• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Unforecasted Snow Dec 1993

the_other_guy

This storm has me thinking about an unforecasted first snow event in Dec 1993 that happened mid month.

We left the city around noon to snow flakes for a ride up to Putnam. By the time we returned at night, shovels were out and we had around 3 inches in the city.

It was a notable event because up north they had nothing. There was a strong cutoff in lower westchester.

Does anyone else have the details of this unexpected xmas gift in 1993 right around this date?

That winter went on to be our first “brutal” winter in my cognitive lifetime...much of which involved a brutal icestorm in early January. Back then NYC schools didnt close...and we had plenty of days with city busses stuck in the snow!

It was exactly this date, roughly speaking.  It was a Saturday night about the second week of December on the day friends of ours have their annual Christmas Party.  They were in SE Nassau in the bullseye and got close to 6".  10 miles east where I lived at the time there was about 1.5".  I also recall about 3" in the city delighting the RC tree peepers.

Going to that same party again tonight.  Still going after all these years but we ain't babies any more.  They seem to get snow 80% of the time for this party.  Must be be some Christmas magic.

12/11/1993:

Bridgehampton 1.0
Islip LI Macarthur AP 0.8
Mineola 2.1
New York JFK Intl AP           3.3
New York La Guardia AP  5.0
NY City Central Park             2.9
Patchogue 2 N                  1.5
Riverhead Research Farm 2.0

2 hours ago, jfklganyc said:

This storm has me thinking about an unforecasted first snow event in Dec 1993 that happened mid month.

We left the city around noon to snow flakes for a ride up to Putnam. By the time we returned at night, shovels were out and we had around 3 inches in the city.

It was a notable event because up north they had nothing. There was a strong cutoff in lower westchester.

Does anyone else have the details of this unexpected xmas gift in 1993 right around this date?

That winter went on to be our first “brutal” winter in my cognitive lifetime...much of which involved a brutal icestorm in early January. Back then NYC schools didnt close...and we had plenty of days with city busses stuck in the snow!

The models actually correctly forecast that event 3-4 days out then more or less lost it.  It was the other way we can get rain to snow behind a departing low pressure area or front other than the classic closed off low or wave riding behind the front and it doesn’t happen often.  It will usually feature a very deep negative titled upper trof or low like shown in the link below and a surface low way east of the area off MA.  12/24/2010 was a somewhat similar event but was limited in area.  I think some areas of Suffolk saw 4 inches that night unexpected.  April 2000 I think had a setup like this too 

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/1993/us1211.php#picture

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/2010/us1214.php#picture

16 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The models actually correctly forecast that event 3-4 days out then more or less lost it.  It was the other way we can get rain to snow behind a departing low pressure area or front other than the classic closed off low or wave riding behind the front and it doesn’t happen often.  It will usually feature a very deep negative titled upper trof or low like shown in the link below and a surface low way east of the area off MA.  12/24/2010 was a somewhat similar event but was limited in area.  I think some areas of Suffolk saw 4 inches that night unexpected.  April 2000 I think had a setup like this too 

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/1993/us1211.php#picture

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/2010/us1214.php#picture

Dec. 15th 1968 NYC got a similar storm...I'm not sure if it was the same set up but it was a storm that got us on the back side...

I have no idea of the date but it was Dec in the late 80s or early 90s.  The forecast was for drizzle ending by noon with the chance of a flurry later in the day.  I had a basketball game that day and it was lightly raining when I went inside.  I came out and it was much colder and was snowing moderately.  We went on to get at least 6" of snow which was not in the forecast at all.   Long Island jackpotted the event. Anyone have any idea of the date? 

4 minutes ago, Rjay said:

I have no idea of the date but it was Dec in the late 80s or early 90s.  The forecast was for drizzle ending by noon with the chance of a flurry later in the day.  I had a basketball game that day and it was lightly raining when I went inside.  I came out and it was much colder and was snowing moderately.  We went on to get at least 6" of snow which was not in the forecast at all.   Long Island jackpotted the event. Anyone have any idea of the date? 

maybe it was the year before when there was a major storm ending as snow?...Brooklyn got an inch before it ended...

36 minutes ago, Rjay said:

You? Basketball? lolz

12 hours ago, Rjay said:

That had to be 12/11/93.  It was a Saturday.  I don't recall any other December day where that happened.

