Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter model mehhem or mayhem nature will decide

weathafella

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Not going to lie, it reminds me of the WAA thump forecast for last year's March blizzard.  The models definitely over-did that QPF...remember it was showing like widespread 0.6-1.2" QPF in like a 6-hour time moving through New England?  

It snowed big but I remember talk afterwards that models were way too high on that amount of moisture coming out with the thump.

Totally totally different, that storm didn't have a moisture feed from the Pacific across the GOM over the Gulf Stream. Look at the entire setup. That screams 5/6 SD negative 850 inflow. It's about a perfect setup of moisture transport into a deeply Arctic airmass as there is. Cod mehs an inch of QPF lol , this place is nutz

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Totally totally different, that storm didn't have a moisture feed from the Pacific across the GOM over the Gulf Stream. Look a the entire setup. That screams 5/6 SD negative 850 inflow. It's about a perfect setup of moisture transport into a deeply Arctic airmass as there is. Cod mehs an inch of QPF lol , this place is nutz

I don't care if the moisture feed is from the amazon, if the mid levels go west, then the dry slot will truncate the period of snow.

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I lean more east.  I'm very skeptical when it's this cold of something trying to run the coastline.  But I guess if the upper air pattern helps it.... I don't really see how a deep low like that just plows inland with the Arctic air entrenched.  

Nice to over-analyze a day 7-8 threat though.

It most likely won't. But if it does it will not displace surface cold and we'll go from heavy snow to sleet then to a frigid (10'sF) freezing drizzle. I've seen it happen a couple of times in deep cold. Hoping not, of course, storm slides over benchmark with an enormous shield of precipitation and high ratios.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I don't care if the moisture feed is from the amazon, if the mid levels go west, then the dry slot will truncate the period of snow.

Gosh do I love following the weather, and belonging to this robust community of manly men and manly women who share that interest.

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Queens gonna queen. Pete repete every year. I look at day 7 evolution as a signal, others lay down rain snow lines, qpf maxes and minimums. 

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Not going to lie, it reminds me of the WAA thump forecast for last year's March blizzard.  The models definitely over-did that QPF...remember it was showing like widespread 0.6-1.2" QPF in like a 6-hour time moving through New England?  

It snowed big but I remember talk afterwards that models were way too high on that amount of moisture coming out with the thump.

Maybe for some places.  We had 15.5" with 2.12" LE, and 10 of those 15.5 came 4P-9P.  Given the overall ratio between 7:1 and 8:1, we likely got 1.2-1.4" LE during those 5 hours.

16 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That’s such a bizarre solution. I find it hard to believe there would be so much QPF with dual lows. Someone gets porked.

I want to know why nyc is in the bullseye so often in these modeled big storms....I have seen these all snow qpf printouts so often jp nyc metro....even though they have only verified a few times verbatim but still it is uncanny and seems to go along with the ridiculous amount of double digit snows have fallen in that zone in recent decades

it is almost like they are in a sweet spot like ne ct or orh and nw ri

1 minute ago, codfishsnowman said:

I want to know why nyc is in the bullseye so often in these modeled big storms....I have seen these all snow qpf printouts so often jp nyc metro....even though they have only verified a few times verbatim but still it is uncanny and seems to go along with the ridiculous amount of double digit snows have fallen in that zone in recent decades

it is almost like they are in a sweet spot like ne ct or orh and nw ri

7 days out or at verification?

Archived