Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Dec 8/9 Obs and discussion (Showme's) Storm

showmethesnow

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Inside a building right now in DC, which sort of sucks cause I cant enjoy the final 2 hours of the storm in the comfort of my home. Last I checked snow was ripping here. Any reports from McLean/Fairfax?

We're just North of Vienna and 6 miles due west of downtown McLean as a crow flies.  Have right at 3.5" and about 1.5 of that on the asphalt.  That's compacted over the course of the entire event.  So in reality it's closer to 4" if I'd measured the right way by clearing the board periodically.

Had -sn to sn the day with some occasional surges of moderate sn, but not what I'd call "heavy" snow.  Nice way to start the 17/18 season...

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Clarksburg is like Mt Washington. 

It really is. The Clarksburg/Damascus area really does get consistently the best snows in the area if you are considering the DC area the domain. 

And I chose far NW Vermont as my second place, which has the lowest annual snowfall totals in the state. By far. It will be weird to be on the outside looking in for a change. 

We're just North of Vienna and 6 miles due west of downtown McLean as a crow flies.  Have right at 3.5" and about 1.5 of that on the asphalt.  That's compacted over the course of the entire event.  So in reality it's closer to 4" if I'd measured the right way by clearing the board periodically.

Had -sn to sn the day with some occasional surges of moderate sn, but not what I'd call "heavy" snow.  Nice way to start the 17/18 season...

Thanks! I'm not getting home until midnight, which means the snow will probably be even more compact and my total will be seriously under. Might use the NWS total closest to me, since that's most likely more accurate. Also, does anyone know what the final total for DCA/Dulles was?

7 minutes ago, Kleimax said:

same here. 3.8 almost 4

M4.0" in Reisterstown and submitted to LWX.  M3.5" at Public Safety HQ from a snow weenie co-worker.  M4.5" from another snow weenie friend as Fire Station 29 in Germantown.  Amazing to see how Thurmont reported only 1.5" but just east we're seeing 6" measurements.

Such a beautiful afternoon/evening. Went to the local park and took a nice walk as it was snowing. Went out to see a Local Boat Parade at 6 with mod to heavy snow falling. So awesome to see all the lighted boats with the snow falling. 

Snow Total 2.75

Temp 30.7

Gonna get icy out there tonight. Roads are really wet. 

My 3.5" today is probably the biggest first half of Dec event since I bought this house in 03. The 2013 event was 2.5" and I don't think I topped 3.5" in 2009. 

I was living in Germantown in 02. I don't remember the totals for the early Dec event but I think it was bigger than 3.5". I was at work in Mt airy for the 09 event. My office got close to 6" iirc

My 3.5" today is probably the biggest first half of Dec event since I bought this house in 03. The 2013 event was 2.5" and I don't think I topped 3.5" in 2009. 

I was living in Germantown in 02. I don't remember the totals for the early Dec event but I think it was bigger than 3.5". I was at work in Mt airy for the 09 event. My office got close to 6" iirc

You almost definitely got more in the 12/5/02 event and probably the 12/5/03 as well. Maybe 12/14/03 too. Perhaps on 12/5/05 and 12/9/05 and 12/5/07. 12/8 and 12/10 2013? Not to say this wasn’t significant. Could be #1. But is a testament that you live in a pretty good spot.

Archived