joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 8/9 Obs and discussion (Showme's) Storm

showmethesnow

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to the HRRR, my window for accumulating snow is from 1 this afternoon  to 6 or 7 this evening.  Gald to see some like Mappy are cashinng, I had about 15 minutes of snow that was hard enough to whiten the car top towards the beginning of the event but then it almost stopped and my white disappeared.  Waiting and hoping the HRR radar is right about this afternoon.

13 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

There shouldn't be any extended lulls until it shuts off later. The backbuilding area south of RIC will fill in with the stuff to the west and become a solid shield. Rates will go up and down but no true dryslots should happen from the burbs and westward. 

There’s been at least an hour of only flurries here.

4 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I put one on the watch list, don't make it two :lol:

I'd just let it play out...it's 10:20am. 

It started snowing like 2-3 hours ago and will continue all day and people are already calling specific mini region busts. Lol. I guess I see the world differently. It's a great day and we'll see who wins and loses in 8 hours. 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

That band has been mostly just east of me the last hour. Once in a while it clips me and the snow picks up only to fade again. Hopefully that band can shift west about 5 miles at some point. 

It seems to have shifted slightly, still snowing nicely but not as well as 30 min ago

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

Okay...So what went wrong with this event? Too much dry air?

Everything? Timing was later, so snow fell when the sun was up. Dry air ate away precip and also caused a lot of virga early on. The coastal low seemed to take its sweet time getting going. The initial wave seemed stronger than expected and over-performed down south, and maybe that helped steal dynamics from this one. Oh well. Frustrating but at least we will all get an inch or two and some holiday spirit. This was never going to be big. Big fails, especially if the big cities north of us cash in, are the ones that cause me to melt down.

Archived