SnowHabit
South of the pike clipper

ORH_wxman

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Love these last second nickels and dimes . 1-3” is great 

Hopefully it isn't just virga or flurries. I'd feel ok if I was down on the south coast....but you'll have a shot. Maybe even up here I'll get something, but that area from DXR to GON looks like the best chance.

Yes, the models have come in north with the clipper once again, I would go with 2-4" on the Islands and 1-3" for the Cape and South Coast of New England, could change it to a more robust forecast if the models at 00z come in stronger and there is less dry air to deal with, I don't my area will deal with too much dry air.

Will since Central MI is getting close to 8", why doesn't that rule of doubling our amounts work with this clipper system?  Remember the NWS AFD discussion here during the Blizzard of 2005, one of the reasons they went with a large area of 24-30" of snow was because MI had already picked up 20" of fluff without taping into the Atlantic Ocean moisture reserve?  Why can't the same thing happen here, we have a potent vort max, a strong redeveloping coastal storm that is north of the benchmark.

4 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

If the clipper is actually going north of the benchmark and strengthening while passing it, why can't we see more moisture?

Maybe you'll get lucky that far SE...but for most of us, we have the problem of moisture advection in the lower levels due to the confluent flow caused by yesterday's departing storm.

8 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Models tend to come northward with clippers as they over forecast the position of the vortex too far south

You sound like you are wishcasting. Clippers are generally pretty weak and don't have the convection that larger systems coming out of the south have to help bump them north compared to model expectations.

There's a chance this one produces for your area, but no need to just throw out every anecdote that may not even be applicable to this system. Yeah, it might come north a little more...the models at 12z did...but it doesn't mean it will continue. As for Michigan, the heavy snow there is expected. It is not some huge surprise if people see 6"+ there or even pockets of 8-10. It doesn't necessarily say anything about what we will see.

8 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

to post so often...

Put them into one post

I have a lot to say

Clipper is enhancing cloud tops cooling across VA

Precip is filling in with that main band over MI

Detroit MI could see 10"+ from this clipper

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

You sound like you are wishcasting. Clippers are generally pretty weak and don't have the convection that larger systems coming out of the south have to help bump them north compared to model expectations.

There's a chance this one produces for your area, but no need to just throw out every anecdote that may not even be applicable to this system. Yeah, it might come north a little more...the models at 12z did...but it doesn't mean it will continue. As for Michigan, the heavy snow there is expected. It is not some huge surprise if people see 6"+ there of even pockets of 8-10. It doesn't necessarily say anything about what we will see.

I was just wondering given what the NWS discussion said for the Blizzard of 2005 that Saturday before the snow hit.

Will I am sorry, I don't mean to wishcast, just trying to cover all angles of this clipper.

Back to reality from a 2005 name drop, HRRR looks very rich and gets better each run, a 2-4 along the south coast would not surprise me, some OES down there too. Its gotten less sheared today as yesterdays has pulled the confluence up father. Couple of things too, instant accumulations on all surfaces and roads will be slick

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Back to reality, HRR looks very nich and gets better each run, a 2-4 along the south coast would not surprise me, some OES down there too. Its gotten less sheared today as yesterdays has puled the confluence up father. Couple of things too, instant accumulations on all surfaces and roads will be slick

Almost nukes the thing at 18 hours... you can see much better moisture transport developing. 

Archived