Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/15 -16 /17 Sneaky Coastal

MJO812

12 minutes ago, Snowshack said:

Lonnie Quinn gets knocked here understandably, but Ill give him credit for at least seeming to have some enthusiasm for weather in general.  Some of the others on television give the impression that anything other than 80 and sunny is disdainful.  

Huge fan of Mr. G on pix. It's a G thing!!

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Animal said:

Huge fan of Mr. G on pix. It's a G thing!!

Irv Gikofsky (AKA Mr G) claim to fame was when he predicted way in advance the first measureable snow for NYC for December 1980.

Both he and the legendary Alan Kasper both worked for WCBS TV2 but when G got it right, he became top banana pushing Alan to the background.

49 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Latest HRRR, looks about right. Expecting nothing more than some pixie dust up this way.

5a33ddb564d07.png

It actually looks less impressive now NW of the city. The new NWS update is >1”. This may be nothing more than flurries and maybe a dusting if you’re lucky up here....

4 minutes ago, jr461 said:

The other great one that no one has mentioned is Craig Allen.  Unfortunately he's only on TV on the weekend on PIX but every day on WCBS radio 880.

He, Goldberg, Smith and Gregory are the only ones I pay attention to.  

Yes, I hear him weekdays on WCBS!

Another one is Joe Cioffi!

2 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

It actually looks less impressive now NW of the city. The new NWS update is >1”. This may be nothing more than flurries and maybe a dusting if you’re lucky up here....

0-2" lol.   That should cover all the possibilities for western and northern areas. 

12 minutes ago, sferic said:

Irv Gikofsky (AKA Mr G) claim to fame was when he predicted way in advance the first measureable snow for NYC for December 1980.

Both he and the legendary Alan Kasper both worked for WCBS TV2 but when G got it right, he became top banana pushing Alan to the background.

Was that Christmas 1980 same day that NYC went below zero (-1) for the first time on Christmas?  Bob Harris was also great back in the day, he was the only one who predicted the 36 hr Feb 1991 snow storm.

2 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

it never was more than that. Nothing showed anything more than mood flakes north of the Tap... this should be a nice quick hitter for south/central jersey and the coastline, with over-performing potential south shore/E long island

8 minutes ago, jr461 said:

The other great one that no one has mentioned is Craig Allen.  Unfortunately he's only on TV on the weekend on PIX but every day on WCBS radio 880.

He, Goldberg, Smith and Gregory are the only ones I pay attention to.  

Completely agree. Those guys are the only 4 NYC TV regulars that are good. I love Joe Cioffi too but he only fills in on channel 11 every once in awhile. I don't know how people are praising Mr. G. He's not a meteorolgist and is awful. I've caught so many huge mistakes from him through the years.

Radar starting to light up over N MD, should ramp up quickly with the lift moving over the area and to the east. This won’t be a long lasting event given the system’s quick lurch east, but hopefully we get a good moderate burst for a few hours which can drop up to 3” where lucky. Given the lift in the DGZ, ratios should be more like 15-1, and obviously we’re more than cold enough. 

47 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

it never was more than that. Nothing showed anything more than mood flakes north of the Tap... this should be a nice quick hitter for south/central jersey and the coastline, with over-performing potential south shore/E long island

0z was a little more impressive nw of the city but yea, mood flakes up here this afternoon/evening. If the new HRRR is correct, we are seeing nothing more than flurries, 0 accumulation, doesn’t even have a dusting

1 hour ago, winterwx21 said:

Completely agree. Those guys are the only 4 NYC TV regulars that are good. I love Joe Cioffi too but he only fills in on channel 11 every once in awhile. I don't know how people are praising Mr. G. He's not a meteorolgist and is awful. I've caught so many huge mistakes from him through the years.

Keep it here

1 hour ago, winterwx21 said:

Joe C is a regular on Fios, plus he does twice daily streams (once on you tube once on FB) about the weather. More when we have big events  (like all the hurricanes this year). Answers questions from people watching the stream. He is often joined by Joe Rao on the FB stream.

I still don't quite understand the logic of issuing a WWA for 3" of snow. Like why is that the threshold? 1-2" of snow on pavement can cause lots of problems just as freezing drizzle can yet no advisory would be issued. We've seen this time and time again, yet on a Saturday afternoon in March with temps of 33 they'll issue one for 3-5" of slushy accumulations on grass because it meets the 3" threshold. To me it should be about the conditions of the roads since that's the impact most are concerned about (besides schools and public transportation)

33 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

I still don't quite understand the logic of issuing a WWA for 3" of snow. Like why is that the threshold? 1-2" of snow on pavement can cause lots of problems just as freezing drizzle can yet no advisory would be issued. We've seen this time and time again, yet on a Saturday afternoon in March with temps of 33 they'll issue one for 3-5" of slushy accumulations on grass because it meets the 3" threshold. To me it should be about the conditions of the roads since that's the impact most are concerned about (besides schools and public transportation)

I tend to agree.  

Despite this, most of the general public doesn't even know what a WWA is or who issues one.

Archived