Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 12, 2017 - Late Bloomer Coastal

Baroclinic Zone

1 minute ago, WxBlue said:

Yeah, I'm confused about GYX's forecast for Dover. Can't really see 3-5" happening here due to the reasoning above. I'd love to be surprised, however.

Brian referenced the 6Z RGEM, but they presumably had access to that before their discussion.  Is there optimism based on American models or just climo and pattern recognition?  Brian is really solid on pattern recognition for this area.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like a really interesting storm for me. I'm 40 miles north of Concord and 20 miles north of Brian. I'm kind of guessing at the upper level warmth just about gets too me and then get shut off. So will I stay all snow who knows but whatever happens I don't see any rain just some probably sleet or freezing rain at the end.

1 minute ago, wxeyeNH said:

Seems like a really interesting storm for me. I'm 40 miles north of Concord and 20 miles north of Brian. I'm kind of guessing at the upper level warmth just about gets too me and then get shut off. So will I stay all snow who knows but whatever happens I don't see any rain just some probably sleet or freezing rain at the end.

GYX likes 6-10 for you I think.  Even the warming runs you are probably mostly safe I would think.

17 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Maybe the 12z 3KM Nam will be righ t, That was a colder run then 06z and the folks on the fence could benefit from it.

Looking between 19z and 20z, it now pops secondary in a position that cools ORH back to MHT Several degrees and has a nice CCB Like feature associated

Most want to see THIS feature on the euro and  future high res runs

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Well, We need to see if the models are underplaying the CAD up here, I really would like to see a weaker primary coming across the lower lakes to get this south some before secondary development, This is where we could really use a couple tics south.............:)

GFS has trended warmer (and wetter) every run since yesterday morning, though they almost always miss on CAD.  06z run has rain all the way to FVE and 40B. 

3 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Quite a good discussion in here about how this ends up for CON north.  I assume if you are 2-5 MHT then you are probably 4-6 CON north?/

I haven't looked super closely but I could see 3-6'' in the CON area. I wouldn't be too confident on warning amounts south of the Lakes Region. 

Our biggest killer in this system is the northern stream caught up with the lead shortwave...if it stayed a bit more spaced, then we'd have better secondary development.

I still think the low levels will probably CAD more than models have. But our shot at a couple inches of snow in SNE outside of far NW area is diminishing because the best forcing is north while we are still plenty cold enough. Too bad because a couple inches would prevent much melting of the snowfall from this weekend.

11 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but not much of a cold air drain on this one. Basically just overrunning until we mix out.  I"ll be surprised if anyone sees much ice at all. 

It is in situ CAD. We start with cold air and it take a while to erode....we aren't getting fresh cold from the north during the event....if we were, it would be all snow.

On 12/10/2017 at 0:15 AM, CoastalWx said:

That's not how it works though. I know the NWS has COCORAHs rules too...but some of those are head scratchers when it comes to melting and ptype. 

Nice looking in-situ CAD tomorrow morning. Models likely way too fast scouring out cold in the valley. 

hires_uv10m_dir_boston_28.png

Archived