Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 9th 2017 Crusha Obs

Rjay

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just came in from a walk about 20 minutes ago - it's a really beautiful snowfall, as it's wet, but not windy, so the generally moderately falling snow is sticking to the trees and shrubs perfectly. In the past hour we went from 1/2" of snow to 1.5" of snow and it's covering all paved surfaces, with even county/state roads in Metuchen (531/27) getting slushy, as temps are also down to around 30F. I'm guessing the major highways are still ok, but if this intensity keeps up past about 3 pm, we'll see accumulation even on major highways.

At this point, looking at the short range models and the radar, I'm certain we're going to reach the low end of the general NWS 3-6" forecast here and 5-6" isn't out of the question. In my opinion, places to the west of the Delaware River, south of Trenton, and in NW NJ (Sussex/Warren) and the Lehigh Valley/Poconos might have a tough time reaching 3", while places within 20 miles of the Parkway, south of about Holmdel, in NJ, are most likely to get the 5-6" amounts (except right at the coast); I'm assuming the same for LI being most likely part of NYC metro to get 5-6". 

8 minutes ago, RU848789 said:
Just came in from a walk about 20 minutes ago - it's a really beautiful snowfall, as it's wet, but not windy, so the generally moderately falling snow is sticking to the trees and shrubs perfectly. In the past hour we went from 1/2" of snow to 1.5" of snow and it's covering all paved surfaces, with even county/state roads in Metuchen (531/27) getting slushy, as temps are also down to around 30F. I'm guessing the major highways are still ok, but if this intensity keeps up past about 3 pm, we'll see accumulation even on major highways.

At this point, looking at the short range models and the radar, I'm certain we're going to reach the low end of the general NWS 3-6" forecast here and 5-6" isn't out of the question. In my opinion, places to the west of the Delaware River, south of Trenton, and in NW NJ (Sussex/Warren) and the Lehigh Valley/Poconos might have a tough time reaching 3", while places within 20 miles of the Parkway, south of about Holmdel, in NJ, are most likely to get the 5-6" amounts (except right at the coast); I'm assuming the same for LI being most likely part of NYC metro to get 5-6". 

Not sure if you have been watching radar trends however there has been nice banding across eastern PA and NW NJ with this event.  I am in the Lehigh Valley and have already passed 2".  I think we will be good for 3 - 4" out this way.  

1 minute ago, Tatamy said:

Not sure if you have been watching radar trends however there has been nice banding across eastern PA and NW NJ with this event.  I am in the Lehigh Valley and have already passed 2".  I think we will be good for 3 - 4" out this way.  

No I hadn't looked that at obs, so didn't realize you guys were already at 2" - was mostly looking at the HRRR - yeah, with that band 3" looks like a lock for much of NE PA.  We're at 2" now, also - coming down at about 3/4" per hour the last 2 hours.  

5 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

New City checking in again,,,trees, grass ,deck, and cars are white but NOT STICKING to road ways yet. I am North and West about 25 miles from NYC 

Sticking to all roadways in Whitestone, Queens. Give it a little time.

Archived