Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 12 Winter storm observations

STILL N OF PIKE

2 hours ago, WxBlue said:

I don't think I ever measured on top of old snow pack before :lol: thankfully, there's a spot where my board was where I can measure the new snow.

Given where you lived, that's not much of a surprise.  Even where I grew up in north Jersey, the highlands not the NYC apron communities, it was rare for snow to fall on snow, and when it did the earlier stuff usually had a crust that would bear a small car.  I can recall only 2 powder-on-powder times.  One was in Feb 1967 when we had 4" ending at 8 AM on the 6th as a cold front roared in, and by 5 the next morning a much bigger storm had arrived (before the 1st one had a chance to crusticate.)  The major instance came Jan-Feb 1961, with 20" on Jan 19-20 (the JFK inaugural storm), a couple small events, then 24" on Feb 3-4 (with NYC's fastest Feb wind on record.)  That stretch was the city's longest run - 16 days - of remaining below 32, actually below 30.  I doubt it reached above 25 where we lived.  Some nearby slightly higher elevations reported depths on Feb 4/5 of 47" to 52".  I'd guess we were close to 45, far above anything where I lived before moving to northern Maine.

Here in Augusta it's still teens and little flakes, perhaps 3" new.  Talked with a co-worker from the Farmington office, and he thinks it's closer to 6" there.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I think we’re close to flipping. Looks like we’re getting partially refrozen flakes

Yeah, that's what the GFS was showing for areas basically south and east of the lakes region for this afternoon. I wonder if it ever makes it to Gene before the mid levels start to cool. I'd say you guys overperformed on this one, and more possible snow on the backside.

15 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Probably end up with 8+ you Eyeore

Possible.....we'll see what happens with the stuff in Berkshire County.

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it's pretty funny actually...and of course MPM b**ching about a storm right up until go-time is like the tides and sunrise....you can depend on it. :lol:

LOL.

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

On the back edge now. Looks like it’ll end up an all snow event. 

Does that dry slot come in here or does all the stuff further west pivot enough east to keep us going into the evening.  That is the big question!  

Meanwhile snow rate is really increasing...

Hum,  Steele Hill webcam vis just went way up.  Mix has to be so close...

2 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Does that dry slot come in here or does all the stuff further west pivot enough east to keep us going into the evening.  That is the big question!  

Meanwhile snow rate is really increasing...

Hum,  Steele Hill webcam vis just went way up.  Mix has to be so close...

All snow here. Big aggies.

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Up to 6.2”

Half paying attention...is this a developing ccb? Pope ftw?

Looks like its really close to the low level centers....the actual mid-level centers are still well NW. Maybe some sort of LL forcing in the 900mb range...like a low level CCB? I think the true ML ccb is still up in Quebec.

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Looks like its really close to the low level centers....the actual mid-level centers are still well NW. Maybe some sort of LL forcing in the 900mb range...like a low level CCB? I think the true ML ccb is still up in Quebec.

It looks like that classic PVA forced stuff that "Vs" out as you go north and latitude. 

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Agreed, but will want to watch this closely as the centers become better aligned as the MSLP over eastern CT slides NE and the secondary surface low deepens. I think the best rates of the day will be in that feature by far...

Expecting and looking forward to a wintry surprise even around here close to the coast...

Dendrite should really see it pile up, while I try to thread the needle...

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I’m outside with the birds and had just glanced at the radar loop. Huge snow growth right now. Snow globe type stuff, but I think the mix threat has slid east.

1 hour ago, Professional Lurker said:

Agreed!

I have tried several times to set something up for us here with a group rate. Let me know if we can settle on a date that works for most. Maybe I'll make a separate post about it soon..

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I’m up for it.   A quick ride west on Rte 2.  Been a few years

23.5F   (high for the day)   light to moderate snow    7.5".  1" new past hour.

Looks like the heaviest echoes now passing by.  My guess is we will end up with about a 9ish type storm which is about what the models predicted.  Really seemed like this storm worked out as planned...

Adding this to the snowfall from the other day sure looks like deep, deep winter....

Archived