Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 12, 2017 - Late Bloomer Coastal

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Isles of Shoals just flipped to NE and dropped to 34.

He's in another world now. A once every few years event in NC becomes just another meh opportunity in NNE.

I LOL'd at the HRRR later in Maine. How's that warm front gonna accelerate towards Tamarack's fanny. I doubt it.

2 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Heh. We were all supposed to start cold and get snow up here weren’t we? I dunno maybe it’s just me but Mid 20’s imby in mid December at 7 a.m. isn’t exactly “arctic”. It’s certainly cold though, I’ve been on board with that...

Well it's not always immediate from the boundary. But 24 there now with the potential to drop a degree or two before slowly going up. 

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Well it's not always immediate from the boundary. But 22 there now with the potential to drop a degree or two before slowly going up. 

More than anything, I see the primary wave has trended weaker, so we’re looking at a 993ish, into southern VT rather than 989 or so we saw yesterday. Less low level WAD, earlier redevelopment. I def think that’s cause for winter optimism for those on the margin like dendrite in northfield. Concord is a really tough call still. Best lift also appears north of there. I still think Concord is a few inches to slop. 

3 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

More than anything, I see the primary wave has trended weaker, so we’re looking at a 993ish, into southern VT rather than 989 or so we saw yesterday. Less low level WAD, earlier redevelopment. I def think that’s cause for winter optimism for those on the margin like dendrite in northfield. Concord is a really tough call still. Best lift also appears north of there. I still think Concord is a few inches to slop. 

I think CON stays below 32. Maybe a brief post cold front bump before the real CAA moves in.

1 minute ago, SJonesWX said:

what are your thoughts on the CON area? i noticed it went from a WS watch, to a WWA, and then to a warning. they usually get some mixing in this type of setup. 4-5" with a couple hours of IP and rain?

The warning is mainly for the western part of the country where there is some higher terrain, so I wouldn't be expecting 6"

But I think they can pull a 4-5" before any changeover. I really don't expect much in the way of mix though. By the time mid level warmth gets in, the dry slot will be on the doorstep. Maybe a snow to freezing drizzle.

3 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

And as Ocean stated earlier, it’s the SE winds I’m worried about. Once the winds flip temps spike above freezing easily along the seas coast.

The key is getting that to happen. They're actually backing at the moment, and there are hints of at least a pressure weakness in the Gulf of Maine to help lock in that cold (44007 down to 27 now by the way). 

I'm not worried about mixing until I see those buoys go SE, and so far the coastal front is at least holding its place.

26 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

The warning is mainly for the western part of the country where there is some higher terrain, so I wouldn't be expecting 6"

But I think they can pull a 4-5" before any changeover. I really don't expect much in the way of mix though. By the time mid level warmth gets in, the dry slot will be on the doorstep. Maybe a snow to freezing drizzle.

a few inches of snow to freezing drizzle would be a nice net gain. thanks

Archived