Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 9, 2017 - Storm Observations/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

1 minute ago, CT Rain said:

Yeah I was not optimistic this morning lol

SE CT really got screwed too. Models suck figuring out banding... even the higher res stuff really struggled. 

Dr Harts banding site is a great way to see the bands. I knew I was gonna slot for a time. Also Nina climo respect the SE Ridge, wagons NW

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Dr Harts banding site is a great way to see the bands. I knew I was gonna slot for a time. Also Nina climo respect the SE Ridge, wagons NW

TBH, there wasn't a ton of frontogenesis on the back side. It's not like we had a ripping H7 low with tons of deformation. 

That said... there was definitely good forcing west of where the models had it... plus the snow growth managed to stay good (better than modeled). 

Just now, CT Rain said:

TBH, there wasn't a ton of frontogenesis on the back side. It's not like we had a ripping H7 low with tons of deformation. 

That said... there was definitely good forcing west of where the models had it... plus the snow growth managed to stay good (better than modeled). 

There is always that look that models have..whether it be the precip shield or the RH look from H7-H5. Even though the western edge is lighter...sometimes that edge is an elongated crescent compared to the stuff east of it. I was surprised that some of the soundings were meh in the DGZ, but the area that got hit..(you) definitely had the best lift near the DGZ so there you go. 

And BTW, Noyes and Pete B fail. That is all.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

There is always that look that models have..whether it be the precip shield or the RH look from H7-H5. Even though the western edge is lighter...sometimes that edge is an elongated crescent compared to the stuff east of it. I was surprised that some of the soundings were meh in the DGZ, but the area that got hit..(you) definitely had the best lift near the DGZ so there you go. 

Yeah some of these storms that have a tight western end (like h85/h7 low passing off ACK) normally are captured well by models. These more open waves are different... given modest lift and good RH that tickled DGZ at times... good sign that things will go west a bit.

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

That's funny, I kind of guessed it was a Stone!   I work at People's Pint Brewery in Greenfield.   (Sales and distribution manager) 

First ESB I ever had was from Peoples Pint.    I'm part of the small contingency of owners for Widowmaker in Braintree.  4 months open.

Also  4.1 inches snow

The Groton ASOS (KGON) reported a whopping 0.03" of liquid from this storm. Obviously screwed up.

Westerly (KWST) which seems more legit at 0.30" of liquid which is less the half of what was modeled by vritually everything. Dry slots in between mesoscale bands suck. Not sure how I would have gotten that one right for SE CT where some places only have about 2" of new snow. 

13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it def extends a bit on each side...some spots in CT broke 7" too...that same trajectory toward HFD.

Ya nice surprise to get in on the goods this early.....I wasn’t too confident.....had to drive to Manchester CT for a Nutcracker performance right around prime time for that 84 banding.....it wasn’t the high end prolific stuff we’ve seen a couple times before - like Feb 14? - but it made for an interesting trip.....nice change from the past few December’s.....nice start.....let’s get this baby wire to wire.....looking to break snowpack record of 30” since we moved in to the house 2005.....need to keep it going

16 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Decided in my rehab to shovel myself.  Meaty snow!  While I was out there in come the fatties again for another 0.25.  What a brilliantly beautiful landscape.

As mentioned-Long live winter!

It’s nice that it’s so early bro....nice change for recent Decembers....just gotta navigate the grinch 

17 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Looks like BOS finishes with close to 6. 5.8 as of midnight.

Looks like Harvey was on the money.  Just about half a foot for Boston.  Who knows mybe with is residual snow this early morning you can squeez out 0.2 til 4AM and call it 6" even.  Anyways great storm for our neck of the woods to start off this winter.:)

Archived