• Welcome to American Weather

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

showmethesnow

Dec 8/9 Obs and discussion (Showme's) Storm

5 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Feels good to walk out on the deck bare chested in 26F with snow falling on your pecs.    Mappy should try it.

Who says I haven’t?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

If this band stays much longer, I'm going to break 4" in this storm easy.

Sidewalks are white now :D

34dbz right over my house.

image.png?width=920&height=879

You and @bobchill probably got about 45min - an hour...band isn't moving east too fast.  Laytonsville and Damascus probably will push 4.5"

6 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Feels good to walk out on the deck bare chested in 26F with snow falling on your pecs.    Mappy should try it.

1 minute ago, mappy said:

Who says I haven’t?

giphy.gif

Snow brings out the primal in us all. 

• Like 2

Folks, last year was hell. We had to claw for every snowflake we got and it wasn't a lot. Half our snow was actually 

The year before had the blizzard, but misery bookended it. 

The year before, it sucked until we got on an epic heater. 

I don't know about you, but measurable snow on 12/9, my first Dec snow since being here is wonderful. 72 hours ago this was a pipe dream. 

Go outside, do a 4 mile jebwalk, and just enjoy what it is to be alive and healthy and happy. 

c66g3Ip.jpg

w1iU6jv.jpg

qIrKIW8.jpg

htw6Fvf.jpg

• Like 7

Going out with a bang. Best rates and dendrites to cap it all off. Mod snow but not heavy. I don't anyone got into true +sn/quarter mile vis but this ending is a treat. 

Storm should end up meeting or exceeding realistic expectations for most. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Folks, last year was hell. We had to claw for every snowflake we got and it wasn't a lot. Half our snow was actually 

The year before had the blizzard, but misery bookended it. 

The year before, it sucked until we got on an epic heater. 

I don't know about you, but measurable snow on 12/9, my first Dec snow since being here is wonderful. 72 hours ago this was a pipe dream. 

Go outside, do a 4 mile jebwalk, and just enjoy what it is to be alive and healthy and happy. 

I can't believe it's been this long since we had a real December snow. I think the last time was Dec 2013, and even then not everyone got much. Same with late December 2012 (I think?). Before that you'd have to go all the way back to December 2009.

Just now, snjókoma said:

What was that storm in 2015 where the N/W suburbs got into a megaband for 4 hours and got like 10" before it scooted east? February 26th? The current radar reminds me of that.

Pretty sure like Feb 21-22nd. Not sure if we're talking about the same storm, but CAD along with heavy banding brought about 6-10" of snow for us and points East before turning to ice/freezing rain

31 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Was there ever any doubt that the northerners would cash in? I saw a PSU post this morning saying he thought they were in trouble :lol: 

Congrats everyone

I can't break character. It's been working.  Measured 4" on my deck before leaving for Westminster to do some holiday shopping 15 mins ago. Might make a run at 5 if this last band holds together.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

I can't break character. It's been working.  Measured 4" on my deck before leaving for Westminster to do some holiday shopping 15 mins ago. Might make a run at 5 if this last band holds together.  

Hey brother, if it works... :lol: 

Congrats. Really feels great out here. Early December powder where I'm not worried about temps. Come on. 

8 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

You and @bobchill probably got about 45min - an hour...band isn't moving east too fast.  Laytonsville and Damascus probably will push 4.5"

I just measured a little over 4” so 4.5” seems doable.

• Like 1

Just now, Amped said:

Every time that deathband looks like it's about to end in westminster, it backbuilds.

Yea that last band is backbuilding a bit through Frederick City towards Harper's Ferry.  

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Bigger flakes in last 10mins.

This is the best period of the whole event. Picked up a half inch in 30-45 mins and comin down good. Definitely higher ratio stuff than anything all day. 

• Like 6

Just now, Bob Chill said:

This is the best period of the whole event. Picked up a half inch in 30-45 mins and comin down good. Definitely higher ratio stuff than anything all day. 

Send it east when you’re done with it my friend!

• Like 1

Later tonight comes the really fun part for those with multiple inches of snow, its going to blow around, blowin' off of roofs, it'll have the feel of being in Nebraska in Jan during an epic blizzard!

• Like 2