SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 9th 2017 Crusha Obs

Rjay

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just finished shoveling, wet and slushy underneath and fluffy on top. Paved areas are about 3", grass is close to 4 and elevated surfaces and the cars are closer to 5". Nice first storm. Now if the ground can cool off some more before the next one we'll be in good shape, local NY Mesonet stations have surface soil temps in the high 30's. 

1 minute ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Amazing no guidance, even short terms ever caught the deform bands inland...

I'm not even paying attention to the HRRR anymore because it keeps initializing with that band well inland and kills it an hour later each run. This was definitely a win for inland areas that had much less QPF than I did, yet I have half or less the snow so far. 

Going to need a miracle to occur in order to finish this with more than 1" here. Very light snow all day with a period of maybe 30 min when it was moderate. That scenario was never going to get it done. Then some mixing occurred, probably since temps were able to tick up due to lack of precip/lift. So now, that 1" is more like 0.5"

So be it, you win some and you lose some. Congrats to the overperforming areas. :)

Going to need a miracle to occur in order to finish this with more than 1" here. Very light snow all day with a period of maybe 30 min when it was moderate. That scenario was never going to get it done. Then some mixing occurred, probably since temps were able to tick up due to lack of precip/lift. So now, that 1" is more like 0.5"

So be it, you win some and you lose some. Congrats to the overperforming areas. 

I’m glad you made this point. Let’s always enjoy when we get a nice event. I’m happy out here at MMU, since we had a general 3-4”. The kids had fun, and I wasn’t exhausted after shoveling.

3 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

Light snow still falling here, look like I picked up around 3.0" so far.

I think we may have done a little better than that, RU in metuchen measured 4.75, and that sounds about right. My wife's niece just arrived from Colombia, she's a doctor. Last time she came up was a couple days before the Boxing Day Blizzard. She's good luck!

Archived