Newest Member
    joxey
Winter model mehhem or mayhem nature will decide

weathafella

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, 8611Blizz said:

Does it reload to these ball breaking temps? For my sanity please lie to me and say it' closer to average ;)

Verbatim no but this setup could easily come back.   Rare that the cold blows its load for the season this early,

11 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Finals for December:

BOS: -4.0

ORH:  -4.4

PVD:  -3.2

BDL: -4.1

solid  winter month.

Some BTV CWA departures for comparison:

1V4... -6.3F

MPV... -6.1F

SLK... -5.5F

BTV... -3.5F

It has MVL as -7.5 but there's a bunch of missing data throughout the month so I'd toss that but it likely was in the -6F to -7F range.

For St Johnsbury and Montpelier to have departures greater than -6 is pretty incredible.  Not often you get winter months with -6 type departures. 

Also having the coldest locations with the largest negative departures...it was an incredibly cold month in the northern mountains.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Looks like weeklies cooled of again slightly, but it’s definitely not gonna hold a candle up to this cold stretch. Some guidance is trying to get the pacific jet more active which may break down the ridging at times.

We'll trade cold temps for action/precip and chances for sure.

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Some BTV CWA departures for comparison:

1V4... -6.3F

MPV... -6.1F

SLK... -5.5F

BTV... -3.5F

It has MVL as -7.5 but there's a bunch of missing data throughout the month so I'd toss that but it likely was in the -6F to -7F range.

For St Johnsbury and Montpelier to have departures greater than -6 is pretty incredible.  Not often you get winter months with -6 type departures. 

Also having the coldest locations with the largest negative departures...it was an incredibly cold month in the northern mountains.

Lol at BTV. 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Lol at BTV. 

Ha I almost wrote that -3.5 there might as well be -6 or -7 for the airport these days...given that it takes an act of God to get them below normal, much less a full 3.5 degrees below normal! 

But yeah when the other main climate stations in their CWA are -5F to -6.5F, they stand out at -3.5 there in BTV.

Seems like a decent shot we break the cold seige with a storm, then a thaw perhaps?  Somehow though, with the -EPO so persistent and Canada so cold I would think we go snowy again until something big shifts the pattern, perhaps in February? 2 solid months of deep winter and then an early spring would suit me.

I think the Pacific jet will try but it will be met with some EPO resistance.   I do think it will be active and given the ensembles trof ridge positions without NAO we’ll probably risk some warm cutters but I don’t think the overall AOB theme will change much for the foreseeable future.

6 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I think the Pacific jet will try but it will be met with some EPO resistance.   I do think it will be active and given the ensembles trof ridge positions without NAO we’ll probably risk some warm cutters but I don’t think the overall AOB theme will change much for the foreseeable future.

Yeah this isn’t some mild , winterless period. Just basically going from extreme cold to normal cold with swfe type events. 

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

and perhaps we will pop an unexpected -Nao at some point

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Lost in the blizzard is another snowstorm on Monday next week on models 

It's a rather snowy run for NNE at least.

I fly to RDU for the 13th/14th weekend visit so I'm expecting something historic to pop up around that time.

Archived