof collapsing for some reason, but here's a little clip I found.  This was being broadcast live at the time.

In general, pretty subdued year of weather in our immediate area.  Most memorable single event would be straight-line winds on the morning of March 1st.  Probably 70-80 mph winds...enough to do significant roof/siding damage in our neighborhood, and launch our neighbor's trampoline at least a quarter mile over the hill.

Archived