Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 9th 2017 Crusha Obs

Rjay

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

You were probably under that crazy band that was cranking out that way for several hours earlier.  I was under a band this morning that got us off to a good start.  Are you up on that mountain just south of town?

I live about 3 miles due east of center town. Yeah I was under that crazy band and it certainly produced!

2 minutes ago, canderson said:

Any reports from 287 between the Parkeay and 78? Leaving Manhattan to Iselin then driving back to Harrisburg. 

All slush in midtown has melted and it’s flurries only. 

If you are going back to Harrisburg I would not recommend that you do it tonight.  Roads are bad out this way.  78 would be a tough ride for you between Easton and Hamburg.

1 minute ago, Tatamy said:

Models had you down for 1 inch with this event - what a fail...

The best (or worst) part was how Mount Holly had me at 1-3 inches with this event and not even a Winter Weather Advisory until after the 12:00 update. I surpassed Winter Storm Warning criteria, albeit because of Meso banding. Sorry to budge into the NYC thread, but just wanted to show how much of an over achiever this was for some!

Just now, Newman said:

The best (or worst) part was how Mount Holly had me at 1-3 inches with this event and not even a Winter Weather Advisory until after the 12:00 update. I surpassed Winter Storm Warning criteria, albeit because of Meso banding. Sorry to budge into the NYC thread, but just wanted to show how much of an over achiever this was for some!

it was a historic storm for the majority of the people it affected.

1 minute ago, Newman said:

From south texas, louisiana, mississippi, florida all the way up the east coast to maine. Truly incredible and December 9th no less!

Thats what is really crazy.  Most of GA and AL's snow events occur in a small window from 1/15-2/10 and they have a second peak 3/1-3/15.  December is rare

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Good intensity now, my street is finally getting slushy. 

Nice.  Mine has been covered for a couple of hours.   Most of the day snow fall rate equaled my snow melt rate.  It's a shame.  Still looks beautiful outside.  I have an outside shot at 4". 

3 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Nice.  Mine has been covered for a couple of hours.   Most of the day snow fall rate equaled my snow melt rate.  It's a shame.  Still looks beautiful outside.  I have an outside shot at 4". 

During the day this felt like an early springtime snowfall for us, it really got down to business after 4 PM

8 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Picked up around 3 so far here in SW Suffolk. The side roads had a slight slushy coating while the main roads were just wet. All the Christmas lights and displays look like something out of a postcard with the snow.

and the trees are bending over with all the weight of the snow on them lol

Just now, jm1220 said:

It’ll be nice to drive around town tomorrow with how clingy the snow is to everything. Wet snow that clings to the trees is awesome. 

Going to take some pics tonight or wait for tomorrow?

I realized light pollution is good for one thing and one thing only- watching it snow at night :)

I've been sitting under this light band for the last few hours and it just keeps coming down, sometimes lightly but more often it's moderate. Temp has been steady at 28*, wind is light from the N/NW and I'm betting the roads are pretty terrible because they were completely covered by 2pm then the temp dropped. Eyeballing 5" on most surfaces but it has to be higher on the cars and elevated surfaces because those were at 5" a few hours ago.

Archived