Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 12, 2017 - Late Bloomer Coastal

Baroclinic Zone

Fire it up.....!

Models coming into agreement on our next storm potential.  S/W coming out of Canada looks to spawn a coastal somewhere in the area.  Details still to be ironed out with northern areas favored right now for the highest totals but western areas will see snow prior to coastal development.

If we can get this S/W to dig further S and develop sooner it would bring southern areas into the game as well.

Here are the GFS and Euro 500mb images valid for same timeframe.  You'll see the Euro is a bit further S&E with the s/w coming out of Canada.

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2017120912_75_35_457.thumb.png.86aa7f516078791a31d9b239c6ffa208.png

us_model-en-087-0_modusa_2017120918_69_35_457.thumb.png.4a6dd3b5ba3dbd14533034b949be9d63.png

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It needs work ... 

"Late" is probably the good adjective for that cluster f ...  The GFS has really been hammering this somewhat unusual DTX-BUF-PWM sort of trajectory with that thing, which cuts it right through the nascent polar air that's left in the wake of our present exiting system.  

thing is, that would normally cause one pause, but the with the flow so compressed already, the governing mechanics don't really get 'under' the 40th parallel enough to where they can ignite more of a NJ Model low.. 

Which can still happen.  This compression/velocity thing isn't an absolute stoppage... if those wave dynamics end up a little stronger, it may wend it's way more along a mid Indy- to NYC sort of translation ...which would put the ACY to ACK rapid deepener more plausible.   Yeah, it could correct that way...

All models are having difficulties in this high velocity regime.  Hence the headaches with the present thing.  ALB is getting a nice busty band ... no clue.  Or less anywho... And I suspect we have to be touch and go in the models over the next few runs.   As of 18z's initialization, the governing mechanics are two part, 1 ... over the GOA, and 2 ... diving over the polar toward the NW Territories. Those two have to be a ... correctly sampled before b ... they can even begin to intermingle correctly down stream in the models.

I don't care what the assimilators say/argue, that's prone to morphology in about two cycles from now.... estimating -

John, I agree, I believe the possibility still exists enough for fortune to turn into our side and favor SNE with snowfall prior to heading into ME.  Right now the dynamics are shoved too far northwest in the form of a dynamic 2-4"/3-6" widespread clipper system impacting the Midwest and Great Lakes, as well as Western NY with heavy initial system snows and then the backside LE snows.  I believe the dynamics will dig more southeastward than modeled right now, and the 18z NAM showed this happening, actually showed a large band or rain/snow moving through SNE initially with the development of the surface low right over Cape Cod which would favor Rain vs snow in the SE part of MA and RI, however if development were to happen sooner and further off shore, then the dynamics can take advantage of the warm ocean south of ACK, and really explode the nor'easter into a blizzard perhaps.  Still about two more cycles until sampling can take place for our shortwave in question.  I believe like today's coastal storm and arctic shortwave, this storm system for the 12th should wait until the arctic shortwave that phases into the pacific shortwave and overall H5 trough and Upper level low, we could see correction southeast and faster bombogenesis

7 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

It looks worse than 18z. It’s warm for just about everyone in SNE... next

4 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

Still better than 06z and 12z runs. I wouldn't write this off if I were you.

I think past 24 hours have trended better on this one.  Looked to stay white not wet out here. 

1 minute ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Do you think its trending towards an earlier developer and perhaps won't flood the coast with warmth?

The earlier it redevelops, then the better further southeast....but I highly doubt it does it early enough to save all the way out past HYA where you are. It would take a drastic trend this close to the event.

I'd look to events beyond this one for snow there.

7 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

You need to move!! Did you get any snow today?

he has had 2 legit 3 foot events since 2005 plus so many other footers and cape specials, he has seen single event totals and authentic blizzard conditions we will never see

so he takes a few early season events on the chin

trust me this winter he will be S++ while we are squinting under a streetlight looking for a flake of pixie dust

Archived