Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Dec 8/9 Obs and discussion (Showme's) Storm

showmethesnow

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

26 and partly cloudy here on the shore of Deep Creek Lake.   Not a snow flake so far today, which is what was forecast. Some ice now forming in the lake coves.  We should pick up a little later this evening into tomorrow morning with passing shortwave.  Not expecting more than 2".

Congrats to all in the "low country" who picked up a nice snowfall today! Hopefully, you'll be able to keep some on the ground for more than a day or two.

Our seasonal total is now at 5.5" (3.5" on Oct 29, 1.5" on Nov 19, and 0.5" on Dec 7).  This is about 50% of our normal for season through Dec 9.  Fortunately it's cold enough that The Wisp has been making snow the past few days. They are planning to open next weekend.

15 minutes ago, mattie g said:

You serious? I’ll be lucky to see 2.5” when all is said and done. I’ll rely on local spotters to verify.

I've done well since 2pm when i got home from the mini hike. Picked up 1.5" since then and had just under 2 when I got home. This late afternoon stuff has been high ratio. At least 10:1

Just now, Eskimo Joe said:

Too bad we can't continue this through 8pm or so...would've been near warning criteria snowfall for some.  

I was surprised by the afternoon accumulation.  Had maybe 2" at noon, most of it fell between 1-4pm.  High ratio light fluffy stuff, not coming down heavy but big flakes.

Wasn't expecting much this far west...  guess climo wins again.

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Darn you need to move 10 miles south... seems Hanover always gets screwed compared to here and it's so close. 5 min drive up 30 from me. 

Used to it by now. Shadowing effect from almost all directions. Didn't help that I was riding the western edge of the precip most of the day where the rates were lower as well.

Still, I am happy. My expectations were low going into this irregardless of the great runs we were seeing yesterday. Figured if I could score an inch or two this early in the season it was a win.

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I've done well since 2pm when i got home from the mini hike. Picked up 1.5" since then and had just under 2 when I got home. This late afternoon stuff has been high ratio. At least 10:1

I just edited that post - should have been 1.5” instead of 2.5”. Rates just never really picked up here until right now, and even that has been relatively light.

We take what we can. But I can say with certainty I never saw a period of moderate snow. Maybe a minute or two, and that's generous. It was basically light snow that varied from slow accumulating to non accumulating. Just one of those bad breaks we see in marginal events. 

But I'm not complaining. I have1.7 on the board for December!!! 

Archived