Newest Member
    joxey
December 12 Winter storm observations

STILL N OF PIKE

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, WxBlue said:

North wind is pushing back the warm air surge about 30 miles to south of me. Latest HRRR doesn't have change over to sleet/ZR until at least 20z. We might overperform here.

If anything, 850/925 temp might go above freezing first before surface. GYX noted the risk of sleeting/freezing rain in their grid for us.

5 minutes ago, seanick said:

Heading up from NYC to Lincoln, NH for a photography trip tomorrow. How much can I expect on the ground? I see 4-8 inches is a good bet today into tonight but has there been previous snowfall already? Thanks In advanced.

6" on the ground before today's storm.  The area is up to about 4" new 11am with another 6" to come.  With additional snow showers/squalls overnight I would expect 15" to 18" on the ground for tomorrow...

10 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

If anything, 850/925 temp might go above freezing first before surface. GYX noted the risk of sleeting/freezing rain in their grid for us.

There is definitely some freezing rain ongoing in NE MA/far SE NH. Its been raining at work in Andover at 32-33F and vis has come up (looks like mix or rain) through exit 3 or 4 on the 93 traffic cams with 27-30F on the meso sites 

12 minutes ago, seanick said:

Heading up from NYC to Lincoln, NH for a photography trip tomorrow. How much can I expect on the ground? I see 4-8 inches is a good bet today into tonight but has there been previous snowfall already? Thanks In advanced.

If you get a chance, just to the north of Lincoln is Franconia Notch.  Some great places to shoot from there.

Meanwhile in Bow 2.75" down and still all snow.

1 minute ago, wx2fish said:

There is definitely some freezing rain ongoing in NE MA/far SE NH. Its been raining at work in Andover at 32-33F and vis has come up (looks like mix or rain) through exit 3 or 4 on the 93 traffic cams with 27-30F on the meso sites 

Where that H9 warm nose sneaks in around +1C the sfc temps should start to make that jump toward freezing as it latently warms. I’m still dropping dropping down to 21.9F so we’re starting to increase that sfc frontogenesis. 

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Always respect the CAD. 

5 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

There is definitely some freezing rain ongoing in NE MA/far SE NH. Its been raining at work in Andover at 32-33F and vis has come up (looks like mix or rain) through the exit 3 or 4 on the 93 traffic cams with 27-30F on the meso sites 

I came from CAD region in NC and this is probably the most impressive CAD signature I've been part of. A great learning experience. 

Just now, WxBlue said:

I came from CAD region in NC and this is probably the most impressive CAD signature I've been part of. A great learning experience. 

Always modeled poorly until the near term as well, Just go back the last 24-36 hours and you can see the push south on the models

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

Always modeled poorly until the near term as well, Just go back the last 24-36 hours and you can see the push south on the models

I figured sfc temp would be off by 5-7 degrees like it does in western NC, but not this big of a difference. We're running 10-15 degrees colder.

Archived