December 12 Winter storm observations

STILL N OF PIKE

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Well then Jay must have got 20"

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Honestly they very well may.  I get it they are a bit optimistic but they are the snowiest spot in New England, IMO.  

They will get lit tonight and tomorrow.  

As of 2pm we had 14" in the past 36 hours on Mansfield and I'm thinking we add 4-8+" to that.  And that's measured in a relatively controlled manner for a ski area.

Honestly they very well may.  I get it they are a bit optimistic but they are the snowiest spot in New England, IMO.  

They will get lit tonight and tomorrow.  

As of 2pm we had 14" in the past 36 hours on Mansfield and I'm thinking we add 4-8" to that.

That's awesome. I'm a bit envious of all these 6-8" reports.

13 hours ago, dendrite said:

This has a really good ageostrophic component with arctic dews up into Maine. So the precip gets up there, wetbulbs down, and that cold just keeps draining on in. When it’s more of an in-situ CAD deal, Dover can struggle holding the cold, but back here to the Lakes Region, North Conway, and Plymouth struggle to have it scoured out. 

You know what, I'm going to give a shout out to the GFS. I think I mentioned it in the discussion thread, but the GFS held 925 ageostrophic winds at PWM at due north through 18z. By 21z they had flipped to SE. It was between 18 and 21z that PWM finally went over to PL/FZRA. 

Until that ageostrophic flow turns easterly, there is really no reason for the cold air to budge.

13 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's always kind of amusing to see model guidance trying to scour out an arctic dome over snow pack in CNE and Maine when you have a low trying to redevelop....it struggles enough down here in interior SNE, but it's on another level there.

It seems this happens every single winter at least 2 or 3 times.

RGEM from Monday night (12.00z run) had MHT climbing to 43 by 21z. They still haven't cracked freezing for the day. 

7 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

It was a bit of a unique development. Midlevels kept the best lift to the west so we ended up with a more sloped gradient and the qpf production was very good there. More Longitude than latitude. Usually latitude is dominant in the snowfall but not in this one. 

Congrats on the good storm. Just glad CAD won out here and we kept our snowpack. 

It definitely wasn't your chalk SWFE type scenario. The warmth really came in from the east vs. the south. As the surface low tried to squeeze under NNE, it allowed the warmer air east of the coastal front to slosh towards the coast quickly in the afternoon. Of course we had serious CAD in place so the surface cold didn't budge, and we ended up with an elevated warm layer instead. 

The only torch we had was RKD which spiked to 48 just after 00z. Otherwise we could only muster some 32 or 33 degree readings near the coast. 

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

It definitely wasn't your chalk SWFE type scenario. The warmth really came in from the east vs. the south. As the surface low tried to squeeze under NNE, it allowed the warmer air east of the coastal front to slosh towards the coast quickly in the afternoon. Of course we had serious CAD in place so the surface cold didn't budge, and we ended up with an elevated warm layer instead. 

The only torch we had was RKD which spiked to 48 just after 00z. Otherwise we could only muster some 32 or 33 degree readings near the coast. 

I said it earlier in the thread but you might not have seen it.  I think you guys did a great job of staying aggressive.  Good meteorology when the models were confusing.  Dendrite too.  The gut call from many was colder, and it was a good call.  Thanks!

12 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

I said it earlier in the thread but you might not have seen it.  I think you guys did a great job of staying aggressive.  Good meteorology when the models were confusing.  Dendrite too.  The gut call from many was colder, and it was a good call.  Thanks!

It can be tough sometimes. The models do an admirable job showing the CAD, and it looks realistic so you want to believe it. But you just know interior places aren't going to torch into the 40s. It just can feel lonely sometimes lopping 15-20 degrees off a model knowing full well it has huge ptype implications.

17 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

It can be tough sometimes. The models do an admirable job showing the CAD, and it looks realistic so you want to believe it. But you just know interior places aren't going to torch into the 40s. It just can feel lonely sometimes lopping 15-20 degrees off a model knowing full well it has huge ptype implications.

Meteorology not modelology

13 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Hmm.looks like south and west got the prize. I was painted for 5" with range of 3-5" but assumed we'd finish on higher side due to little taint at the end. I think we missed most of the good echos

We didn't miss the zr here, It absolutely poured.

Miserable here as it was a cold 33 degree rain, but I hear we got around a foot at the cabin. Plymouth was 12", Campton 11" and WV reports 12". Thornton is next to all 3. Damn, I just wish I was there for the event. Not too often do they get a foot. Too north for coastals, and they don't cash in on backside orographics. This was a GREAT storm for ski country. Most of them reporting a solid foot with more on the back side today. This is great news heading into Christmas.

Archived