SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 12, 2017 - Late Bloomer Coastal

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question for you guys on ratios up here.  Snowfall maps are based on 10:1 ratio.  Like people have been pointing out CAD might over perform up here in inland C NH.  Snow starts early in the day and we now have a snowpack.  It would seem to me that at least at my higher elevation that the snow is going to have much better ratios than 10:1.   People ask me "how much are we going to get"?.  Even if I take the QPF verbatim on the models wouldn't you expect higher ratios in a situation like this, up here?

2 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Question for you guys on ratios up here.  Snowfall maps are based on 10:1 ratio.  Like people have been pointing out CAD might over perform up here in inland C NH.  Snow starts early in the day and we now have a snowpack.  It would seem to me that at least at my higher elevation that the snow is going to have much better ratios than 10:1.   People ask me "how much are we going to get"?.  Even if I take the QPF verbatim on the models wouldn't you expect higher ratios in a situation like this, up here?

Ratios are mostly about lift and mid level temps. I haven't looked at cross sections up there but if you get good lift in the snow growth region then yeah, you could end up with 15 to 1 ratios or better. 

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Hes not doing well preparing for a rainer

I don’t know if you’re joking or not understanding the setup or what . Will told you earlier worst case it’s snow ice to drizzle to Dryslot and 30’s for a few hours pre cold front. No one is wiping out snowpack. Not even BOS

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Euro has a nice little sfc reflection trying to squeeze underneath. Still best lift is North but it prob has a 2-3" thump for interior in the 495 region westward. 

yeah .. even just looking at the coarseness of the freebies you get an impression of some sort shenanigans like that...

Folks should like the GGEM... That's ...like a pubic hair away from being a 4-6 hour lolly pop.  

Then, it has more of a proper NJ Model spin up doing an ACY to ACK job next Friday.

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I don’t know if you’re joking or not understanding the setup or what . Will told you earlier worst case it’s snow ice to drizzle to Dryslot and 30’s for a few hours pre cold front. No one is wiping out snowpack. Not even BOS

Unreadable

Also Im Training some ladies hold on

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

Just read there AFD, There thinking a coder air mass will be in place except immediate coast.

It's pretty cold Tuesday morning. I'm always skeptical of how fast models try erode it in the interior...and the further north you go, the harder. Seen it a million times where models have temps of like 22F at 12z and try to turn ORH to 40F by 18z when the isobars have a CAD signal...you can toss those numbers in the trash heap when that happens...on the coast? Sure. But not interior. Still need to figure out the surface reflection though because it makes a difference.  

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's pretty cold Tuesday morning. I'm always skeptical of how fast models try erode it in the interior...and the further north you go, the harder. Seen it a million times where models have temps of like 22F at 12z and try to turn ORH to 40F by 18z when the isobars have a CAD signal...you can toss those numbers in the trash heap when that happens...on the coast? Sure. But not interior. Still need to figure out the surface reflection though because it makes a difference.  

That’s gonna be a massive CF near 95 up there. Classic. Probably 20 degree difference on either side.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah, Models seem to underestimate the CAD until we get closer in and then start adjusting inside 36 hrs or so.

It will be an advisory level event here but no complaints. It will be nice to see some on the Colchester Picnic Tables at St. Mikes  ;). I didn't look and see if it would favor blocked upslope (which is what pushed us over the top for Pi Day).

Archived