14 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

That had to be 12/11/93.  It was a Saturday.  I don't recall any other December day where that happened.

It can't be.  Ed posted the snow totals. I'm 100% positive about the amounts.  I know it was near Christmas time bc I remember the tree still being up.  I guess it's possible it was in early January though.  

On 12/9/2017 at 1:24 PM, NorthShoreWx said:

It was exactly this date, roughly speaking.  It was a Saturday night about the second week of December on the day friends of ours have their annual Christmas Party.  They were in SE Nassau in the bullseye and got close to 6".  10 miles east where I lived at the time there was about 1.5".  I also recall about 3" in the city delighting the RC tree peepers.

Going to that same party again tonight.  Still going after all these years but we ain't babies any more.  They seem to get snow 80% of the time for this party.  Must be be some Christmas magic.

12/11/1993:

Bridgehampton 1.0
Islip LI Macarthur AP 0.8
Mineola 2.1
New York JFK Intl AP           3.3
New York La Guardia AP  5.0
NY City Central Park             2.9
Patchogue 2 N                  1.5
Riverhead Research Farm 2.0

Thanks this matches my memory of a 4" snowfall!  We had another 4-5" later in the month right after the solstice on a coastal.

On 12/9/2017 at 3:12 PM, Rjay said:

That was the same storm I talked about earlier it stalled SE of the Hamptons and we had a 36 hr snowfall.  But I thought it happened in February not December?  It was in 1991 I believe.

3 minutes ago, Paragon said:

That was the same storm I talked about earlier it stalled SE of the Hamptons and we had a 36 hr snowfall.  But I thought it happened in February not December?  It was in 1991 I believe.

The one I'm talking about was an 8-12 hour snowfall. 

3 minutes ago, Rjay said:

The one I'm talking about was an 8-12 hour snowfall. 

It could be I'm confusing two different storms.

There was another one that had similar amounts to that one, both jackpotted Long Island, the other one occurred on a weekend (either Saturday or Sunday) and was also a wave along a stalled front.  Snow began falling early in the morning, fell most of the day (my favorite kind) and ended just before sunset and then the skies cleared for a beautiful sunset and amazingly clear and very starry skies.  Does that sound about right?  One thing that was distinctive about this one was that skies cleared from north to south.  This was also an early 90s event.

2 hours ago, Paragon said:

It could be I'm confusing two different storms.

There was another one that had similar amounts to that one, both jackpotted Long Island, the other one occurred on a weekend (either Saturday or Sunday) and was also a wave along a stalled front.  Snow began falling early in the morning, fell most of the day (my favorite kind) and ended just before sunset and then the skies cleared for a beautiful sunset and amazingly clear and very starry skies.  Does that sound about right?  One thing that was distinctive about this one was that skies cleared from north to south.  This was also an early 90s event.

That sounds like 2/6/93 which was a Saturday event.  It was an arctic front that had a weak low form on it as it crossed and 4-5 inches fell.  The forecast I think was only for 1-2  

22 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

That sounds like 2/6/93 which was a Saturday event.  It was an arctic front that had a weak low form on it as it crossed and 4-5 inches fell.  The forecast I think was only for 1-2  

Yes that's the one!

I think you figured out the unpredicted 36 hour event for me too, that one jackpotted JFK didn't it?  I think you said it was in 1991.

31 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

There was a storm in late February 1991 that may have been it.  I think even Central Park did well 

Wish I could find a map for that one.  The snow was in a thin stripe from Newark to the Hamptons.  Nothing in Boston and nothing in Philly.  4-8 inches in the region that got hit.  Would have been a lot more but most of the snow that fell during the day did not stick (33/34 degrees).  Once the sun set it stuck to everything.

6 hours ago, Paragon said:

Wish I could find a map for that one.  The snow was in a thin stripe from Newark to the Hamptons.  Nothing in Boston and nothing in Philly.  4-8 inches in the region that got hit.  Would have been a lot more but most of the snow that fell during the day did not stick (33/34 degrees).  Once the sun set it stuck to everything.

I have a video of that storm...

21 hours ago, uncle W said:

I have a video of that storm...

Thanks how much snow was that!  What was the set up for that storm?  I think only one local met (Bob Harris / WPIX) predicted it.  One of our longest snowstorms of the 90s (pre Jan 1996) I think?

Archived