Newest Member
    joxey
December 2017 Mid-Long Range Disco 2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, BlueDXer75 said:

Thanks for all the work you do.  I work overnights and look forward to your analysis

No problem! I'm just a high school student with all the free time in the world because I'm on Winter Break. I'm not too scientific since I lack too much knowledge about that, but I try my best

14 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Euro/GFS latch on to idea of targeting cold dump to Midwest rather than Midwest/West. Probably means colder temps for us as well

850's looks different at Hours 216 and 240.  Is there some sort of s

Just now, Cobalt said:

Euro is bone cold for Wednesday morning

ecmwf_t2m_washdc_35.thumb.png.0b3115fd9b175c8c8dbd216d7cfe2687.png

850's looks different at the end of the run.  Is there something brewing in the southern states at that time?

0z EPS still adds 1" of precip to the mean after the 25th. Doesn't look like the best pattern for big snow events, but we can still get some light-moderate events during this I'm guessing 2 or 3 week period of cold. I like the idea of nickel and diming our way to climo snowfall, and Nina winters excel at this eps_tsnow_m_washdc_61.thumb.png.33950ae976027e9e75507b59360ec5ce.png

Before I go to sleep, just giving you the NAM's take on this Thursday's event

namconus_ref_frzn_neus_39.thumb.png.ae3a54d34e63ce6bb3e85892e79a9434.png

North by a bit compared to 0z. So far the model bias has been South and weak, so if this known bias is the same, we have have a chance of this going North. Not much probably, since ground and air temps aren't the best. I'd say best case scenario (maybe 3% chance, I know this is an arbitrary number but it's a guess), of 1-3" of snow for DC, and maybe SE burbs, since those areas would have the best chance of colder air while the storm departs. A long shot, but we've gone from no snow to 2-4" in the models in mere days. You never know. Anyways, I'm gonna hit the hay. Hope these posts were informative for those who wake up and see these in the morning. 

Without nitpicking at 6 days out, GEPS has joined the GEFS (which ironically has become steadier and more consistent) in signal for a coastal low on Dec 25. EPS has more of a wave. Would like to see this slp develop a little farther South/quicker on future runs but we should take this look and run all things considered. I wouldnt be surprised to see the ops toss around a fantasy run today at some point. I havent dug any further into the ens or individual members yet.....will do later when time permits.

Eta: EPS mean is actually a much better slp signal just displaced West along immediate coast which is weird given the EPS had a BIG time favorable shift at h5 getting front cleared 12 hours sooner and cold air rushing in much quicker. Really good trends.

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic

Archived