SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 15, 2017 Snow Obs

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snow all but done here. Measured 1.1 inches which is crazy considering I didn't even know about this storm until 36 hours ago. Running total on the winter is at 10.35 inches. Anybody know where I can find normal climo snowfall for Allentown area in December?

I'd be interested to read any studies based on the correlation between how much snow/temps/duration/timing etc vs. how many accidents occur. There are a ton of accidents being reported in SE PA right now. One would immediately argue that there shouldn't be since we have like an inch or so right now. However, I believe an inch of snow is plenty as long as temps are cold enough. Once you get to 4-5 or 6+" we usually have knowledge of it in advance so that there are less cars on the road. 

It would be my hypothesis that events like this are more dangerous than MECS when it comes to car accidents. Even though we were put under an advisory this AM it was sort of late notice (not bashing NWS at all, models didn't really pick up on it until late), it is Friday rush hour as well. 

If anyone from the NE forum is reading this, I remember an events many years back where buses and cars got stranded over a quick, heavy snowfall in CT I believe. It was only 2-3", but it hit during morning rush. I might be wrong though on the details. 

I'd be interested to read any studies based on the correlation between how much snow/temps/duration/timing etc vs. how many accidents occur. There are a ton of accidents being reported in SE PA right now. One would immediately argue that there shouldn't be since we have like an inch or so right now. However, I believe an inch of snow is plenty as long as temps are cold enough. Once you get to 4-5 or 6+" we usually have knowledge of it in advance so that there are less cars on the road. 

It would be my hypothesis that events like this are more dangerous than MECS when it comes to car accidents. Even though we were put under an advisory this AM it was sort of late notice (not bashing NWS at all, models didn't really pick up on it until late), it is Friday rush hour as well. 

If anyone from the NE forum is reading this, I remember an events many years back where buses and cars got stranded over a quick, heavy snowfall in CT I believe. It was only 2-3", but it hit during morning rush. I might be wrong though on the details. 

Just wait till 5 when everybody's on the road

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Wentzadelphia said:

I have driven through enough "low accumulation" nightmares downtown over the past 30+ years to know that sometimes it's better to have 3-4+" on the roads than an inch or less due to traction issues.  I think part of the problem here was that it was so cold this morning (in the teens NW and probably low 20s downtown) that the ground/streets were pretty cold already. Add a little snow and cars/buses on that plus the melt/refreeze/melt/water-on-compacted refrozen snow on the streets makes it very slippery.  They didn't really brine the city streets for this event since they assumed there was enough material out there from yesterday's storm... But obviously that didn't help as they also need something to give traction for this event.

4 minutes ago, RedSky said:

1" at 4pm 

22.5F

Super heavy slow traffic with it the second Friday before Christmas 

Looks like about 1.5" here in Thorndale. I don't think Chester County put out any road crews until well after the snow started sticking. Roads are mostly compacted snow and slush. Took me over an hour to get here from West Chester on the back roads (because screw driving on the 30 in Friday rush hour regardless).

4 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

2.0" here now, 24F, still snowing, a little lighter at the moment....maybe an hour to go? What a beautiful thing this snow is!

Snow-Friday-12-15-17.jpg

Three snow events in first half of December. Last time that happened was a long, long time ago in a galaxy far far away...

3 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Three snow events in first half of December. Last time that happened was a long, long time ago in a galaxy far far away...

I'm actually going to see the new star wars tonight. Hopefully the roads are cleared up by then. Maybe the snow will scare away some people and empty up the theater. Probably not though lol

1 minute ago, Newman said:

I'm actually going to see the new star wars tonight. Hopefully the roads are cleared up by then. Maybe the snow will scare away some people and empty up the theater. Probably not though lol

That's why I went to see it here at 11 am.  Came out of the theater to the snow just starting and took it easy since the temps were so cold.  Some of the others who were there in my theater were freaking out as we exited when they saw the snow.  They apparently weren't ready for it! :lol:

2 minutes ago, Newman said:

I left an opening in that for ice planet Hoth replies lol

I figured opening day be jammed but passed the theatre at 2pm and it was around 20% capicity doh

3 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

That's why I went to see it here at 11 am.  Came out of the theater to the snow just starting and took it easy since the temps were so cold.  Some of the others who were there in my theater were freaking out as we exited when they saw the snow.  They apparently weren't ready for it! :lol:

Call me screwed up but I love driving in the snow! When the "weather people" say "don't drive unless you have to".....it makes more willing even though I don't "have to" but I enjoy the scenery.

Just now, Birds~69 said:

Call me screwed up but I love driving in the snow! When the "weather people" say "don't drive unless you have to".....it makes more willing even though I don't "have to" but I enjoy the scenery.

It's not bad if you have a nice accumulation built up on the road for traction (my Explorer has a "Snow mode" selector as part of its "terrain management" system). But when it is wet and icy and you have people who don't know how to drive on that, they may brake too hard and careen right into you or into an intersection!

Archived