Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter model mehhem or mayhem nature will decide

weathafella

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

'big time' requires a subjective definition that probably varies relative to the purchaser ...heh... but, 'some' relaxation of the cold has to happen. 

that's first off... 

secondly, sometimes these signals are over modeled? Particularly during regime changes ... and they will tend to take a bit longer to occur/set in.  That's sort of the 'climate' of modeling more so than climate.  Which, climatology of La Nina's (I think ?) favor early springs...  Perhaps there is something sage in assuming that might start in at the mid way point, if perhaps in intervals anyway. 

pistol to head, I'd say that we'll return to normal, with the possibility of a one or two days going above - as to how much, I don't know. This assessment is subject to change. 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Great Snow 1717 said:

As of now the models are indicating a warm up around the 18-20. As we both know that can change. It will be interesting as to what the models are showing a week from now. I'm wondering if New England is spared the worse of the modeled indicated warm up due to cold air seeping down from E/NE Canada. 

15 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Xmas was supposed to be too

Yeah but we never lost the big -EPO in the LR during that cutter-that-wasn't....we knew it was very temporary if it happened.

The whole hemisheric pattern goes against us by mid month. Hopefully it gets muted somewhat, but I'd be surprised if we didn't see a pretty good thaw.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah but we never lost the big -EPO in the LR during that cutter-that-wasn't....we knew it was very temporary if it happened.

The whole hemisheric pattern goes against us by mid month. Hopefully it gets muted somewhat, but I'd be surprised if we didn't see a pretty good thaw.

This.  Winter goes interesting hiding for a spell.  Hopefully we reload for a rocking February but it isn’t yet evident one way or another.

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

This.  Winter goes interesting hiding for a spell.  Hopefully we reload for a rocking February but it isn’t yet evident one way or another.

Typically the type of blocking we have already seen is a good indicator that it will return later...it was pretty extreme. But obviously it doesn't always happen. La Nina is usually not friendly to February.....but again, we can find exceptions.

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Typically the type of blocking we have already seen is a good indicator that it will return later...it was pretty extreme. But obviously it doesn't always happen. La Nina is usually not friendly to February.....but again, we can find exceptions.

Ventrice posted about disruptions to the SPV in late Jan early Feb.

They could be right Kevin...

I'm not arguing (necessarily) against a more meaningful warm up .. .but, the GEF's derivatives don't really support it very well. They do offer suggestion for warming, but with a robust return to positive PNA D7-12 as it is progged at both agencies... combine with an EPO that is actually pushing off the mode change every night, that means the EPS may be at conflict with the GEFs.

So, 'perhaps' it will come down to which is more believable ... If one is EPS reliant ..well, there you go... sounds like folks are.  Okay

13 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

By the way ... that trough pushing onshore out west D2 ...I'd watch that... It's not entire certain how much of the southern end of that thing is being perfectly sampled...

That's the southern energy involved with the Monday night threat right? I'm surprised no one mentioned anything about that today.

20 minutes ago, H2Otown_WX said:

That's the southern energy involved with the Monday night threat right? I'm surprised no one mentioned anything about that today.

yeah, I don't know if "threat" is the right adjective but ... for lack of better word.  The CMC was a bit more robust with that evolution and of course it's the least reliable mid range tool.

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

yeah, I don't know if "threat" is the right adjective but ... for lack of better word.  The CMC was a bit more robust with that evolution and of course it's the least reliable mid range tool.

Wasn't it showing a hit for this last storm while others showed a graze? Your point still stands though. Euro last night looked pretty good but today was not quite as amplified. Seems we'll have to trend the northern stream a lot deeper to get something sizable. 

wait, are you warmistas talking about week three?  ...

no personal deterministic views that far out, save for general concepts.  the pattern is transitioning... to what, I think we don't know.    It may be very warm, or it may be more modest, but I suspect the winter reloads before exit - and i still suspect it will exit early. perhaps ruining February for many.  that's based purely on timing pattern residence against the backdrop Nina climo  for early springs.  those two appear to be overlapping in timing. so..low skill but, just imo

4 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Torch incoming. Winter on hold after next week.

Man, everything has really gone according to plan....should that continue, it will really pick up again late in the season.

Not to say that we can't get some good storms mid seasons....advantage of having a meh pattern during mid winter.

Archived