Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter model mehhem or mayhem nature will decide

weathafella

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Go Kart Mozart said:

Yes, you have done a twisting triple axle (whatever that is) and stuck the landing on your forecast...so far!

His second window is early Feb, which is more climo favored..mine is early March. But our outlooks are very similar and our first storm windows were, too.

20 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

He wasn't wrong about anything. His storm window was the same as mine.

He was talking about his medium range forecast...in the post he quoted from 12/31, he said that there was only the threat of a minor event in the upcoming week (which would have been through Jan 7th or 8th)...so unless yesterday was classified as a minor event, that part busted. The seasonal forecast is another ball of wax.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Hes talking about his medium range f s orecast...in the post he quoted from 12/31, he said that there was only the threat of a minor event in the upcoming week (which would have been through Jan 7th or 8th)...so unless yesterday was classified as a minor event, that part busted. The seasonal forecast is another ball of wax.

Was a very peculiar Defense of a 7 day forecast bust That seemed ok at the time but um ya...

2 minutes ago, Go Kart Mozart said:

After the torch, euro depicts a quick if temporary rebound of the +PNA, along with an interesting bundle of energy north of Lake Superior.  Not that this will happen verbatim, but it shows how we can get lucky if the roller coaster tips the right way.

Most guidance is showing that but its quickly blasted out and then the longer term thaw likely begins.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Epic torch late next week on euro....slow moving strung out cutter in the lakes gives us a couple days of 50s.

That puts it nicely ...  

850's would support a lot warmer... but, meh ... wind trajectory and sky would have to be perfect at this time of year to max that so best to go conservative for now. 

GEFs tele's did take strides in the warm direction, particularly post the 15th of the month..  Question for me is, are the models typically over doing it with pattern change. I just i guess i'm jaded by the last three years of us not really getting the type of positive departures the models have tried to forecast in extended time frames... like ...EVER. 

we've had above normal -that's not what I'M refuting. It's the scale of it... I've lost count how many big heat and/or warm looks have ended up pallidly warm in that time frame comparatively, and conversely, I can't count once when such a warm blast verified.  So, maybe now is the time.  Trend bucking happens at some point; it's a matter of when.

Epic torch late next week on euro....slow moving strung out cutter in the lakes gives us a couple days of 50s.

Sell. 

Odd run with 1000 mb low running into Ontario and eventually Quebec in mid January with this snowcover: 

http://www.intellicast.com/Travel/Weather/Snow/Cover.aspx

1000 mb low is sliding under NNE. Looks like the early vestiges of a SWFE. I'll concede if we don't begin to lose this look on guidance by Sunday...

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

That puts it nicely ...  

850's would support a lot warmer... but, meh ... wind trajectory and sky would have to be perfect at this time of year to max that so best to go conservative for now. 

GEFs tele's did take strides in the warm direction, particularly post the 15th of the month..  Question for me is, are the models typically over doing it with pattern change. I just i guess i'm jaded by the last three years of us not really getting the type of positive departures the models have tried to forecast in extended time frames... like ...EVER. 

we've had above normal -that's not what I'M refuting. It's the scale of it... I've lost count how many big heat and/or warm looks have ended up pallidly warm in that time frame comparatively, and conversely, I can't count once when such a warm blast verified.  So, maybe now is the time.  Trend bucking happens at some point; it's a matter of when.

Likewise Tip. 12z Euro run reminds me of several events NNE wound up getting snow from last season...

He was talking about his medium range forecast...in the post he quoted from 12/31, he said that there was only the threat of a minor event in the upcoming week (which would have been through Jan 7th or 8th)...so unless yesterday was classified as a minor event, that part busted. The seasonal forecast is another ball of wax.

Oh, sorry guys..missed that. 

well ... just to be clear and fair and objective...  I'm skeptical as to the degree of the warm up; not so much as to whether one will occur, and pattern augmentations and all that therein. 

we simply were/are not going to hang onto this blue balls swim just trying to get from our doors to our cars, with pow pow blitz' on the charts ...for much longer.  it's been pushing the climate as it is...  Man, NASA's state-of-earth press assessments for this interval are going to be a riot when they say the planet's like in the top 3 heat for this that or the other thing, yet, ...we here, yet again...we win as only one of very few offset regions.

