Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
South of the pike clipper

ORH_wxman

15 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Nobody will. But the problem is communication. Everyone just brushed it off, but if you word it that you'll have 2-3+" on the roads sticking immediately at 20F..it may allow for some rethinking of better planning of morning rituals. There was a SWS on the event, but those are not going to be broadcasted on the software like advisories or warnings. So it goes unnoticed basically. Anyways a 2-3" event should have an advisory. 

Temps should prob be factored in to marginal advisory stuff...2-3" over the course of 7 hours when it's 31F and during the day is going to have a low impact. But 2-3" in 4 hours with temps in the teens for early morning rush hour is def advisory worthy.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Temps should prob be factored in to marginal advisory stuff...2-3" over the course of 7 hours when it's 31F and during the day is going to have a low impact. But 2-3" in 4 hours with temps in the teens for early morning rush hour is def advisory worthy.

Depends on rates too. If it’s spread out over 6-8hrs with 1/4-1/2”/hr rates, that fluff usually just blows off the road  here and everyone does 60mph. Once it starts to grime up then it becomes a disaster as the salt struggles to work its magic. People should always be using caution this time of year. I’ve been surprised quite a few times by black ice when I didn’t expect it. 

32 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Nobody will. But the problem is communication. Everyone just brushed it off, but if you word it that you'll have 2-3+" on the roads sticking immediately at 20F..it may allow for some rethinking of better planning of morning rituals. There was a SWS on the event, but those are not going to be broadcasted on the software like advisories or warnings. So it goes unnoticed basically. Anyways a 2-3" event should have an advisory. 

2 things about this.

I completely agree the advisory threshold for snow is ridiculous. Any time you have accumulating snow on roads/highways it seems like an advisory is a good idea. How many flood advisories do we get for a puddle? How is that more hazardous than an inch of snow on I-95 during rush hour?

Secondly, I'm not even that sure advisories matter much to the public. How many people know what the advisory means? Who would say, "I can't travel this morning because there's a winter weather advisory?" It's incumbent upon the media to nail the impacts... a lot of these events I spend so much time on impact I don't even have time to get to the WWA map. 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I don't think 99% of those people who receive them pay attention or change what they do

55 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I don't think 99% of those people who receive them pay attention or change what they do

Most of the 'normals' i talk to have no idea what an advisory, watch or warning means or the difference between them, they just know something is coming and want to know when and how much (down to the inch usually).

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I know what you mean but part of the problem are the OCMs. They should communicate that, but when there was no advisory easily just brush it off. So I suppose part of the problem is on them.

56 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I know what you mean but part of the problem are the OCMs. They should communicate that, but when there was no advisory easily just brush it off. So I suppose part of the problem is on them.

Agreed.  I didn’t look for any forecasts on any media yesterday (I knew what was coming...or not coming).  Was it blown by a bunch?

Archived