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

well ... just to be clear and fair and objective...  I'm skeptical as to the degree of the warm up; not so much as to whether one will occur, and pattern augmentations and all that therein. 

we simply were/are not going to hang onto this blue balls swim just trying to get from our doors to our cars, with pow pow blitz' on the charts ...for much longer.  it's been pushing the climate as it is...  Man, NASA's state-of-earth press assessments for this interval are going to be a right when they say the planet's like in the top 3 heat for this that or the other thing, yet, ...we here, yet again...win as only one of very few offset indicators.

Maybe I'm talking out of my crack, but it seems that this region of the country has been a bit more resistant to global warming...at least relatively speaking on a gloabal scale.

20 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Maybe I'm talking out of my crack, but it seems that this region of the country has been a bit more resistant to global warming...at least relatively speaking on a gloabal scale.

oh absolutely... 

I've been hammering this for at least three years now ...perhaps longer, how every month the NASA press containing the colorized graphical depiction of temperature anomalies, ...the vast majority of times we are neutral/negative compared to most other regions and on whole of the entire Planet.  

It's really been rather remarkable how persistent that has been.  

I'm almost thinking it's related to those studies back in the 1990s, where it was discussed how the NE Pacific might cause cooling over N/A in a warm basin scenario associated with GW...  Well... kind of tough to argue against that look...  We've been in an EPO bonanza ...  But, -EPO and +EPO biased times probably happen in either extreme so who knows 

Whatever the cause ...it's real...  we've been in a cool bubble relative to the whole, and that is measured and empirical.

On 12/16/2017 at 1:41 PM, ORH_wxman said:

The euro matches much closer to what we expect these days around Christmas. Full blown cutter on the 23rd. We all go to brown grass and powderfreak advertises pond skimming and ice skiing. 

D7 Error ftw.

Hopefully history repeats itself to some degree...

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

oh absolutely... 

I've been hammering this for at least three years now ...perhaps longer, how every month the NASA press containing the colorized graphical depiction of temperature anomalies, ...the vast majority of times we are neutral/negative compared to most other regions and on whole of the entire Planet.  

I'm almost thinking it's related to those studies back in the 1990s, where it was discussed how the NE Pacific might cause cooling over N/A in a warm basin scenario associated with GW...  Well... kind of tough to argue against that look...  We've been in an EPO bonanza ...  But, -EPO and +EPO biased times probably happen in either extreme so who knows 

Whatever the cause ...it's real...  we've been in a cool bubble relative to the whole, and that is measured and empirical.

There's been some recent documentation about how temps in Vermont have increased dramatically (plus 4 to 7 degrees F) over the past three decades.  I'll see if I can track it down. 

15 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

oh absolutely... 

Admittedly an oversimplification, but the GOM is warming and FAST relative to the globe. Perhaps the GOM is becoming a better region for cyclogenesis and we frequently find ourselves on the back side of it...

Seasonal departures would help to quickly disprove this theory. Is there any seasonality to this pattern--are the negative anomalies more prolific in winter?

My feeling is we have seen warmer springs and summers but more cooler than average winters, which has helped to offset some of the warming on a net-net (annual basis), and especially relative to the globe.

Somehow, I don't think that 10-day Euro rainer run is going to verify.  It shows qpf in inches in the western areas, and a bit over half an inch in Boston Metro, yet over 2 inches at Logan Airport.  Did a supercell t-storm form right over the airport, lol? Any run with a qpf pattern like this has to be very suspect.

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2018010512_240_519_220(1).thumb.png.3b3aab7742b14b90378191c0bfa64b73.png

10 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

Somehow, I don't think that 10-day Euro rainer run is going to verify.  It shows qpf in inches in the western areas, and a bit over half an inch in Boston Metro, yet over 2 inches at Logan Airport.  Did a supercell t-storm form right over the airport, lol? Any run with a qpf pattern like this has to be very suspect.

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2018010512_240_519_220(1).thumb.png.3b3aab7742b14b90378191c0bfa64b73.png

I would take that with a grain of salt myself.

51 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

oh absolutely... 

Def. EPO driven....we haven't been able to buy an NAO for several seasons, yet continue to deposit six figure checks into the snowbank as if the NAO were irrelevent.  Even in a la nina....jesus lol. Now the NAO is primed to return in subsequent seasons imo.

Watch out-

Archived